Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NM Elk - UNIT 15 muzzlelaoder - here we come!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NM Elk - UNIT 15 muzzlelaoder - here we come!

Just a few more hours away before the wheels come up (so to speak - we are driving) and we head out to Reserve, NM to hunt the Gila. Bags are packed and we are more than ready to make the 3rd annual Father/Son elk hunting trip. Last two years we hunted Elk in Colorado. Dad is 1 for 2 and I'm 0 for 2. This last year we put in for guided tags and and pulled our first choice Unit 15 and are hoping to both take bulls this year.

Anyone have any experience in this unit?

Last year we hunted private drop camp from bowhuntermac in Grand Junction and that terrain 'bout kicked our tails. It was rough rough!!! I have no real idea what to expect in NM, but I've been told that it's a lot less extreme and easier hiking.

ah - for those interested, this is our first hunt with Muzzleloaders. We've been practicing with our TC Omegas for several months though. Both of us use the same Blackhorn 209 powder and love it and and found the sabot that our guns like the best. I'm getting 4" groups @ 200 yards with that Barnes TMZ 290 grain sabot.

Good luck brother

Comment

Good luck and keep us updated!

Comment

Best of luck to you.

Beautiful area. Spent Memorial Day weekend motorcycling (dual sport) the Gila. Actually spent one night in Reserve when we almost ran out of fuel and were zero on water...rookie mistake as one of the forest roads was closed that had us take the long way to Silver City. Forest service offered water, fuel and a place to bunk which was cool but decided we wanted to be out of the woods. It was dark, there were tons of deer, so we decided Silver City was not to be that night. Interesting little town. For a holiday weekend, most of the woods was fairly deserted.

Diversion but - beautiful area, good luck putting one down.

John

Comment

Which unit A or B?

I've hunted both of them quite a bit. B for elk and we used to run a lot of cats in A

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
            Which unit A or B?

I've hunted both of them quite a bit. B for elk and we used to run a lot of cats in A
            Pretty sure Unit 15 doesn't have A/B. It's just "Unit 15".

Comment

it used too
              road 32 from Apache Creek north to Quemado was the dividing line 15A to the west, 15 B to the east
              I haven't it since 2002 but know it fairly well
              I quit hunting it once USO got there lodge/camp if I remember right it had an airstrip, all built and there were way to many guides running around with radios and too many planes in the air.
              Now I'm not saying they were USO's planes or there guides, just saying it got mighty busy around that unit.

Are you hunting with an outfitter or is it a DYI?
              Last edited by az2tx; 10-18-2010, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                it used too
                road 32 from Apache Creek north to Quemado was the dividing line 15A to the west, 15 B to the east
                I haven't it since 2002 but know it fairly well
                I quit hunting it once USO got there lodge/camp if I remember right it had an airstrip, all built and there were way to many guides running around with radios and too many planes in the air.
                Now I'm not saying they were USO's planes or there guides, just saying it got mighty busy around that unit.

Are you hunting with an outfitter or is it a DYI?
                Ugh- That doesn't sound too good.

I'm using an Outfitter. (All American Outfitter - http://www.gilaguide.com/)
                Came referred to me from texashuntingforum.

Comment

let me know how you do. I would love to book a hunt next year. good luck

Comment

I believe you were apart of that group that put in for the tags. My brother and I got the archery stamps for Unit 23.

23 is the unit just south of 15 but connects. We were camping south right next to the road that devides them. We always heard elk bugling on the north side in that Unit. We saw a couple of big bulls that crossed to our side but couldn't get a shot. We were perched up on one of the peaks and noticed some nice areas over in Unit 15 close by. There are probably better spots but just wanted to let you know.

Comment

good luck!!!

Comment

I hunted unit 15 muzzleloader two years ago. It was a great hunt. Didn't kill one but I did manage to get onto three different bulls. One six, a five and a rag horn. So they are there. Mine was diy so with an outfitter you should do good. Good luck and don't forget the ldp's.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Well?????

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                              Well?????
                              I got skunked. AGAIN!!! I ran around those mountains with my guide from sun up to sun down. Closest I got was 330 yards w/ +40mph wind at a 360 bull on Dillon Mountain. Missed.

Dad got a little barely legal dink bull by sitting in a Double Bull next to a pond the last hunt on the last day.

Will post pics and complete write-up later.

Comment

Working...
                              X