"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bluenavigator View Post
    Went below the dam last Saturday. Oh boy, it was COLD! 43°F at dawn. Plenty of tracks but no hog. I went there at same spot 2 weeks ago, someone left broken arrow in the ground. I didn't pay attention to that. Last Saturday, I went to the same spot where I found the broken arrow. It was bait for hog. At first, I didn't realize what it was there for. Now there are 2 small carters busted by the hogs. Hummm... sure enough that there are hogs somewhere. I am sure that they found the bait within 2 days. Just wonder who put the bait there...

Im new to hog hunting too. How was the broken arrow bait?

Comment

It isn't even called broken arrow bait. Just bait. The broken arrow was there as marker, that's all.

Comment

It is legal to bait for hogs out there right?

Comment

ya you can bait

Comment

I thought so but wanted to make sure. Thanks gbeard. have any luck lately?

Comment

None in the past couple of weeks. I ran all of the pigs out of the pasture. Im sure they'll come back soon though

Comment

Yeah, have to go back several times and be patience. Soon or later, they will come back. Remember that they are very active at nights that we are not allowed to hunt during the dark hours.

Comment

Originally posted by bluenavigator View Post
                  Yeah, have to go back several times and be patience. Soon or later, they will come back. Remember that they are very active at nights that we are not allowed to hunt during the dark hours.
                  I hunt on private land behind the dam and i dont want them to come back.

Comment

Hunting Granger is really hard work. I like it because its hard. Most people go there once or twice and then give up. I do not blame them.

Yes you can bait but IMO it does not work very good. I put up a feeder last year but they never came to it while it was light... Except for once when I had it in the thick ragweed, I saw one right before dark but never stepped out.

In order to bait you need to find out where the pigs bed up during the day, without busting them out. Then in the afternoon make a light corn trail around where they bed and then sit in a tree down wind from the corn trail. IF they hit the corn right before dark they will feed and move fast IF your corn trail is light enough. 2-4 lbs of corn should get you a 100 yard trail.

But just because you find where they bed one night does not mean they will be there the next, but it works sometimes.

Comment

I like the nasty black bean looking corn it will pull the hogs to you.

Comment

Went out this morning and saw nothing. hunted below the dam and the primitive camping area but nothing. It was a nice morning to be out though..

Comment

Nice weather this morning! Wish that I am out there right now! Unfortunately I am working right now...... :-(

Comment

Nice weather is bad for hog hunting. I like overcast or at least mostly cloudy. The only time I had a hog come to bait during legal hours was on an overcast evening.

Comment

Have to take some time off in January and spend a few quality days camping and hunting at Granger. If you see a hammock and a fire with a longbow hanging in the tree stop on by.

Comment

This morning, more heavy fogs. Fog is bad for hunting hogs??? Why is that? I know heavy overcast is good but I don't see fog being bad for the hunting.

Comment

Working...
                                X