East Texas Turkey "Super Stocking"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
    Sorry to be a downer guys, but varmints are gonna keep turkeys down in East Texas. Coons, possums, skunks, coyotes, and hogs, and even your own dogs. Ground nesting birds don't have much of a chance to get started. Years ago, people shot and trapped, and ate, all the above ( except for yotes and dogs of course ). Not so much anymore. The hogs are the main problem. They also kill their share of new born fawns. And getting to be more of them every day.
    Not doubting/arguing but there are lots of Easterns doing well all over the south with the same predators.

GE staff was encouraging taking all predators on some of the hunts we made. They said the turkeys were being introduced and they wanted them to have a good chance

Comment

It would great success story if these birds survive and multiply.

Comment

Didn't work in the 1990's why do they think it will work now? I heard the rumors that they released Rio Grande birds, but i also heard they released Eastern birds at that time also. Maybe this time they will take. i have to give credit to NWTF and TPW for trying it agian if the habiat is there. The stocking in the late 90's worked good in Lamar and Red River Co. I've hunted and harvested birds on the PatMayse WMA several times and see them while driving around several times a year.

Comment

Sorry to be a downer guys, but varmints are gonna keep turkeys down in East Texas. Coons, possums, skunks, coyotes, and hogs, and even your own dogs. Ground nesting birds don't have much of a chance to get started. Years ago, people shot and trapped, and ate, all the above ( except for yotes and dogs of course ). Not so much anymore. The hogs are the main problem. They also kill their share of new born fawns. And getting to be more of them every day.
          Yep. And the FIRE ANT is a huge problem also for any ground nester.
          Our turkey population in Brady has decline dramatically over the last 9 years since the fire ants showed up. 14 years ago when we first leased the place there were none(ants).Now they are everywhere.

Easterns are supposed to be more Adapted to fire ants than Rios from everything I've read. Hope it works.

Comment

I wonder why the first stockings didn't do well? Are they just gonna try and overwhelm with numbers this time?

Comment

Wish they would put some at Old Sabine Wildlife Area!

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                Wish they would put some at Old Sabine Wildlife Area!
                Been about 20yrs ago but they did turn some loose there. Don't think any are still around though. About 5yrs after they turned them loose is when I saw the last one there

Comment

Why cant we organize a Gus Engling Varmint hunt to try and help out?!

Comment

Would love to hear gobblers in east Texas.

Comment

Coyotes gonna be happy!

Comment

Its not fire ants or predators that are the problem, they have both in Louisiana, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida, and other southern states and Eastern Turkeys are doing great. It is habitat, and specifically brood habitat. What is different about these stockings are they are based on the superstocking method and not the traditional block stocking method used in the past. Turkeys are doing okay in East Texas where the habitat is good. I know folks that kill Easterns in Texas every year. This stocking method is based on the research study that Jason Isabelle did at SFA a couple of years back. I hope it works and turkeys rebound in East Texas!

Comment

Houston county, the state tracked two nesting pair to our property a couple years ago. A turkey has been in the area of this stand for about 3 years

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
                            All the predators is a problem for sure.
                            Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                            I wonder why the first stockings didn't do well? Are they just gonna try and overwhelm with numbers this time?
                            One major factor not mentioned as to why specifically in East Texas things didn't work out too well is the worst predator on the list is them "good ol' boys" what live there. This stocking will include the GPS tracking devices so maybe that will help control losses to "predators" some.

Comment

FIL says he wild turkeys at their place in Bonham. We don't have any near where I am.

Comment

They are supposed to be stocked on our place too....Freestone county side of the Trinity.....

Comment

Working...
                                X