Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small acreage - what to feed year around ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small acreage - what to feed year around ?

Just got on a small lease this November and got a late start. Ive got about 70 +/- acres to myself that overlaps another members section. He's got some great deer on camera and I've got a couple at night.
    Looking for something to feed besides or in combination with corn year around to keep them frequenting the area and hopefully give me an advantage for next season. I did a search and read through some of the older threads and am leaning toward roasted soy bean/corn or cottonseed/corn.
    Should I do a gravity feeder or timed feeder? Ive been hunting over corn piles this season because it's pretty dang thick and didn't want to have to carry in a feeder.
    Any advice or orther recommendations?
    Oh.... this in north east Tx.

Rice Bran

/close thread w/ mic drop

Comment

Chafhayee

Comment

I agree with Rice Bran

Comment

Originally posted by coffmanbr1 View Post
          Rice Bran

/close thread w/ mic drop
          Just googled this and came up with a bunch of stuff. Elaborate please? Facing the same issue as the OP.

Comment

Definitely rice bran. It's essentially a white powder. You can get it at most feed stores.

Comment

I like rice bran too. My deer eat it up. I just switched my gravity feeders over to 100% buck ration. It is a 50/50 mix of roasted corn and roasted soy beans. I had deer on it day one and they have been eating it up constantly. I am just going to use this year round vs messing with pellets anymore. Nice to just buy bags of the same stuff all of the time. It's 22% protein. Smells good.
              Congrats on the new place! Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                Just googled this and came up with a bunch of stuff. Elaborate please? Facing the same issue as the OP.
                Just go to local feed store and ask for powder Rice Bran. Dump it all in one big pile or pour it over your corn piles.

Only problem with Rice Bran is if pigs find it it's gone in a matter of minutes.

Comment

$6/bag average

If you have an Atwoods go there. Pellets for gravity feeder. Powder I just pour on the ground.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Antlers86; 12-29-2017, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                    $6/bag average

If you have an Atwoods go there. Pellets for gravity feeder. Powder I just pour on the ground.
                    This stuff is guaranteed to put antlers on just like the buck graphic on every deer you have!

Comment

Originally posted by coffmanbr1 View Post
                      Just go to local feed store and ask for powder Rice Bran. Dump it all in one big pile or pour it over your corn piles.

Only problem with Rice Bran is if pigs find it it's gone in a matter of minutes.
                      Appreciate the lead. Tractor Supply had some for $25 a bag, I went down the road to a mom and pop feed store and grabbed a bag for $12. I will depoly th mix tonight before I crawl into the blind.

Comment

Thx for the info !!

Comment

Appreciate the lead. Tractor Supply had some for $25 a bag, I went down the road to a mom and pop feed store and grabbed a bag for $12. I will depoly th mix tonight before I crawl into the blind.
                          Make sure it’s for “Deer” and not stabilized for Horses. That’s the expensive stuff you don’t want... Mine is usually $8-10/50# bag

Comment

Here's what I grabbed. It was 1/2 price from what Tractor Supply had. Thanks again everyone!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here's what I grabbed. It was 1/2 price from what Tractor Supply had. Thanks again everyone!
                              Your good!

Check out their Facebook page. Many different Bran flavors!

Comment

Working...
                              X