"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by basscast View Post
    I've been reading this thread and was beginning to wonder if anyone ever shoots a hog there, congrats.
    There are no hogs at GRANGER!!!!!

Go hunt them anyway.
    Last edited by Wudstix; 10-26-2009, 11:12 AM.

Comment

This rain should make the hog hunting good. Too much work, too little free time.

Comment

Yep this is when I shot mine. It was raining like this but it was a pain dragging them out. But it should be nicw the rest of the week for some hog hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bubba's bulletman View Post

After that I'll talk to Johnny and see it he wants to go down and find the doe, weight and log it in the harvest record.

Did you ever find your doe?

What was the final fo does and bucks?

Comment

Originally posted by heartshot View Post
            Did you ever find your doe?

What was the final fo does and bucks?
            No Sir. Coyotes got it I'm sure.

I think the total was 2 doe, a 62lbs and one smaller, both taken in unit D and the buck taken in unit A pictured above.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bubba's bulletman View Post
              No Sir. Coyotes got it I'm sure.

I think the total was 2 doe, a 62lbs and one smaller, both taken in unit D and the buck taken in unit A pictured above.
              I sure wish I knew which area I was going to be in. Can you tell me what areas were hunted, and about how many hunters per area?

I put in by myself, so I'm a group of one. Would love to hunt A, B, or C.

Comment

Originally posted by heartshot View Post
                I sure wish I knew which area I was going to be in. Can you tell me what areas were hunted, and about how many hunters per area?

I put in by myself, so I'm a group of one. Would love to hunt A, B, or C.
                You'll be in A B C D or E. Your unit is decided by TPWD's computer program draw order.

Since you're by yourself you might end up in A with another single or E. I'm just guessing.

Call the hunter check station and leave a message for Johnny or Trey, maybe they have the order sheet by now and will tell you.

Remember that there can be cancellations up until the day of the hunt even by people who pay. That changes placement. I remember an ice storm several years ago that a lot of paid hunters didn't show and I was invited out and would have gotten a good spot but I was ICED in myself less than an hour away.

I wouldn't worry about what area you get. You can take Monday afternoon to scout your area really well to find a trail to set up on. You won't run the deer off. They're used to all us hog hunters. They'll come back.

Just make sure you have all your stuff and be ready to see a monster at any moment.

Please shoot a doe and as many hog as you can.

Don't shoot the button bucks; some are as big as does already. Use you binoculars.

Enjoy the WMA, it's a true Texas treasure Johnny and Trey have made better every year.

Comment

PS. Do not bring a firearm to the WMA other than your concealed carry piece. If you take a firearm onto the unit and the gamewarden checks you and finds it(and they look for this one specifically) you will be ticketed.

Remember to keep it at the hotel or at home.

Comment

I am thinking about showing up for the standby positions next hunt. Do you think the odds are in my favor that I would still be able to hunt? How much do you have to pay if there are standby positions?

Comment

Has anyone been to the food plots on the WMA. Just wondering if the army worms are tearing them up yet. They are hitting mine hard and I am really close by.

Comment

I didn't see any last week in G. I'll say the plot didn't look good in general.

I did find army worms in one of my food plots yesterday.

Comment

went out to 6 today,man the lake is up,we couldnt even walk to the panisula the waters up that much.skeeters r still pretty bad,seen a bunch of deer but no hogs,lotsa tracks though

Comment

Went below the dam last Saturday. Oh boy, it was COLD! 43°F at dawn. Plenty of tracks but no hog. I went there at same spot 2 weeks ago, someone left broken arrow in the ground. I didn't pay attention to that. Last Saturday, I went to the same spot where I found the broken arrow. It was bait for hog. At first, I didn't realize what it was there for. Now there are 2 small carters busted by the hogs. Hummm... sure enough that there are hogs somewhere. I am sure that they found the bait within 2 days. Just wonder who put the bait there...

Comment

What is a Carter?

Sorry for the ignorance but I have not hunted hogs much, Just started going to Granger for Hogs several weeks ago. But what is a Carter ? Just curious , Thanks

Comment

Oops! I meant crater, didn't notice that I mistyped that word. It meant a "bowl-shaped" hole in the ground. Hogs dig in the ground for foods, using their tusks.

Comment

Working...
                                X