Leupold VX5 or VX3i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
    3-15 or 4.5-14 will fit your needs great. Write that 8-25 off your list.

I have 4 VX-3i's and I'm perfectly happy with them, if I need better glass I want it in my binoculars or spotter.

I agree on the 25X magnification. I have (3) scopes with 24-25X magnification in them:

Leupold VX6 4-24
    Zeiss HD5 5-25
    Swarovski Z5 5-25

How many times I have actually used them at 25X while hunting?

ZERO

Anything over 60-65° and the mirage is so bad at 25x that it’s useless anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Anything over about 10x magnification is not important to me, but 50+ objective is. A majority of shots are taken in very low light. I'd look hard at the VX-5HD 3-15x56mm.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyB View Post
        So many options... anyone know of a shop around Houston that has a good inventory I can go look at? Or DFW for that matter, I’ll be there next week.
        Able's ammo in Huntsville usually always has a great selection.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
          Anything over about 10x magnification is not important to me, but 50+ objective is. A majority of shots are taken in very low light. I'd look hard at the VX-5HD 3-15x56mm.
          I just ordered VX-5HD 3-15x56mm and should be in any day. from what I researched it should be a awesome scope and will know in a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by chewy View Post
            I just ordered VX-5HD 3-15x56mm and should be in any day. from what I researched it should be a awesome scope and will know in a few days.

What reticle?

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

fire dot duplex. the scope comes with the custom dial system plus zerolock.

Comment

Went to the store today and they only had the VX3i in stock so could not compare but I really liked them. I have narrowed it down to two choices:

VX-5HD 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2
                VX3i 3.5-10X50mm CDS

I think I am leaning towards the VX3i for these reasons: I like the 50mm reticle, I think 10X magnification will be fine for my hunting and I like it being a little lighter.

Comment

I have the VX3i 3.5-10X40mm CDS. Haven't ordered the CDS yet , need to find the "perfect" round first. The scope is awesome, I'm sure the 50mm version is even better. Great low light visibility.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyB View Post
                    Went to the store today and they only had the VX3i in stock so could not compare but I really liked them. I have narrowed it down to two choices:

VX-5HD 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2

VX3i 3.5-10X50mm CDS

I think I am leaning towards the VX3i for these reasons: I like the 50mm reticle, I think 10X magnification will be fine for my hunting and I like it being a little lighter.

Between those two scopes I'd go with the VX5 all day long. MAYBE if you were considering a VX3i 4.5-14x50 with the 30mm tube and side focus there would be some reason to not go with the VX5........MAYBE. But if those are the two options that you are deciding between then there is only one thing that might point to the VX3i and that is the larger objective. And I'd argue that objective size isn't that big of a deal in this situation. VX5 all the way.

For what it is worth I'm a big fan of Leupold scopes. I currently own four VX3i's and three VX6's. All great scopes. Needs vary. My eyes are open for another VX6 (in New or mint condition) or possibly a VX5. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a small caliber in the APR build and need glass.

Comment

I agree, of those two I'd go with the VX-5. You'll really like the extra magnifaction and can always turn it down.

Here's something many people don't think about....Glass quality trumps objective size. That VX-5 will likely have a sharper image and better low light performance then the 3.

I have a VX6 3-18x44 and it does great at night with minimum light under the feeder as well as dawn and dusk. It's hard to tell the difference between it and my 50mm VX6.

Additionally, you'll really really like the zero stop on the ZL2 model. That would be the difference for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                        I agree, of those two I'd go with the VX-5. You'll really like the extra magnifaction and can always turn it down.

Here's something many people don't think about....Glass quality trumps objective size. That VX-5 will likely have a sharper image and better low light performance then the 3.

I have a VX6 3-18x44 and it does great at night with minimum light under the feeder as well as dawn and dusk. It's hard to tell the difference between it and my 50mm VX6.

Additionally, you'll really really like the zero stop on the ZL2 model. That would be the difference for me.

Yep. All you need is a 4x ratio between max magnification and objective size. Anything beyond that is unnecessary.

Good glass trumps larger objective size every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have both and to me there is absolutely no comparison between the scopes. The 5HD's glass is light years ahead. I also have an original VX6 (not the HD) and I'll rank the 5HD right there with it.

If you look hard online you can find them for around $700.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            Yep. All you need is a 4x ratio between max magnification and objective size. Anything beyond that is unnecessary.
                            Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                            Unnecessary: you're saying you don't think you see more in lower light with a larger objective beyond 4x magnification / objective ratio?

Or that seeing more in lower light beyond a certain point is unnecessary to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                              Unnecessary: you're saying you don't think you see more in lower light with a larger objective beyond 4x magnification / objective ratio?

Or that seeing more in lower light beyond a certain point is unnecessary to you?

A 4mm exit pupil will allow as much light through as your eye pupil will absorb at dusk/dawn. That’s where the 4:1 ratio comes from.

On cheaper glass you *might* see a slight benefit from a larger exit pupil in the scope.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                                A 4mm exit pupil will allow as much light through as your eye pupil will absorb at dusk/dawn. That’s where the 4:1 ratio comes from.

On cheaper glass you *might* see a slight benefit from a larger exit pupil in the scope.

Exactly. However...I just found myself in this same debate for a new scope on my night time predator rifle since my vortex just wasn't having good light transmission. Ended up settling on the VX-5HD 3-15x56mm. Only went with the 56mm since I could get it for just $50 more than the 44. And since I'm using it at night and foxes and be a little tough to hit in the head at low magnification, I can achieve 4mm exit pupil at 14x on the 56mm rather than just 11x on the 44mm..yeah thats splitting hairs but it's worth the $50 to me.

Mike, having the Conquest HD5 and the VX-6 how would you compare them at low light or under a red light? The VX-5HD is supposed to be using the same glass as the VX-6 from what I hear. I just wish the conquest HD5 had an illuminated reticle because some of them are marked down crazy low right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X