Shenandoah Valley Bassin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shenandoah Valley Bassin'

Some of you know that I was out of town on business travel for NASA last week. Well wasn't all work, and I was able to take some time to go visit my mom in the Shenandoah Valley. I also got in some fishing on the Shenandoah river for some smallmouth bass. I also hit a really nice farm pond (lake) for some largemouth bass. Total count was 7 smallmouth and somewhere around 20 largemouth. None of them were huge (except the one huge smallie I lost) but the numbers made for some great fishin and you couldn't beat the back ground views of home that I miss a lot sometimes.

Last edited by bountyhunter; 06-11-2012, 07:58 PM.

Looks great Derek..I spent 4th and 5th grades in Virginia...beautiful country

Comment

Originally posted by fletcherfor2 View Post
      Looks great Derek..I spent 4th and 5th grades in Virginia...beautiful country
      Thanks Dusty!! My first 18 years were spent huntin and fishin the Shenandoah Valley and mountains. Then other than three year in Hawaii while in the Air Force, the rest of my almost 52 years have been in Texas, 5 in San Antonio and the rest in Dickinson. I love Texas, but it is nice to go back and trace my teenage stompin grounds.....

Comment

LOL...I was an Air Force brat who went to 6 different grade schools in different parts of the world.

I've been in Texas since I was 10 (I'm 60 now), but Martha says I still can't call myself a Texan if I wasn't born here.

Comment

Looks like some pretty country and a good time, for sure!

Bisch

Comment

Pretty smallies. I worked a job at the Coors Brewery there for awhile.

Comment

Very Nice..Looks very peaceful..

Comment

"Bassin"... very clever sir, I get it! I spent some time in Virginia myself in the Navy. Very beautiful state... er... common wealth. I was stationed in VA Beach at NAS Oceana. I would love to go back and visit. Wish I woulda spent more time outdoors and less time at the bar! You live and you learn though... glad you made it back there, looks amazing!
                Last edited by feralswine; 06-11-2012, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Beautiful country partner.

Comment

That's some pretty country... Who's the fellow with the fishing pole in his hand, he looks a lot like a friend of mine but he allows has an arrow in his hand?

Comment

Thanks y'all and for anyone that hasn't been to the Shenandoah Valley, it is well worth the trip. There is some great hunting for some huge whitetails, turkey and bear in the mountains there.

Originally posted by fletcherfor2 View Post
                      I've been in Texas since I was 10 (I'm 60 now), but Martha says I still can't call myself a Texan if I wasn't born here.
                      Naw you are a Texan by marriage......

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                      Pretty smallies. I worked a job at the Coors Brewery there for awhile.
                      Where I was fishing on the river is only a few mile north of the Coors Brewery. Elkton is my home town, even though we didn't live in town.
                      Last edited by bountyhunter; 06-12-2012, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Nice catch Derek, did you fry them up?

Charley

Comment

That is some beautiful country

Comment

Originally posted by Tedak View Post
                            Nice catch Derek, did you fry them up?

Charley
                            Naw, catch and release only on this trip.

Comment

Originally posted by bountyhunter View Post

Naw you are a Texan by marriage......
                              Sorry, no....
                              He can be a "Texan", but can never be a "Native Texan"

Derek, there is a possibility we might share some ancestry going waaay back.
                              My Daddy's people left Germany in the mid-1700's- one brother went to England and bought a commission - he was assigned the the king's bodyguard contingent. The other came to America and settled in Rockingham County in the Virginia colony and fought with Washington to gain our independence (I have the documentation and guess I could petition to become a DAR but I'm not that much of a "joiner"). Anyway, if your family has been in the Shenandoah Valley going back several generations, we might be kin!

That is absolutely gorgeous country and I'd love to get up there one day and spend some time (and some genealogy work, too).

Comment

Working...
                              X