Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm confused about Youth Hunting License.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd spend the $7 and be done with it. Last thing I'd want is to have to debate a game warden.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
      I'd spend the $7 and be done with it. Last thing I'd want is to have to debate a game warden.
      Xmillion

Plus, kids like getting a hunting license. ....makes them feel grown up.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
        Xmillion

Plus, kids like getting a hunting license. ....makes them feel grown up.
        Exactly. I have a 7 and 10 year old. They love getting their licenses each year. For only $7 its just plain silly not to get them one.

Also, you should probably start thinking about getting your hunting buddy his hunter's ed just to be done with it. My oldest son did it last year at 9. He enjoyed the class and never has to worry about it again. I went with him but let him do everything by himself. He liked the responsibility and of course the subject matter was very interesting to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
          If hogs are causing damage on your property or you are the designated agent for the landowner you can kill them without a hunting license and leave them laying in the pasture. If you are hunting hogs on someone else's property or intend to use the meat, what are you doing could be interpreted as hunting.
          Just buy a license, don't leave the situation open to interpenetration.
          X2 this is the way I understand and have explained to people I invite over for pig killing.

Comment

What feral hogs don't cause damage?

Comment

It's been about 12 hours since we've had a game warden debate on here! Roll the dice and let us know how it goes!!!

Or pay $7 and be done with it! If he's never had a license before your going to need his SSN too I think.

Comment

$7 to not have to screw with explaining anything to a warden or risk getting a ticket..........priceless...

There should be no confusion at that cost..

Last edited by Smart; 10-12-2017, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                  If hogs are causing damage on your property or you are the designated agent for the landowner you can kill them without a hunting license and leave them laying in the pasture. If you are hunting hogs on someone else's property or intend to use the meat, what are you doing could be interpreted as hunting.
                  Just buy a license, don't leave the situation open to interpenetration.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	She's_right_you_know_meme.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	24514387

I would just go get a $7 license. Riley thinks it a pretty big deal as well!!

Comment

Kids are prone to changing their mind about things. Sure, you may be on a depredation hunt and intend on letting them lay. But say Jr shoots his first one, wants to keep it or haul it to go show someone, and then all of a sudden it is hunting and not a control hunt, and he doesn't have his license for that.

Go buy the $7 license and cover your 6. Who knows, they might get a chance to hunt a deer or turkey as well and that way you are covered if that opportunity comes up. Depredation can become a grey area at times. For $7 you can steer totally clear of it. What if they get a chance at a coyote while you are out? Coyote, while not a game animal is a furbearing animal. Sure, he could be depredating too. You want to play to prove it game with a GW while you have a kid there that you are trying to introduce to hunting? Once again, steer clear of any potential issues and make any potential experience for them a good one.

Hunters ed is a separate issue. They aren't actually required to have it until 17 years old. But they do have to hunt with a licensed adult who has their Hunters Ed if they don't have it.

Comment

As mentioned before, get the $7 license. My boys love getting theirs and is all part of the experience. He isn't required to have hunters ed but must remain with you while hunting if he doesn't have it.

Good on you for taking the time to get a kid out in the woods!

Comment

Dad's plan has always been to get him his hunting license.
                        We're not/ weren't sure if the Hunter's Ed requirements.
                        Didn't want to get him all excited to go get his license only to be told no you don't have Hunters Ed.

I agree it's better safe than sorry.

This all came up in the last 10 days or so.

My kids are in their mid 20's we did Hunter's Ed before getting it licenses.
                        That was 13 years ago....
                        Last edited by Pushbutton2; 10-12-2017, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Get the license so he get's in the habit of complying with game regs and when the hogs don't show he can legally shoot a few squirrels.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                            Didn't want to get him all excited to go get his license only to be told no you don't have Hunters Ed.

If you can get him thru hunter's ed, look into TYHP if you're not familiar with it. Awesome organization and really fun hunts/experiences for the kiddos. It's a hunt that his parent could go on also, even if no hunting experience. Might just need your help preparing for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post

Sounds like a good plan then. Maybe you can help get him his hunters ed next time it comes around, then he will be set for whatever comes his way later in life. Good on you for helping him out!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                                This always makes me laugh.

Tell that to a game warden, bud.

I agree. Stupid answer to give someone.

To the OP. Just buy him the $7 license and watch the smile on his face. As far as needing hunters ed, as long as you are with him he doesn't need it.

Comment

Working...
                                X