No announcement yet.

Why I Switchsd to Thumb Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to a thumb release when I purchased my Triax. Much more comfortable and accurate than the wrist release. Like others have said, I got where I was punching the trigger and my groups suffered quite a bit.

Comment

I bought a true ball max thumb release because I liked the thought of not having something on my wrist all the time. Problem was I had it go off with out pushing the button more than once. Once it happen when I was drawing with no arrow and the string popped off the cam when it released on its own.. Decided I wasn't taking any more chances and went back to the wrist style. May be just a problem with this brand, It also happened to my brother with the same brand release.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
        I bought a true ball max thumb release because I liked the thought of not having something on my wrist all the time. Problem was I had it go off with out pushing the button more than once. Once it happen when I was drawing with no arrow and the string popped off the cam when it released on its own.. Decided I wasn't taking any more chances and went back to the wrist style. May be just a problem with this brand, It also happened to my brother with the same brand release.
        Yikes! Was it a back tension/hinge release or a thumb release that locks on? I haven't had that happen (yet). I've had to be intentional about keeping my thumb inside the thumb trigger while drawing to keep from punching myself in the mouth!
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Yikes! Was it a back tension/hinge release or a thumb release that locks on? I haven't had that happen (yet). I've had to be intentional about keeping my thumb inside the thumb trigger while drawing to keep from punching myself in the mouth!
          let me find a picture of it, not sure exactly what your asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Here's a picture of it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Good video Michael . And welcome to the thumb release world. I started with a cheap one ($10) back when I bought a used compound in '91, my first compound, and put down the recurve. And used them for many years up to about 2000. And yes, I've had them get knocked off while sitting in a tree. Learned to carry a back-up real fast back then . Went with a trigger style about 2000. Then bought another thumb back about 2010. I regularly switch between a thumb and trigger through the year now. Makes me focus more on what I'm doing.

Lets see now: You've switched bow mfgs. And now release types. You gonna switch broadheads next?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                Good video Michael . And welcome to the thumb release world. I started with a cheap one ($10) back when I bought a used compound in '91, my first compound, and put down the recurve. And used them for many years up to about 2000. And yes, I've had them get knocked off while sitting in a tree. Learned to carry a back-up real fast back then . Went with a trigger style about 2000. Then bought another thumb back about 2010. I regularly switch between a thumb and trigger through the year now. Makes me focus more on what I'm doing.

Lets see now: You've switched bow mfgs. And now release types. You gonna switch broadheads next?
                Arrows first!

I'm getting a lot of "encouragement" to go with fixed, COC head for elk. I'm evaluating my options there, but you'll be hard pressed to get me to change from my beloved Jak Hammers for whitetail! I tried following the crowd there once, and learned a lesson. If it ain't broke...
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                  Here's a picture of it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                  I've been using that style for years with no issues. I actually have two of them (one for backup) and use them both regularly with no issues. Definitely not an issue I want to encounter, but for the last 6 or so years I've never had that problem. Wonder if you have a newer model or if they changed manufacturing or something.

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
                    I've been using that style for years with no issues. I actually have two of them (one for backup) and use them both regularly with no issues. Definitely not an issue I want to encounter, but for the last 6 or so years I've never had that problem. Wonder if you have a newer model or if they changed manufacturing or something.
                    I bought my at cabelas about 4 years ago. same with my brothers.

Comment

Very good video Michael. Thanks for sharing your experience of making the switch.

Im interested to see what you rig up for a release tether/lanyard.

Comment

Originally posted by bubba joe View Post
                        i've been thinking about this for a couple of years now
                        Try it, it may take a bit to get used to, but they are great. You will most likely wonder why you didn't do it earlier. At least I did.

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                          I’ve been considering switching since the end of last season, but I can’t justify the amount of some of those releases, however I like the idea of nothing attached to my wrist and wonder if I’d be more accurate with it.
                          I have been dropping hints to my wife about wanting a knock2it for over a year and it does not seem to be working. I almost have enough in the change jar to make the jump.

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
                            I've also been using that release since 2007 and have never had an issue.

Comment

Made the switch last summer to a Carter Wise Choice three finger. For tree stand/blind hunting it can't be beat for the reasons mentioned in the video. I'd be hesitant to use a thumb release on a spot and stalk and not only for the obvious reason of dropping/loosing it because it's not attached to you. You may have to crawl to get the shot needed on an animal and that requires you to pocket it then reattach it to the D loop. That's a lot of extra movement that could alert the animal. It also requires you to take your eyes off the animal and look at your D loop during this movement. I'd rather use an open jaw wrist release like a Spot Hogg Wise Guy that you can attach to the D loop by using your thumb to feel, without having to look down to make sure it' attached.

Comment

I switched to a thumb release about 6 years ago and have never regretted it one bit!

Comment

Working...
                                X