Hourly VS Salary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
    When my company asked me to come in to the office they initaionally tried to pay me what I was making in the field, but I lost my company truck.
    After discussing how I was getting screwed they matched what I was making with overtime and gave me a truck allowance and yearly bonus.
    I now make more than double what I made in the field.
    I would recommend discussing your terms now instead of waiting.
    good idea, I first have to get the job offer, then I will discuss terms

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
      I took a pay hit to come to my current position, but it was absolutely worth it. I was working 70-90 hour weeks hourly before this, and currently 35-45 hour weeks at only a 10-15% pay cut. I see the house every night except when I’m traveling, which is at my own discretion. I have more responsibility now, but it takes less time to accomplish. I wouldn’t trade it at all. I’m about 3 years in now, and my current salary is about where I was hourly though. It sure is nice having that constant check though.
      After looking into this, I believe you are right. So many people enjoy the salary rather than hourly pay. I think its just the fear of the unknown for people who have been hourly for their whole career.

Comment

With the company I work for, an hourly/union employee moving into a basement salaried job will be paid about what his base pay was as an hourly employee. Some jobs are paid OT and some are not. If not, I would lose 30-40K in OT. If this person was in for the long haul he/she could move up the ladder and be far ahead in a few years and not have to work nights/weekends to make it. Not wanting to go salaried, I am topped out salary wise save for the yearly bumps which salaried also get.

Comment

Tell them you will do it if they make you salaried non-exempt...You get paid for a 40 hour week whether you work 40 or not but do get paid for overtime.

Comment

If you are hourly, this is how you should do it. Overtime pay is not technically part of your wage- what I mean is you get an hourly rate for working so many hours a week, generally 40. Overtime is to pay you if there is something extra going on where you will have to work over or asked to fill in for someone who is sick or on vacation. Learn to live on that. If you want to buy you or your wife/girlfriend something nice or go on vacation or pay for a hunt work overtime to pay for it. Remember this also, working overtime is great...making all this money...until God forbid your wife decides to divorce you and all that extra money is used to help figure spousal support.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
              Tell them you will do it if they make you salaried non-exempt...You get paid for a 40 hour week whether you work 40 or not but do get paid for overtime.
              that would be nice but I don't believe they do that where I work.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                If you are hourly, this is how you should do it. Overtime pay is not technically part of your wage- what I mean is you get an hourly rate for working so many hours a week, generally 40. Overtime is to pay you if there is something extra going on where you will have to work over or asked to fill in for someone who is sick or on vacation. Learn to live on that. If you want to buy you or your wife/girlfriend something nice or go on vacation or pay for a hunt work overtime to pay for it. Remember this also, working overtime is great...making all this money...until God forbid your wife decides to divorce you and all that extra money is used to help figure spousal support.
                I budget very well and the OT pay is not a necessity, with that being said, I don't want to lose that extra money either. I'm fine with a slight pay cut but not 15K a year

Comment

Originally posted by brnhtown View Post
                  I budget very well and the OT pay is not a necessity, with that being said, I don't want to lose that extra money either. I'm fine with a slight pay cut but not 15K a year

You are only looking at the short term. You’ve already said you are basically topped out in an hourly position. If you have more opportunity to take the salary position that is a no brainer IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Look into the bonus structure if there is one. Where I work the salary folk get a much larger bonus to compensate for the lack of OT. It still doesn’t make up for it, but it gets them close plus they have desk jobs

Comment

I'm salary + overtime, so I have the best of both worlds. I used to be salary and chaffed at how many hours I was often expected to work past 40. While I took a pay-cut for salary/overtime, I'm often doing 91 hour weeks, so I make about twice as much.
                      Last edited by sir shovelhands; 06-16-2018, 01:25 PM.

Comment

We never got overtime when we were hourly they switched to salaries no we have it all time

Comment

It’s hard to give up overtime. I would try to stay on hourly plus O.T.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            You are only looking at the short term. You’ve already said you are basically topped out in an hourly position. If you have more opportunity to take the salary position that is a no brainer IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            I'm not topped out in the pay scale, I meant that I'm out of promotions or advancement in the hourly jobs. Any step for a promotion for me would have to be a salary job. If I was topped out in pay then yes, no brainer, of course

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
                              Look into the bonus structure if there is one. Where I work the salary folk get a much larger bonus to compensate for the lack of OT. It still doesn’t make up for it, but it gets them close plus they have desk jobs
                              this is something I found out recently, the exempt employees get a better bonus than the non-exempt employees. So yes, it should help get the pay close or break even. Thanks for the suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailfanatic View Post
                                We never got overtime when we were hourly they switched to salaries no we have it all time
                                funny how it works like that huh? jk of course

Comment

Working...
                                X