Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

man thats a lot of points!

Comment

Ive read all the stories and I seriously believe I can relate to each and every one of them. LoL

Big Bucks really make people go out of their minds. I've seen grown men loose complete control at the sight of a big buck. Our policy now here at the ranch is if your hunting for a buck you are required to have a guide....Period... and unfortunately for some of my guides we sometimes have to babysit doe hunters too.

Comment

Originally posted by FCTrapper View Post
        Ive read all the stories and I seriously believe I can relate to each and every one of them. LoL

Big Bucks really make people go out of their minds. I've seen grown men loose complete control at the sight of a big buck. Our policy now here at the ranch is if your hunting for a buck you are required to have a guide....Period... and unfortunately for some of my guides we sometimes have to babysit doe hunters too.
        Story time! Storyyy Timeee!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FCTrapper View Post

Reading this comment made me think of an experience a buddy of mine had while guiding a lady hunter down in south texas last year. So this lady and her husband come in to the place he is helping out on and she is allowed to shoot a management buck only. Well needless to say the very first day this huge pretty 3.5 year old 10 point comes rolling in and he is on the do not shoot list. Needless to say she goes nuts and is wanting to shoot this deer. The entire time he is telling her no and trying to explain why. Well he finally leaves and the deer she is allowed to shoot smallish 8pt that was 5.5 strolls in and she refuses to shoot the deer because she wants to shoot the 10 pt This goes on for 3 days and he finally breaks her down and she is going to shoot the 8 pt. Well he becomes a no show for the next 2 days and finally shows up on the last evening of the hunt and she was bitching the entire time afterwords about not being able to shoot the 10 pt and having to shoot the little 8pt and on and on. But like I told him if he hadn't been there she would have smoked that 10 pt with tons of potential on a management hunt. So it may be a pain to have to baby sit folks but it is worth it in the end if you are truly serious about managing the herd.

Comment

Originally posted by BBRU View Post
            After reading all these stories, I'd have to question the the validity of some of these so called "friends". To me it's pretty cut and dry, you shoot what you are supposed to shoot and that's it. If you don't like it, pound sand. I've had the privilege to hunt on many different ranches with absolute monsters. Some I got to shoot, and others that I couldn't, not once did I break the rules. I value the friendships of the folks that invited me and never wanted to break their trust. Because of that, I continually have been invited back and taken bigger animals every time. These stories are precisely why most land owners are apprehensive about letting people hunt their land.
            Huh friends? Family is worse than friends.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
              Here is the rack to the deer I took. My dad surprised me by staining them it's dad, what can I say.

My size ten shoe for refrence

With a .270 round for reference

Whoa. I cannot get over that the owners son gave you the go ahead to shoot something with 9 points on 1 side in exchange for auto work. My child would have their hide tanned over that mess. Oh man, makes my heart sink just thinking about it. But what a nice ranch owner in the way he handled it with you. And a story of a lifetime for you! More than likely he could have just bought another truck for the price of that buck!

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                Reading this comment made me think of an experience a buddy of mine had while guiding a lady hunter down in south texas last year. So this lady and her husband come in to the place he is helping out on and she is allowed to shoot a management buck only. Well needless to say the very first day this huge pretty 3.5 year old 10 point comes rolling in and he is on the do not shoot list. Needless to say she goes nuts and is wanting to shoot this deer. The entire time he is telling her no and trying to explain why. Well he finally leaves and the deer she is allowed to shoot smallish 8pt that was 5.5 strolls in and she refuses to shoot the deer because she wants to shoot the 10 pt This goes on for 3 days and he finally breaks her down and she is going to shoot the 8 pt. Well he becomes a no show for the next 2 days and finally shows up on the last evening of the hunt and she was bitching the entire time afterwords about not being able to shoot the 10 pt and having to shoot the little 8pt and on and on. But like I told him if he hadn't been there she would have smoked that 10 pt with tons of potential on a management hunt. So it may be a pain to have to baby sit folks but it is worth it in the end if you are truly serious about managing the herd.

and she wouldn't be invited back to my land. Complaining about hunting

Comment

I hunted with a guy once who shot a nice red stag thinking it was a sika, with his bow. $3k trophy fee.

Comment

I took a friend bowhunting on a ranch in Llano Co years ago. There were a few goats running loose and my friend saw an old billy and just went nuts! he was going to shoot it or else! I absolutely refused to let the guy kill the old man goat! Two days later, I was telling the owner about it and he laughed. He said," Heck, let him shoot the old Ba----d. Kill fee is 400 bucks. I aint ever got that kind of money for a goat." That goats on someones wall right now.

Comment

Up. Need some more stories

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                        I took a friend bowhunting on a ranch in Llano Co years ago. There were a few goats running loose and my friend saw an old billy and just went nuts! he was going to shoot it or else! I absolutely refused to let the guy kill the old man goat! Two days later, I was telling the owner about it and he laughed. He said," Heck, let him shoot the old Ba----d. Kill fee is 400 bucks. I aint ever got that kind of money for a goat." That goats on someones wall right now.
                        lol

Comment

I have a good buddy that I have grown up hunting with (on my lease the last 20 years) and I would frequently take him and his son hunting at my place. He was allowed to shoot a few bucks but usually was only allowed does, hogs and spikes. About 10 years ago I took him and his 8 year old out and dropped them off and said go ahead and take anything but a mature buck (my bad for leaving it open to interpretation). I drop them off and hear a shot a little after sun up. When I pull up to pick them up I see a monster buck for our place laying in the road-I was po'ed but kept it to myself in front of the kid (the kid shot it at least) The buck was a 6 yo 10 and weighed 150lbs-the heaviest deer killed on our lease in the 24 years we have been on it. I still take him all the time but if he hadn't done this I would likely let him go without me but I am still haunted by this so I don't trust him totally.

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
                            I have a good buddy that I have grown up hunting with (on my lease the last 20 years) and I would frequently take him and his son hunting at my place. He was allowed to shoot a few bucks but usually was only allowed does, hogs and spikes. About 10 years ago I took him and his 8 year old out and dropped them off and said go ahead and take anything but a mature buck (my bad for leaving it open to interpretation). I drop them off and hear a shot a little after sun up. When I pull up to pick them up I see a monster buck for our place laying in the road-I was po'ed but kept it to myself in front of the kid (the kid shot it at least) The buck was a 6 yo 10 and weighed 150lbs-the heaviest deer killed on our lease in the 24 years we have been on it. I still take him all the time but if he hadn't done this I would likely let him go without me but I am still haunted by this so I don't trust him totally.
                            So he was to kill a young buck, or just a doe? I may have missed it. On the bright side, he didnt kill a 3 yo stud with a lot of potential I guess.

Comment

I've got a friend that I use to invite to my lease every year. The last time he showed up I told him either mature bucks or mature does only. "Just make sure you don't shoot a nubbin buck"
                              Dad and I hear him shoot early in the hunt and right at dark we go pick him up. The guy started appoligizing before I even got out of the truck. He shot the first doe that he saw and put it down. The only problem, it was a fawn and might have weighed 50 lbs. I told him that I wasn't mad and that it wasn't a problem.
                              He was so upset that he gave himself a migrain waiting on me to pick him up and has never come back even after I've invited him several more times. I kind of felt sorry for the guy, but it wasn't a big deal since it was a doe.

Comment

Bump for some more stories!

Comment

Working...
                                X