What do you think of this buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think of this buck

To me this buck looked post mature all last season, really thin and shed his antlers early. Also one of his sheds i picked up was very light again confirming to me that he was probably just very old. However this year he is growing considerably bigger antlers. It looks like he's going to be a main frame 8 with double split g2's and some extras on his bases. So what do you think? Old and just having a good year, or maybe he is younger and was just sick last year with something?
    Attached Files

Here he is so far this year.
    Attached Files

Comment

Wow, he's got a great start to what looks like an awesome set of horns this year! Not sure why he was only a 6pt last year, he was mature. Maybe he was sick or something

Comment

I just don't see an old deer in those pics. He was pretty unhealthy looking last year for sure. I could see how the "old deer" thought comes to mind. But, he sure does look healthy this year. He ought to be a good one.

Comment

I don't think those are the same deer.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
            I don't think those are the same deer.
            My thought. How do you know it's the same deer ?

Comment

Different deer. Top buck has got some age on him 6.5-8.5

Bottom deer is going to be impressive

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                My thought. How do you know it's the same deer ?
                Im pretty sure its the same deer, he has the same mark on his front leg and he runs with the same buck he ran with all last year.
                Attached Files

Comment

A couple weeks ago he was a lot thinner
                  Attached Files

Comment

I never would of guessed that to be the same deer but I think you have him nailed. Awesome! I would wack him this year and be happy. He is going to be cool looking when it is all said and done. Good luck!

Comment

I see the mark now that you pointed that out. Who knows why his rack was crappy last year ? Lots of mysteries where deer are concerned. I do believe it's the same deer though.

Comment

Yep, same deer unreal! I still think he's got some age on him though. I had a buck that never bigger than 125 until he it 8.5, then the next year he went in the 140s

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                          Yep, same deer unreal! I still think he's got some age on him though. I had a buck that never bigger than 125 until he it 8.5, then the next year he went in the 140s
                          He's turning out pretty cool! Still another month of growing left too. It's pretty nice when a deer not on the radar surprises you. How old you think he is? Standing next to a 4yo he's a decent amount smaller body wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Apretz View Post
                            He's turning out pretty cool! Still another month of growing left too. It's pretty nice when a deer not on the radar surprises you. How old you think he is? Standing next to a 4yo he's a decent amount smaller body wise.
                            With those back hocks stained like that, and the way he stands back on them hooves he's at least 6.5. Probably more like 8.5. Body size starts to shrink on some deer when they get older quite a bit.
                            Last edited by RMW; 07-03-2017, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Wow, he blew up. Any info on him pre-6 point? Might have been sick last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X