Process Technology jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TXHunter1089 View Post
    As fishingsetx said a lot of plants are going away from requiring the classes. I work for ExxonMobil and they do not require it, neither does chevron, lyondell, enterprise etc.....my advice and what worked for me, get a list of smaller chem. plants near you and every so often send your resume to every single one of them. They are either going to email telling you to leave them the hell alone or give you an interview! Its a long journey but very much worth it, Good Luck to you sir!
    Since when are they going away from preferring the classes?
    Every interview committee I have been part of prefers either experience, the p tech degree, or both.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
      Every interview committee I have been part of prefers either experience, the p tech degree, or both.
      ExxonMobil is the only company I know that doesn't require experience, or degree. I've worked at 2 other major companies and they all required at least 2 years experience or 2 year degree. Getting a certificate in Process is pointless when companies require the degree. Yes some people luck up and get Process Operator jobs with no experience or degree but its not the norm. Its actually offending to an extent that someone thinks just because they have a 4 year degree they should be able to just get a dumb operator job. IMO in my opinion the experience in 2 year degree should be required everywhere. To many folks hire on and are pointless about what being an Operator is. I remember hiring on and a girl didn't even know it was a shift job.

Comment

I would have to agree with this. If you do go back to school for 2 years, I would suggest I/E. Work days, and have a marketable craft. When my former employer shut down most of our plant, there were a lot of operators that to this day don't have as good of a job as they had. As an instrument tech. I had no problem. I've had two "permanent" jobs since age 52. Quit the first to move to the one I'm currently in.

Comment

Process Technology jobs

So the local community college offers a p tech certificate. It's three semesters of course work ~ 35 hours. Combined with my degree, would it be worth it or would it better to go ahead and get an associates in ptech?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JAGR View Post
            So the local community college offers a p tech certificate. It's three semesters of course work ~ 35 hours. Combined with my degree, would it be worth it or would it better to go ahead and get an associates in ptech?

What would be the difference in course load?
            I personally think I would either go for the associates or nothing. I am currently a production technician with no degree or certificates. I started as a field service technician and got a few years of really good experience. After that was able to easily get an operations job.

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
              I would have to agree with this. If you do go back to school for 2 years, I would suggest I/E. Work days, and have a marketable craft. When my former employer shut down most of our plant, there were a lot of operators that to this day don't have as good of a job as they had. As an instrument tech. I had no problem. I've had two "permanent" jobs since age 52. Quit the first to move to the one I'm currently in.

I'm certified in ACAD because I was originally looking into a career in I/E design. The local community college doesn't offer a instrument tech degree, I believe.

Comment

I've been operating natural gas plants for 5.5 years. Your degree won't get you anywhere in most places. Maybe big refineries but I make more staying where I am. It's hard with a family. I work 14/14 and when I'm on shift I'm 7 hours away the entire 14+. But lots of OT. They don't micromanage me. They know I know how to do my job and leave me alone. You won't get that with the big boys. I came from DCP. They micro manage just like all the others. You'll be under a guy who probably doesn't know how to do your job like you do but talks a big talk and ended up where he is. That's my pet peeve about big companies. I've been offered plant manager positions. I declined until I feel I am very well qualified to tell those guys how to do their job. If you're interested in a 14/14 job in a remote location, PM me. Let's talk.

Comment

My brother and I both got process tech degrees and both got jobs as operators with no experience

Comment

If you're wanting to hire on as an operator, id get the P&T degree, im an operator offshore and got selected for an interview with DuPont sever years ago. they took 40 of us out of 4,000 who tested. I missed getting a spot because I didn't have the degree but had 6 yrs of experience. So in my opinion, go get the degree and make sure you have the upper hand when it comes down to the nut cutting. With the paper and experience it makes you a WAY better candidate on paper.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      I've been operating natural gas plants for 5.5 years. Your degree won't get you anywhere in most places. Maybe big refineries but I make more staying where I am. It's hard with a family. I work 14/14 and when I'm on shift I'm 7 hours away the entire 14+. But lots of OT. They don't micromanage me. They know I know how to do my job and leave me alone. You won't get that with the big boys. I came from DCP. They micro manage just like all the others. You'll be under a guy who probably doesn't know how to do your job like you do but talks a big talk and ended up where he is. That's my pet peeve about big companies. I've been offered plant manager positions. I declined until I feel I am very well qualified to tell those guys how to do their job. If you're interested in a 14/14 job in a remote location, PM me. Let's talk.
                      Don't knock the big boys when it comes to benefits, money, and raises. Being under the microscope can be a pain. And, remote locations can be nice if you do not like being closely supervised. I have done both. I work for Marathon Refining and they bought Mark West. I considered applying for one of the positions they were advertising at their facilities. But, since I am at the top of my pay scale there was no comparison in the pay.

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                        This is what I would suggest also. There's a shortage of I/E Techs. We had a job posted for nearly 6 months before we hired someone, and he's not even really qualified, they just needed to fill the spot, and this is a major chemical company. Even if you don't land a job with a plant right away, you can make $40+hr as a contractor. I hate shift work so I couldn't be an operator.

Comment

Don't knock the big boys when it comes to benefits, money, and raises. Being under the microscope can be a pain. And, remote locations can be nice if you do not like being closely supervised. I have done both. I work for Marathon Refining and they bought Mark West. I considered applying for one of the positions they were advertising at their facilities. But, since I am at the top of my pay scale there was no comparison in the pay.
                          The benefits were nice at DCP. Which is one of the biggest out there which you know. It wasn't worth it. I will say you have to be very self motivated to work like I do out here. If you need to be told what to do then you won't last. Pay is better here for me. But I have turned down done really good offers to go back to 7/7 and move back to west texas. Won't do it unless I have to.

Comment

Take it from someone who worked shift work for 25 years as an operator, add to the degree you have and find another job. Look into safety, take a few classes and take a job to get experience. I moved into a training roll, everyone hates training!

The operator jobs pay well but they put up with a lot of crap. It all started will the PT schools and companies requiring that degree, most have zero talent and no idea how to run a chemical plant so the company tries to make everything idiot proof!

Comment

Like stated above there are only a few companies that do not require a degree. My company requires either a P-Tech degree or 2 years of process experience. That being said, I've been in the industry over 25 years and if I had to do it all over again I would go into I/E or become a millwright. You really never get used to shiftwork and it takes a toll on your body and family.

Comment

Analyzer tech is a really good gig. Normally 4-10's and usually a step above I&E in pay.

Comment

Working...
                                X