Soil samples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soil samples

Looking at getting a pretty large slab poured for barndo or conex home.
    Looking for any info on companies that do soil samples that can tell me what I need to do on my property as far as prep work. Stabilizing, building up or anything like that.

You need to hire a Geotech, they will handle it all! Im sure there is 100 to choose from out of Houston!

Comment

geotechnical, materials, testing, environmental

These are 2 big commercial geo firms we use.

Comment

Yes Geotechnical soil study is what you need.

The report will give you a plasticity index, moisture content, and other info needed select the proper foundation system.

You may have to export some of you existing soil if it’s really bad and import “select fill” soil to put down. All depends on what you have to work with.

The whole point of this is to reduce expansion or shrinking of soil under or adjacent to foundation/slab so you do not have settlement or cracking issues.

A good structure is only as strong as it’s foundation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with the geotech. Its $1000-1500 well spent for them to drill the ground and make some recommendations to give to the foundation engineers.

Comment

Thanks guys for the info.
            I called one yesterday and dagum he was high.
            He told me for the size slab im wanting to do he would have to do 5-6 cores. at $34.00 a foot he stated he recommended 20 foot cores. came out to $4080.00

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
              I agree with the geotech. Its $1000-1500 well spent for them to drill the ground and make some recommendations to give to the foundation engineers.
              Remember you pay for what you get on reports. Drilling alone is 600 remainder for lab testing and analysis. Just be cautious just because you got a report doesn't mean it is correct or the contractor is going to follow the guidelines set forth in the report. I bet Alpha testing won't touch that job.
              Good luck

Comment

Our foundation guy just dug out 3 foot and used road base to build it up 4ft. One ft above grade.

I was told an engineered foundation is crazy expensive and not necessary. Just dig it out, fill with base. Base was a lot cheaper. Hope he is right.

Comment

Working...
                X