No announcement yet.

variable scopes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It went over my head too...may wanna try a smiley for us slower folks next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post

Or perhaps he would still be hunting with a 270 and a 6x weaver.
      And nothing wrong with that on my part. Not much out there in the US that it couldn't handle. I don't find the need for 300-600 yards shots either, or further, that several folks on here brag about. Just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
        So you’re aiming your rifle at something you’re not sure you want to shoot?
        lol wut

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          You do bring up a good point about the 4 rules.
          Not really.

1. Always treat every firearm as though it is loaded.
          2. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
          3. Keep your finger outside the trigger guard until ready to shoot.
          4. Always be sure of your target and what is in front of it and behind it.

even by NRA:

1. The Gun Is Always Loaded
          2. Never Point The Gun At Something You Are Not Prepared To Destroy
          3. Always Be Sure Of Your Target And What Is Behind It
          4. Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until

aiming at a game animal that is a hunting target is not a violation of any rule or principle of gun safety... the troll just got his bait bit. Gloating about it adds a touch of class.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
            Not really.

1. Always treat every firearm as though it is loaded.
            2. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
            3. Keep your finger outside the trigger guard until ready to shoot.
            4. Always be sure of your target and what is in front of it and behind it.

even by NRA:

1. The Gun Is Always Loaded
            2. Never Point The Gun At Something You Are Not Prepared To Destroy
            3. Always Be Sure Of Your Target And What Is Behind It
            4. Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until

aiming at a game animal that is a hunting target is not a violation of any rule or principle of gun safety... the troll just got his bait bit. Gloating about it adds a touch of class.
            According to Example 1, rules 1, 2, and potentially 4 are being broken. According to the NRA, rule number 2 seems especially shattered, assuming you don’t care if you shoot a calf, kid, or lamb. Those rules don’t apply to experienced riflemen such as me.

Hell, on second thought, I look through the scope on my Remington 700 varmint rifle to check ear tags on cows, license plate numbers on passing vehicles, and bird watching in the local park. You needn’t worry though; it’s on Safe.

Hurl a golf ball into a dark room, and tell me who yells....
            Last edited by TacticalCowboy; 05-25-2018, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Snipers used fixed 10x. Cowboys used iron sights. Etc etc. welcome to 2018. We have options to extend a shooters range in many ways. Pretty much all my optics are 3-18 or 4-16 FFP. I have the ability to crank them up. I keep most of them on a very low power for fast running shots or up close shots. I crank them up to stretch them out. Same gun I’ve shot to 1800 with has made kills well under 100. I try to not limit myself. “It’s too far to see” won’t be said. Get closer if you don’t want to shoot that far but at least you get a good look at what you’re about to spend time stalking. I don’t care what anyone used 50+ years ago. Buy the equipment that puts success more in your favor. That animal will look the same on the wall and in the freezer whether you used irons or an S&B.

Comment

I almost always keep my scopes on the lowest power until I need to crank it up. Some other times on lower powered scopes, 2-7x, for example, I will leave it on 4X if I have a potential of a 75 yard or longer shot.

Comment

Working...
                X