How to pick a watermellon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was wanting to get some watermelons but didn't know how to choose a good one. I've heard some tricks but wanted to see if anyone on here knew how to pick a good sweet watermellon

Take a bite of it ! Almost all melons were good when I was a kid, now not so much. I've been fooled a bunch in the last few years. The ones you buy now should be good, the early ones are usually not. That's all I got.

Comment

The Good ones taste like everclear.

Comment

Bigger the yellow spot where it was sitting on ground the sweeter it is.

Comment

Just threw one out. Tasted like water....

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post

This! If where it was sitting on the ground is white, don't buy it. If it's yellow and covers a lot of area then it will be very ripe and sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Needs to be heavy
              Make sure it has a good yellow spot from where it sat on the ground. Yellow means it wasn't picked too early
              Look to see if there is any webbing on the ends. The gray papery looking stuff.

I started doing it like this and haven't gotten a bad one yet

Who doesn’t love watermelon? Most people are obsessed with this delicious and refreshing fruit. Sometimes we think that unless you’re an experienced farmer, buying a juicy, tasty, fully ripe, and sweet watermelon is hit or miss. However, it doesn’t have to be if you look for a few things when you’re picking out your melon. In fact, you can tell whether a watermelon is ripe without actually cutting it. Today, we at Bright Side would like to share some tips from experienced farmers that will help you to choose the finest watermelon ever.

Comment

Originally posted by brianl View Post
                bigger the yellow spot where it was sitting on ground the sweeter it is.
                this!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                  That is generally the way to do it.

Comment

More round than oval, it doesn't have to be big, the vine if present should be mostly dried up, and a decently large yellow spot on the bottom. Also found that seeded are sweeter than the seedless but that one is a personal opinion.

Comment

I used to grow them. I used the redwing boot method. Stomp grab the heart go on to the next if not satisfied

Comment

Good info
                        Last edited by TallTexan; 08-11-2017, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Wow thanks everyone that is done good info, all of it. I'm headed to the store to see if I can find one that fits the descriptions

Comment

If the curl is dead it's ripe enough to eat. If it thumps solid it's NOT ripe enough. If it thumps hollow it is ripe. If the rind epidermis peels easy it's ripe.
                            And last but not least is the old straw trick

Comment

The webbing or brown looking cracks on the outside are a good indicator as well. These spots are caused by the sugar trying to escape.

Comment

Working...
                              X