Hourly VS Salary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hourly VS Salary

So I'm sure there has been threads like this in the past, I couldn't find much info on the subject so here we go.

I've always been an hourly employee, today I applied for a salary job. The position is a pay increase as far as base pay but I'm going to take a pay cut as far as losing my OT. Of course, if I am selected for the position. How do you negotiate as far as trying to make up for some of the OT that will be lost? I could see it being around $10k-$15k paycut

Tell it like it is. They'll understand (but not necessarily agree)

Comment

Give us some additional information, will you still be expected to working a full day- every day? i.e. no liberties when the work is slow?

Value of some extra time away from work for family, and still get paid?

Weekend work?

Overtime=comp time?

Union now? No representation afterward?

Comment

Friend went through this recently. I'm not sure where he heard it from but he was told to ask for the average of the last 5 years tax return. He came from a position with lots of OT

Comment

I had this exact situation happen. I was working hourly and averaging about 48 hours a week. I got offered a promotion that was essentially a job that was grooming me for the next step in the company. I said I was interested in moving to that role but when they told me the salary it was just as you described. I would be losing about $10,000 per year. I simply told my manager that while I was eager to start the new position I could not take the hit financially. Since my current position was a dead end and they wanted to keep me around, they asked what I made the previous year including OT and put my salary a few percentage points above that.

Comment

If you are comparing your current pay with overtime to you proposed pay at 40 hours per week that’s not a fair comparison.

I’ll tell you I went salary many years ago and wouldn’t want to go back to hourly. It’s nice knowing I don’t HAVE to work the overtime to make the same or more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
              Give us some additional information, will you still be expected to working a full day- every day? i.e. no liberties when the work is slow?

Value of some extra time away from work for family, and still get paid?

Weekend work?

Overtime=comp time?

Union now? No representation afterward?
              I will still be expected to work a full day, leaving early is not a problem to balance out the times I will work later. Schedule is Mon-fri, 8hr work day. Some travel around tx but that is very limited. Will be home every night. NO union

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
                Friend went through this recently. I'm not sure where he heard it from but he was told to ask for the average of the last 5 years tax return. He came from a position with lots of OT
                this sounds fair

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
                  My boss came to me with this proposal. He regretted it when he actually pulled the average, lol. But he stuck to it. I like knowing that my pay check is the same no matter what, Dr. appt., rain, etc.....

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                    I had this exact situation happen. I was working hourly and averaging about 48 hours a week. I got offered a promotion that was essentially a job that was grooming me for the next step in the company. I said I was interested in moving to that role but when they told me the salary it was just as you described. I would be losing about $10,000 per year. I simply told my manager that while I was eager to start the new position I could not take the hit financially. Since my current position was a dead end and they wanted to keep me around, they asked what I made the previous year including OT and put my salary a few percentage points above that.
                    this sounds about right for me. Most of the times on a bi weekly check I have 10-20hrs OT. But there are plenty of times I have way more than that. Taking a pay loss, really makes it not seem like a promotion

Comment

I was asked once what my thoughts were on going to a salary pay for same job I was doing hourly

I said I was not interested in working more hours for less pay as any overtime would be lost. I was told that they would factor overtime worked the past year into the salary number.
                      Told them that would not help me because I had worked 0 overtime in past year. Told them I did not want overtime

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        If you are comparing your current pay with overtime to you proposed pay at 40 hours per week that’s not a fair comparison.

I’ll tell you I went salary many years ago and wouldn’t want to go back to hourly. It’s nice knowing I don’t HAVE to work the overtime to make the same or more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        You're right for sure, I understand I wouldn't be working the same hours as before. I'm just trying to figure out how to try and close the gap on the pay loss some.

Comment

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
                          My boss came to me with this proposal. He regretted it when he actually pulled the average, lol. But he stuck to it. I like knowing that my pay check is the same no matter what, Dr. appt., rain, etc.....
                          for sure, makes budgeting things a lot easier, I imagine

Comment

Originally posted by brnhtown View Post
                            I will still be expected to work a full day, leaving early is not a problem to balance out the times I will work later. Schedule is Mon-fri, 8hr work day. Some travel around tx but that is very limited. Will be home every night. NO union
                            I'm expected to work a full day, unless it's slow. My normal day is @0530 to @1400 in the office, and VPN remote until @1700. I can grab couple hours here and there for something I need to do, but I also work a few Saturdays and Sundays throughout the year not to mention travel throughout the year. My manager doesn't keep up with it, and I try to fairly balance it.

Are you union today in your hourly position?

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                              I'm expected to work a full day, unless it's slow. My normal day is @0530 to @1400 in the office, and VPN remote until @1700. I can grab couple hours here and there for something I need to do, but I also work a few Saturdays and Sundays throughout the year not to mention travel throughout the year. My manager doesn't keep up with it, and I try to fairly balance it.

Are you union today in your hourly position?
                              the company I work for is very laid back in terms of handling personal business when things are slow. Almost to laid back, at times. Great company and a lot of very good people. No union at all

Comment

Working...
                              X