Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sub venison for beef? Anyone else do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's us. Takes 4 whitetail to last from season to season. I'm sure it'll be 5 with how fast my boys are growing. Literally eat beef about 1x per quarter when family visits, and even then it's only one steak night.

Comment

The only beef we eat is a steak every once in awhile. We use deer and or wild pork for everything that calls for beef.

Comment

The family replaces beef for venison, axis, elk, duck, and red fish September-May. Then nothing but fresh Louisiana trout May-August. You'd be surprise how many ways you can cook trout when you eat it every day. Last year the family caught 800 trout between May and June.

Comment

We mainly eat deer. We are with you. Rarely buy beef.

Comment

Can't remember the last time we bought ground beef. Have the occasional beef steak. When it is not venison, it is usually wild hog, caught fish or store bought chicken.

Comment

I try to eat it in as many meals as possible...but unfortunately I have a wife who won't eat anything that's been caught, shot or didn't come a HEB, Krogers etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                At least keeps the grocery bill down for a while.
                That made me laugh. I would probably save money if I didn't hunt, but I understand what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                  The only beef we eat is a steak every once in awhile. We use deer and or wild pork for everything that calls for beef.
                  Yep. Or if I stop at Whataburger. [emoji39]

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Beef Fajitas and a rare steak or brisket here.

Our meat entails ground venison , or venison sausage as our go too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

We only buy prime 1 ribeyes or filets. Other than that we eat ground venison year round. I get the back strap butterflied as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                        That made me laugh. I would probably save money if I didn't hunt, but I understand what you mean.
                        I've never paid for a lease, don't run feeders and I hunt less than 5 miles from my driveway, so my expenses are pretty limited. If I don't buy any new hunting gear, I can pretty much hunt all season without any expenses. I do run some hand corn, but not near to the tune as the folks who run feeders. It's also right between my work and the house, so I check cams after work on my way home.

I am however going to have to pay this year, but it's $500. Still pretty cheap since I consider at least half of that cost for entertainment purposes!

Comment

Originally posted by laredoarcher View Post
                          Wow!!! How many mule deer did you kill?
                          Lol!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Occasional smoked brisket and usually have a big bag of chicken boobies in the freezer but other than that its pretty much all venison.
                            Which is going to be tough this year as I only took a about a 65lb yearling this year.

Comment

I mix them half and half. Never tell the family and they dont know the difference.

Comment

Tonight dinner was Nil Gai and Elk meatballs and spaghetti. No complaints.

Comment

Working...
                                X