Best Hunting Recurve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wayne Meuir View Post
    stickinpigs, what part of town do you live in? I have several bows that I would be happy to let you try out just to get the feel for what everyone has been telling you here.
    I am a member at Collin County Bowhunters and have access to the range all the time. Be happy to take you out for a round of practice just about anytime.

Wayne
    thx for offer Wayne, one of my buddies is coming into town with a few of his bows this weekend!! Ill let yall know how it goes!! Thx again for all the help!!

Comment

I just bought a Samick Sage last night with a Bear hair rest installed for like $145 . If you go to Smithfield Archery and talk to Stan and Rhonda they will let you try one out.

This guy does a review of it:
      [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbPP9xj_G1U&feature=autoplay&list=QL&index =1&playnext=4"]YouTube - ArrowSlingnTV- UNBOXING SAMICK SAGE RECURVE 50LBS part 1 of 2[/ame]

Part 2:
      [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed8-K2eXRh4&feature=related"]YouTube - ArrowSling'nTV- PART 2, SHOOTING NEW SAMICK SAGE RECURVE- $119 part 2of2[/ame]
      Last edited by RemMan700; 03-31-2011, 09:49 AM.

Comment

I have no complaints over my Samick Spikeman, as it is both smooth and dead nuts accurate in my hand.

Comment

Samick Sage is an awsome bow. Great to learn on and priced right. U can get one in lower poundage 35 or so to get your form down real good then go up for hunting. the new limbs are 70 bucks. then u have practice weight limbs as well as bowfishing. this is the cheapest way to get started. its also nice to have a break down bow.

then start saving for your custom.

one thing i learned if your left eye dominent and shoot right handed like me. U will want to learn to shoot left hand. Makes a big differnce in groups and not as hard to learn as you would think.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_B View Post
            Samick Sage is an awsome bow. Great to learn on and priced right. U can get one in lower poundage 35 or so to get your form down real good then go up for hunting. the new limbs are 70 bucks. then u have practice weight limbs as well as bowfishing. this is the cheapest way to get started. its also nice to have a break down bow.

then start saving for your custom.

one thing i learned if your left eye dominent and shoot right handed like me. U will want to learn to shoot left hand. Makes a big differnce in groups and not as hard to learn as you would think.
            I'm with your first paragraph 100%. However I am left eye dominate and shoot right handed just fine. Just see what works for you.

Comment

i started with a martin serengetti then got a deal on a bob lee it was night and day difference so everyone on here is right bout shootin different bows wish i would have known i just got lucky

Comment

I looking for buying a recuve bow for hunting. I consider SAS Spirit 62″ Take Down Recurve Bow. Please give me some advice. Thanks all.
                If you are hunting for the best recurve bow for the money, there are plenty of outstanding options for sale at local and online retailers. Find out here.

Comment

I finally realized being over bowed will lead to frustration levels that will make you want to quit. I have always been over bowed coming from compounds. I just could not get it in my head that in traditional archery the margin of error is greatly reduced, so accuracy is king. Take it low at first and work on muscle memory and form. I just started shooting a bow 11 pounds lighter than the one I hunt with and realized how bad my form is. The amazing thing is when I pick up the heavier bow I now shoot it more accurately. I also suggest you bare shaft your arrows. I have never done this till last week, and boy what a difference. Yes I am incredibly hard headed and realize if I had done it different, I would not have kept going back to my compound. I am testing a Black River bow from a guy named Will Cocke, he lives about 20 minutes from me in Mississippi, and will be positing a review. I would also suggest shooting the bows you are considering before you buy, because every bowyer makes the grips a little different and when you find the one where your hand seems to go To The same spot every shot you have found a bow that will Fit you like a glove. Experiment with gloves, tabs, 3 under, split finger, and 2 under and find what feels most natural. Have fun on the journey, cause I started grinding and just now getting back to having fun. There are some real ledgens on this site that have a wealth of information, and there experience can drastically reduce the learning curve. Blessings, Dan

blackriverbows.com

Comment

Do like I did. I shot a 70# compound so I bought a 70# longbow off of ebay.

I am kidding, get some help. I like 45#.

Comment

Best advise I can give. Go to a TBOT shoot and talk to the people there.

Comment

[quote=Sirius081972;11366168]I looking for buying a recuve bow for hunting. I consider SAS Spirit 62″ Take Down Recurve Bow. Please give me some advice. Thanks all.

I don't think that bow is good enough for hunting, the max draw weight is less than 40 lb.
                        I started with Samick Sage just about more than a year ago. Many hunters use it as a starter bow. For me, I don't think Samick Sage limits my ability to shoot. I will keep shooting this bow and have no plan to change it.
                        The SAS Spirit looks similar to PSE RazerBack or one of those from Greatree. Samick Sage looks a lot stronger. I would pay more to get Samick Sage or Journey.
                        If you buy Samick Sage ( or any low cost bow ), buy it from a store that has good return/replacement policy ( you don't have to pay to ship the bad one back ). I don't think they have QC for those bows.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirius081972 View Post
                          I looking for buying a recuve bow for hunting. I consider SAS Spirit 62″ Take Down Recurve Bow. Please give me some advice. Thanks all.
                          http://hunthacks.com/best-recurve-bo...wn_Recurve_Bow
                          The bow in this link is fine to start shooting on with 30-35#limbs and if you wanna chase rabbits, squirrels, fox, opossums, porcupines and raccoons ect. I have killed a few critters with 30# limbs. Go for it.

If you want cheap, I would recommend getting a Samick Sage and planning on buying two sets of limbs. A light set 25-35# and a heavier set 40-45#. If you pull close to 28", 40lb limbs are fine for smaller Texas deer.

I just got my brother started cheap. $80 used 35# Samick Sage and $100 arrows. We just found some used 50# limbs for $40 bucks. That's about as cheap as it gets unless someone is just giving stuff away.

He's shooting well and having lots of fun. He'll be in the market for a nicer bow in a year.

Comment

Like already mentioned the Samick Sage is a great starter bow I think. I bought one back in December as my first trad bow and I really like it. I got 45 lb limbs, and at times wish I had gotten 40. I have a 29'' dl and it's fine for me. I'd make sure you get some pro advice on your arrows. The arrows I started out with I thought were great....but then I talked to Jim at Big Jim's archery and he suggested some other arrows. I bought a dozen and soon realized the ones I had at first were actually pretty horrible for my set up lol. It's fun, just keep you expectations low at first. It takes so much practice to get halfway decent it can frustrate you if you let it.

Comment

Impossible to answer questions. The "best" is different for each person, and only found thru trial and error.

What one guy thinks is the best bow out there, the next guy will say is the worst!

Bisch

Comment

I really like the sarrels bows . I have shot a lot of bows this past year and I keep going back to the sarrels . Good luck

Comment

Working...
                                X