Brushy Hill Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lonewolf View Post
    My last commet on this . We did not surprise them with extra hunters I have the reciept for 6 hunters on 4/4/08 for $1650.00. In refrence to sitting on a bucket he did that from a vantage point to watch Rusty put corn out only just to see if anything was coming to the corn route . We had 4 full sittings , Rusty did beat us to the stands on the fist day but not the second . In two days of hunting we each set on stand for about 12 hours each and none of us seen a decient buck even from a distance .

Actually, you DID surprise the ranch and, even so, they accommodated you. The deposit for a 5 day hunt for a single person is $375 so $1650 would be a deposit for 4.4 people not 6. Even if that deposit is correct, it still wouldn't cover 6 hunters on a 5 day hunt when the ranch requires a 50% deposit for a $150 per day hunt.

Being outside your blind when the corn route comes through, FOR ANY REASON, is ridiculous- the deer that come out will spot you getting back into the blind and avoid you like a plague. There's just no GOOD reason for sitting on a bucket along the corn route while it's being run, LOL!

You didn't have 4 sittings- you had three; and the reason I KNOW is that I came by your cabin before what SHOULD have been your 4th sitting, to try and help y'all with your setups, because Rusty was jammed up with ranch responsibilities. I even checked the cabins and there wasn't a stitch in them- y'all had cleared out completely well before the MIDWAY point of your hunt.

In the River Pasture West there isn't really any place to see any long distance. So, if you were in your blinds for 12 hours (on the SINGLE full day you hunted) you couldn't have "seen" any real long distance. Unless, of course, you were out of the blinds and walking around- which would explain a lot. I could have SWORN I saw y'all around the cabin around lunch time, though, on the only full day you spent at the ranch. I sure remember seeing that 150 class Iowa buck decoy y'all had.

Look, you're certainly entitled to your opinion and I have NO problem with someone who didn't have success at the ranch posting it. But when there are some SERIOUS mitigating factors that are omitted, and they explain A LOT about how/why the hunt went the way it did, I'm going to jump to the ranch's defense and fill in the blanks. Especially when it's posted with the vigor that you did and when it's going to give a disproportionately negative image about the ranch- particularly to others who may be interested in hunting there. If you have all the experience you claim and you have cheaper and better options, like you said you did, I have to wonder why you chose to spend more money at a ranch you don't know. Pete and Rusty would have liked nothing better than for every member of your party to shoot a good buck. Unfortunately, that's just not going to happen on such a popular day lease ranch- ESPECIALLY when you don't even finish your hunt! Even if we go with your claim that you hunted 4 sits, it's just not reasonable to expect great results from 2 days hunting a ranch you've never been to before- particularly a day lease. Had you completed your hunt you might have had more credence to gripe; but you didn't.

Comment

Last post

Ok, in closing I did not mean to bad mouth Brushy Hills Ranch or start a all out thread war I had just gotten back and I was disapointed because this was my first day lease adventure and I had gotten all hyped up about it and I didn't know what to expect. I only spent 2 days (4 sittings) in the River east and I only hunted the corn route. These are the facts and I didn't get the opportunity to see any horns. I am sure that there are deer on this ranch and I am certain that they were probably in the pasture I hunted I just never saw them. I am not a experienced day lease hunter and I am sure that had alot to do with it. I hope this clears up any more issues with anyone who is a fan of this ranch. I guess educations are expensive and I got an education. I would also like to add that instead of throwing shots at other members for giving their bad experiences you guys might want to just tell people about your good ones. There will be hunters that are not happy with their experiences at your ranch and they have just as much right to post thier opinions as you do.

Comment

Swoledouglas,

Hunting day leases can give you an education and will make you a better hunter. I remember my first trip to a day lease in 1998 and had an experience like you did, but I stuck with it. In the future, any extra days you can book will make you have a better hunt. I have always felt at the end of 4 sittings I had a pretty good idea on what the deer are doing, but in most cases all I could do was talk about it on the way home. I try to book as many days as I can beyond the two. Day lease hunting is different and more of a game, but will make you a better hunter.

Comment

Thank you I will keep that in mind.

Comment

I just walked in from hunting at Brushy Hill this past weekend. We saw does and a couple of spikes but no shooters, no turkeys, and no hogs. The web site says "Most cabins have full kitchens with stoves, ovens refrigerators" but our accomodations (a room in the barn behind the ranch house) did not have a kitchen so cooking was done on a small charcoal grill. We had to change our hunt from a Friday/Saturday/Sunday hunt to a Saturday/Sunday/Monday hunt about a month or two ago due to a schedule conflict. Both Pete and Rusty were friendly and answered all of our questions.

I am not an expert at hunting on a day lease nor am I the world's greatest bow hunter (in fact, I have not taken a deer with my bow - only hogs) so I won't get into the debate going on above. It was great being out hunting but it would have been much more enjoyable had we seen a shootable deer. It was kind of windy on Saturday and the full moon was working against us. It was windy this morning too. It also would have been nice to be in a hunting cabin versus a room in a barn, but it was warm and dry.

I guess overall I would say we got our money's worth. Some may say hunting is all about the pursuit not the kill. For me, I would have been quite satisfied had our hunt been tilted a little more in the direction of the kill.

For the record, I did not pay anything to Brushy Hill for the hunt. I won a hunt for 2 people for deer, turkeys, and hogs in an auction at the LSBA Expo this past summer. It is my understanding that some ranch owners donate hunts in exchange for advertising although I do not know if that was the arrangement in this instance. In any event, I paid very close to what it would have cost had I booked a hunt for 2 through the ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by cgeoffrey View Post
              nobody is suggesting that hunting is easy as a matter of fact we bow hunters are the sickest of all ignoring evolution and reverting back to primitave weapons. however paying to hunt and hunting hard and coming up empty feels foolish. it is not just the price of the hunt, but the vacation time, cost for supplies to hunt and the absence from our families that also are part of the "cost". when you look at it like that a place with limited at best opportunities is not worth the "cost" agree?
              It's good to hear someone tell like it is.
              X**3

Comment

Brushy Hill Ranch

I wish I was as good of a hunter as Horitexan.

Comment

Just returned from a 2 day hunt @ Brushy Hill. Everyone was very helpful. Had no problems w/ the cabin we stayed in. It was a hunting camp, just like I thought it would be. We all saw plenty of deer, including 2 shooters, just didn't get w/in range. Plan on returning in the future.

Comment

Is anyone planning a trip these last two weeks?

Comment

im going down there next wednesday night. hunting thursday through the end. we did not do that whole pasture thing i told you about a while back. im just gonna squeeze in where ever there is room. if you come down, make sure you come and have a cold beer with us.

Comment

Thanks, I'm trying to get some of my group to commit so I don't have to come by myself.

Comment

HOGS at Brushy

Hey Guys. Could any of you tell me if you saw good numbers of hogs while hunting at brushy hill? We are going there in February for the first time to scope it out and hunt hogs. I know if will be fun regardless. Just getting away from the below zero temps we've been dealing with here in WI will be fun!!

Peace.

Comment

Dont know yet, I'll let you know when back.

Comment

Working...
                            X