Angelina National forest ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
    Back to my original question, why are other areas more pressured ?
    IMO it's further away from the metro areas is the reason you hear less about the ANF.

Comment

I got drawn for a gun hunt there for 1-5 November have never bin in that area good trees for climbers or should I bring my lock on ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[quote=tps7742;12805074]
        Originally posted by hogman$ View Post
        I got drawn for a gun hunt there for 1-5 November have never bin in that area good trees for climbers or should I bring my lock on ?

There are good trees for climbers in the bannister wma in most of it. They keep the under brush down by controlled burns.

Ok thanks

Comment

Did you get drawn for the Angelina National Forest or the Alazan Bayou WMA ? They are not the same.

Comment

Originally posted by luna-tuna View Post
            Did you get drawn for the Angelina National Forest or the Alazan Bayou WMA ? They are not the same.

Alazan bayou i thought they divided both into compartments wasn't sure though

Comment

This is a different location than I commented on earlier.

Comment

hogman, I don't know why some maps show the Experimental Forest as the Angelina National Forest. The Angelina NF is located near Sam Rayburn Lake and the Experimental Forest is adjacent to Alazan and is managed by Stephen F. Austin University. This is the property, combined with Alazan WMA, that you got drawn for. It is heavily timbered and ideal for climbing stands as well as hang-ons and ground blinds.

Comment

So let me ask your opinion on another question. Back when we hunted the forest, you didn't see many deer. This was 30 years ago, probably some of you weren't born yet. But now days there are many leases in Angelina county. With healthy deer populations. What do you think helped the most with the increase in deer population.

Comment

So let me ask your opinion on another question. Back when we hunted the forest, you didn't see many deer. This was 30 years ago, probably some of you weren't born yet. But now days there are many leases in Angelina county. With healthy deer populations. What do you think helped the most with the increase in deer population.
                    There are fewer hunters now and those that do hunt are more conservation minded and law abiding.
                    When I was a kid you couldn't go in the woods at all and not bump into another hunter.
                    I think you are seeing the gradual improvements of the last 60-70 years of game laws and conservation.
                    The down side I believe is that the habitat is getting worst. There used to be more ranches and true farms that would support wildlife. The good news is that timber companies and national forest land is really embracing things like prescribed burning and quality habitat management.

Comment

As far as Angelina National Forest goes, it is probably more visited than the Sabine NF which is even more remote.

Sam Houston National Forest is close to Houston and Montgomery County is exploding in population growth. That land will be an "urban forest" within the next 20-30 years.

Davy Crocket is closer to major metro areas and major highways (I45) and it is slightly more developed with major trails and improved camp grounds.

I spend a lot of time in the Angelina national forest south of the lake, but usually hiking and exploring rather than hunting. The habitat south of the lake is mostly upland pine which is probably not the best whitetail habitat. There are of course plenty of bottom lands and they are hunted. There are lots of corps of engineers camp grounds on the lake.

Comment

That's not Angelina National Forest. It's riverbottom land, lots of hardwoods.

Comment

Hunted Alazan a lot with a bow and with a shot gun for hogs. lots of open bottom land with tons of hardwood trees. It can get very wet at times but has a decent deer population and tons of hogs. Unless the hunt specifies that you have to hunt in a stand or blind I would just still hunt through my area, play the wind, and spend time setting on the ground.

Comment

NO DEER ARE IN THE Angelina NF!

Comment

Working...
                            X