No announcement yet.

Something wrong with rifles these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Dad always got a kick out of telling people about my first buck. I was probably about 10, or so and Dad built two deer stands, basically a few 2x4 nailed in the crotch of a tree to sit on. We were about 40-50’ apart. He had just given me a new Marlin 30-30 to replace my H&R .410 that I’d been carrying for a few years. just after sunrise, a young 4 point came strolling thru with his nose to the ground. He was about 10 yards from me. I punched him prettty close behind the shoulder, and he went down. Dad hollered good job! The buck started kicking so I shot him again. Still kicking, but laying on the ground, i shot him again!
    Dad finally hollers “ That’s good, stop shootin”. He then added, “if that buck had been able to get up, he would have been swaybacked carrying all that lead”. Lol
    Sure miss my Dad.

Comment

Haha lol I only put one shell in my gun that way the shot has to count Seems to have been working fine so far

Comment

Its them AR shooters.. hear them around here all time and at Range...

I grew up with a single shot 12..Killed more and used less ammo.. than any them BOOM BOOM ...pump/auto shooters.. I was ever around..

I still shoot single shot Bow and Crossbow..and Encore 223/243/260/50cal BP...single shot...I do have my Dads Marlin 30-30 and Revelation 12g pump ...30-30s loaned to friend and 12 ga ain't been shot in 20y+...oh yes several 22s

Comment

We are absolutely covered up in pigs, the ARs have really helped take some out. I think we are somewhere around 42-45 in the last couple months, most with ARs. I took my .22 last night and killed several.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            We are absolutely covered up in pigs, the ARs have really helped take some out. I think we are somewhere around 42-45 in the last couple months, most with ARs. I took my .22 last night and killed several.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any time you need help with them swine Dale just let me know. I need some more fresh pork butts for the smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I would like to say, I don't hunt anywhere near Austin.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

It's those guys that only take two shots a year.

Comment

Blows my mind how many people show up to a hunt with a rifle that's not even on the paper at 100 yards.

Comment

i can say only 1 time in my life that i've been that guy and it was on the biggest buck of my life to this day. i was around 15/16 hunting just outside Corpus Christi. my dad and i were hunting a friend's property that was pretty small. 2 stands. mostly open fields.

the rules of the ranch were only bucks if they are 150 inch or better. i was freaking as i had never even seen a deer that big in the wild having grown up hunting in Sonora shooting 100-150 yards max.

my dad says if you see a 150 you'll know don't worry. he was hunting the other blind.

well, on the last morning, the wind is blowing hard and 2 bucks are chasing a doe in and out of the brush. finally, they make their move and start to run across the open field. they stop. i know instantly this is a 150 plus deer.

but, i don't have any sort of range finder and there is nothing for me to gauge the distance. i do know this is the longest shot i've taken.

so, i put my dad's .270 up and try to steady my breathing. i put the crosshairs over his back. bang. deer takes 2 steps and keeps looking. so another shell goes in. bang. he doesn't move. i cannot believe what is happening. bang. he runs 10 yards.

i need to load another shell. at this point, i'd never missed a deer with a scoped rifle in my life. i was in complete shock as too what was happening. freaking out over this deer and how i blew it. digging through my bad. grab another shell and get it loaded.

i purposely slow my breathing. i figure i must be shooting over him or something. so, i put the crosshairs about midway between the top of his shoulder and his back. squeeze the trigger.

where did he go? looking, looking. i don't see a deer anywhere. so, i get out of the stand and start walking through the waist high grass to where he should have been. then i see 1 antler gleaming in the sunlight and lose my mind.

284 yards. scored 156 with a broken tine. would have been probably broken 160.

Comment

Go to the rifle range in October and run your spotting scope down the line and see how many are shooting patterns versus groups. I wonder how half the hunters ever kill a deer. Must be the rifles.

That being said, I couldn't shoot at the range myself until I got a past magnum recoil pad. Then I figured out that recoil is most peoples problem. Face it, 8 or 10 rounds of 30-06 has most flinching, or doing things not good for accuracy. Once I took recoil out of the equation, shooting got fairly easy. Don't remember ever feeling recoil while shooting at an animal. Now dadgummit, at 62 years of age, eyesight is my issue.

I remember shooting at the range here in Mesquite back in the 90's, feeling pretty smug about the groups I am shooting with each or my rifles, when this fellow shows up with an M1. Standing and shooting at the 200 yard target, he was wearing it out. Doing way better than me at 200, and him shooting standing with open sights, while I am using sandbags, and 10 power scopes. Humbling.

Hope all do well this deer season. I am rehabbing after back surgery on oct 16th, waiting til doc gives me clearance to shoot. See him on the 28 of this month, maybe he will let me shoot.
                      Last edited by double bogey; 11-21-2018, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post
                        Hey man those sleeves are pretty handy. I always completely unload my gun getting into and out of the stand and those sleeves are a convenient spot to put my shells. And I never have to worry about forgetting to put shells in my pocket
                        This^^^^, and if I get into some pigs, I'll unload my gun and might need additional ammo.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                          I’ve been hearing that quite a bit this season on properties within earshot of my lease - rapid multiple shots. I think it is an indication that the pig infestation is as bad in the whole area as it is on our lease
                          I shot a 200 plus pound pig yesterday. Took 3 shots out of my 06 to bring him down.............

Comment

i was out the other day and sounded like someone shooting just for fun but was at like 7am and on the lease so im sure it was someone being very inaccurate!

Comment

Shot 5 pigs Monday evening. They just kept coming.

Comment

Originally posted by sectxag06 View Post
                                i can say only 1 time in my life that i've been that guy and it was on the biggest buck of my life to this day. i was around 15/16 hunting just outside Corpus Christi. my dad and i were hunting a friend's property that was pretty small. 2 stands. mostly open fields.

the rules of the ranch were only bucks if they are 150 inch or better. i was freaking as i had never even seen a deer that big in the wild having grown up hunting in Sonora shooting 100-150 yards max.

my dad says if you see a 150 you'll know don't worry. he was hunting the other blind.

well, on the last morning, the wind is blowing hard and 2 bucks are chasing a doe in and out of the brush. finally, they make their move and start to run across the open field. they stop. i know instantly this is a 150 plus deer.

but, i don't have any sort of range finder and there is nothing for me to gauge the distance. i do know this is the longest shot i've taken.

so, i put my dad's .270 up and try to steady my breathing. i put the crosshairs over his back. bang. deer takes 2 steps and keeps looking. so another shell goes in. bang. he doesn't move. i cannot believe what is happening. bang. he runs 10 yards.

i need to load another shell. at this point, i'd never missed a deer with a scoped rifle in my life. i was in complete shock as too what was happening. freaking out over this deer and how i blew it. digging through my bad. grab another shell and get it loaded.

i purposely slow my breathing. i figure i must be shooting over him or something. so, i put the crosshairs about midway between the top of his shoulder and his back. squeeze the trigger.

where did he go? looking, looking. i don't see a deer anywhere. so, i get out of the stand and start walking through the waist high grass to where he should have been. then i see 1 antler gleaming in the sunlight and lose my mind.

284 yards. scored 156 with a broken tine. would have been probably broken 160.

That’s a good story. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
                                X