No announcement yet.

Too high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shot a pig is that general area once at the "H" and tracked it forever, and it bled like crazy and never could find it. Shot was a little lower.

Comment

That deer will survive and be just fine. Too much bone in that region so a miss is a miss, and a different broadhead would not have made a difference with that shot. An inch or so either way and you could have been smiling taking ground pictures.
      I've seen broadheads that were embedded and healed over inside deer carcasses that were being processed that were a year or more old, that would leave you scratching your head wondering how that animal could have survived.
      They are tough animals.
      Last edited by Jimbo47; 10-20-2017, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Crazy how tough those dang critters are. I had a stud of a buck string jump me bad last year causing a high, forward hit. He showed back up this year even bigger than last..

Good luck to you and hope you get another crack at him!

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
          Well now that photo looks like you should have got the opposite lung or at least spined him. That's pretty wild. What kind of broadhead you shooting? If you have plenty of KE I'd try a bigger cut mechanical like a spitfire Maxx, as an insurance policy for shots like that. That's a head scratcher.
          Shot with a recurve, Fred Bear razor tip broadhead. Best I can tell the blade went in horizontally, had it been vertical who knows maybe dead deer. Either way I'm happy to see he's still alive. Hopefully I'll get another shot at him. I'm back in the tree now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1832.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	24514985

Comment

Originally posted by nothinbutwelves View Post
            Just a piece of advice wait until his head is up. He looses the cantilever effect to drop fast, good luck getting him on round 2
            Quite possibly one of the best pieces of advise that I’ve ever read on this site. Thank you for sharing that sir!

Comment

UPDATE

He came in Sunday morning and left with another hole in him.... This time the shot was back and we followed the blood trail with a dog for about 300yds to the creek and lost it. About an hour after the shot I could hear the coyotes going crazy to the south and i’m Convinced that they were on him. Going to keep an eye out for buzzards for the recovery. With the amount of blood we found I think he is dead, just don’t know where he went from the creek. Never found the arrow.

Comment

P-dot Put some limb savers on your Recurve. From the video your are getting a twack and need more of a thump. A little lower sound might help.

Comment

There's an elephant in this room.
                  Should it be addressed?

I think so.

p_dot, this is not a dig at you. Believe me, I do understand. We've all been there.

I understand the need to discuss this (get it off your chest) with someone, but in my opinion you should have the discussion with your friends, and in private.

I've gotta tell you, it made me cringe when you posted you shot & lost him again. Think about it. You have publicly posted about shooting & losing the same deer, TWICE.

I think the damage to reputation this type of discussion does far outweighs any benefit coming from it.

Once again, this is not a dig at you, and I truly do understand. I just don't think these type posts benefit anyone

Rick

Comment

No problem Rick. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by widdler View Post
                      P-dot Put some limb savers on your Recurve. From the video your are getting a twack and need more of a thump. A little lower sound might help.
                      I agree, sounds pretty loud on the video to me too. I have beaver string silencers but need to add something to quiet the bow a little more. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Rick it always is a tough post when someone loses a deer no matter the weapon used to hunt. For me it's hard because I was so proficient with my compound and losing two doe last year with my recurve gave me pause in believing I would ever be capable enough with a trad bow to be proficient. Even my first found doe last January wasn't a perfect shot. The doe I took the other day was a spine shot. Effective but not where I wanted it. So that question is still eating at me regardless of how well my target shooting is going.

Wounding and losing an animal is a tough thing and can be a sticky subject of discussion. If you are wounding and losing animals because your shooting practice and preparation is insufficient then ethics come into play and one possibly needs to revisit the question if they are ready to hunt with the chosen weapon.

However, if like me, you are shooting regularly, practice from your stands and can reliably place kill shots in practice then sometimes it leaves you so bewildered as to why a hunting shot didn't go right that you feel the need to reach out to your peers for help. At that point shying away from the conversation doesn't help the ones trying to get proficient at this new archery challenge.

Comment

Just as an example this is my first shot this evening. Just in from work and want to get a few in before the light fades. I can do this on any given day. 19 yards sitting. So why can't I make a perfect 13 to 15 yard shot on an animal or in an FSC shot? Who knows but I wish someone could and would. Hard to see due to low light but solid in the one inch dot. Target is under tree so it simulates a low light hunt well.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hogdoggintexas View Post
                            I have seen a few deer killed that high up.
                            Yup, I've done it.

Comment

P Dot, these and a set of Beaver Balls quietened my bows a lot. Before that I had mole skin on the limbs where the string hits and beaver balls in the string. These work better than the moleskin and also work like brush buttons and prtect bow and string if hanging the bow

Comment

Working...
                              X