No announcement yet.

DB Hog Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am taking my 10 an 13 Year olds along. Can't wait.

Comment

I have been there a few times with my kids. It was get and have a company hunt set up for next weekend. Will post up pictures.

Jim

Comment

Jim How did the hunt go? Any Pics?

Comment

rtread, let us know how your hunt goes. I am booked for a 2 day hunt with them in June.
          Actually, my "hunt" never happened. I was at Bigs Shell Station at 5:45 this morning (actually 5:30) as per instructions (the instructions on website just give location of meet, not time....I had to spend a week prior to the big event dealing with lost emails and phone tag to find out I was supposed to be there at 5:45). So....I was there at the appropriate time. At about 6:15 I realized there was a problem so I called the number on the card and got A RECORDING! I waited a while longer and called again, still got A RECORDING!. By this time I was getting a bit chippy. Some local yokels in Bigs having their morning coffee were really enjoying my situation and I was getting a good dose of their two-bit advice on paying to hunt hogs. They were ranchers, but none invited me out to their place to hunt the "pests" for free....they just wanted to give me the business.
          Finally! My cell phone rang at 6:53 and it was Danny who had obviously just woke up. He said he "dropped the ball" (boy howdy!) and forgot he had a hunter because they had had a bad thunderstorm during the night and he went to bed feeling secure that there would be no hog hunters in the morning. Unfortunately, it didn't rain on the other end of Burnet County during the night, nor did it rain in Bertram as I didn't see any puddles or wetness anywhere. But.....I'm not disputing that it could have rained at his place. So Danny apologized for dropping the ball and offered to let me go ahead and hunt the rest of the morning or hunt in the evening. At that point, I told him I really didn't think so, had a "bad taste in my mouth". He replied that he also had a bad taste in his mouth and at that point my decision was definitely firmed up. He said he would mail my $50 payment back to me and I said fine. I'm sure he will. Just as I rolled into Burnet, his wife called me and was very apologetic and wanted me to consider coming back in the evening and hunt at no charge. I considered this and decided not to....gas prices being what they are, another trip both ways didn't make sense. Actually, the gas expense wasn't the only reason.... I was just disgusted with the way this turned out. I had made every effort to gather information and be on time and live up to my end and I was told HE had a bad taste in HIS mouth? Uh-uh. I don't play that way.
          I know others have had good experiences there....I have read the reviews. I'm sure they will return and others will find it a good place to hunt. I was told this morning that in three years this is the only time that had happened. That may be so. Lucky me.
          My best advice is find a way to communicate effectively with them prior to the hunt and call them the night before. I didn't call the night before because I had talked to Danny just two or three days before when he told me to be at Bigs at 5:45....and it didn't seem necessary to call again ....nor was it requested.
          Sorry this ran on. I wanted it to be an accurate description and couldn't do it without getting into details. Good luck on your hunt and let us know how it goes! Thanks. Ray
          Last edited by rtread; 05-16-2007, 07:55 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Thanks for the info!!! sorry about your wasted trip.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your morning!!!

Comment

RTREAD sorry to hear that.

Has anyone else had any issues with this place??? Like I posted above, I am taking my kids for their first hog hunt and want everything to go smooth. I would hate to get them all jazzed up and then the hunt go off (or not) like rtread's.

Comment

Sorry I forgot post the pictures from the hunt. I have not had any problems with hunting out there. There is about a 98% chance that you will see hogs and is a great place to take the kids to shoot there first one. This is where my daughter will shoot hers once she gets up in poundage.

Here is my very first hog I shot with my bow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	70 462 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	23828776

Name:	70 519 (Medium).jpg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	23828777

Name:	grato.JPG
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	23828778

Name:	IMG_0898.JPG
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	23828779

Comment

Well we had our hunt on Friday and Saturday and I must say despite the weather we had a great time. As I stated in previous posts, I took my son and daughter and they both got their first hogs. We Killed 7 hogs total ranging from 35lbs to 180lbs. I'll post pics later.

Comment

$125 a day

Comment

Working...
                      X