Ammo suggestion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ammo suggestion?

I bought a CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel a couple weeks ago. The scope finally arrived, and I mounted it today...a VX-3i 2.5-8x36. With the Warne rings, the total package is 7.3#. I’m really liking it so far.

I need to get to the range to shoot, but I’m stuck with factory ammo. So far I have a few boxes of Hornady SST 123 gr.

Any other factory ammo I should try? I’m not too far from Academy or Cabela’s and I buy online on occasion (especially in bulk).

Click image for larger version

Name:	96CA6DB8-82CA-42C9-87B8-43EE6DD78561.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	25132117

120gr NBT from AA is usually crazy accurate and very effective.

Comment

This is what the SST did to this pig this weekend.

Comment

I bought some Hornady Black eld match today at Academy. I hear some hunt with this bullet guess we will see.

They also had Federal Fusion 120 grain. Not a ton of choices.

Nice looking rifle!
        Last edited by KC Huntin; 11-06-2017, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
          This is what the SST did to this pig this weekend.
          Dang!!

Comment

Good looking stock on that CZ

the Hornady SST and Federal Fusion will work well for you as hunting loads. If you want lots more hunting with the Grendel information go read some on http://www.65grendel.com/forum/forum.php it is a small forum dedicated to the 6.5 Grendel.

For lots of videos of shooting hogs with the Grendel and some with necropasies check out youtube "carpe sus" channel. Brisn has lots of experience killing hogs with the Grendel and usually uses he hornady SST factory loads. there are some reviews of other bullets like Berger VLD hunting 130gr and cavity back bullets

I have used the Hornady SST and A-Max loads and the SST will give you more of a chance for exit than the A-Max bullets. Have not tried Fusion in my rifle, most of the time I am using reloads and this year it is loaded with 129gr long range accubonds.

Not mine but exit on a fox from a 129gr LRAB bullet out of a Grendel, some bonded bullets expand very well as the fox does not offer much resistance.

Last edited by kmon; 11-07-2017, 02:53 PM.

Comment

^^^^ thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by KC Huntin View Post
                I bought some Hornady Black eld match today at Academy. I hear some hunt with this bullet guess we will see.
                That's a paper-punching bullet. You really shouldn't use it for deer.

OP, if you want to punch paper, or you just want to see how well your rifle can shoot, I would definitely try the Hornady Black 123gr ELD-M.

Comment

federal premium

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                    Good looking stock on that CZ

the Hornady SST and Federal Fusion will work well for you as hunting loads. If you want lots more hunting with the Grendel information go read some on http://www.65grendel.com/forum/forum.php it is a small forum dedicated to the 6.5 Grendel.

For lots of videos of shooting hogs with the Grendel and some with necropasies check out youtube "carpe sus" channel. Brisn has lots of experience killing hogs with the Grendel and usually uses he hornady SST factory loads. there are some reviews of other bullets like Berger VLD hunting 130gr and cavity back bullets

I have used the Hornady SST and A-Max loads and the SST will give you more of a chance for exit than the A-Max bullets. Have not tried Fusion in my rifle, most of the time I am using reloads and this year it is loaded with 129gr long range accubonds.

Not mine but exit on a fox from a 129gr LRAB bullet out of a Grendel, some bonded bullets expand very well as the fox does not offer much resistance.

Two hogs taken with IR Hunter MKIII thermal sight on 6.5 Grendel firing Hornady ELD-M ammo (Black Box).

If it will kill a 200lb hog it will kill a deer. May not be designed for it but there is very little difference in the eld-x and eld-m

Comment

That's a nice looking rifle!! I bet this sst''s will get it done.

Comment

I would definitely try the Fusion. I've not seen many guns that it won't perform in.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Huntin View Post
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnsKs1fu7fs

If it will kill a 200lb hog it will kill a deer. May not be designed for it but there is very little difference in the eld-x and eld-m
                          You can use a hammer to drive a screw and leave the drill on the workbench. That doesn’t make you smart.

Comment

Neither does you calling me out on this thread.....

Comment

No help but I gotta say that stock is gorgeous.

Comment

Working...
                              X