50 years in the Making - A Lifetime Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50 years in the Making - A Lifetime Buck

My dad, at 68 years old, is in the middle of his 50th year as a bowhunter. He has killed a lot of good bucks, but never broken the 130" mark. I have hunted with him pretty much since I could walk. He is the reason I love hunting and archery. Over the years I have seen him shoot several animals, but I have never been with him when he has killed a buck.

The last several years we have hunted together more times than not. I had made it a goal to not only watch/video him shooting a buck, but also get him a buck that will crack that 130" mark. I have killed 5 bucks over 130 and I just didn't think it was fair that my dad had never had the good fortune of getting one. He has certainly put in the hard work and time to deserve one!

This past weekend on my best buddy Eric's ranch down in South Texas, a lifelong dream was realized. Saturday evening, 2 days after my dad's 68th birthday, we had one the most memorable hunts of our lives. We were covered up with deer from the start. We had deer all around us when a group of rutting blackbucks came in fighting and strutting around. They raised so much commotion they scared all the deer off. Finally, deer started to slowly filter back in. We had several new bucks come in, just not the target buck we were after for my dad. Then a cull buck that Eric wanted me to shoot came in and presented a shot at 10 yards. I knew things seemed magical, so I gestured to my dad that I was going to pass. I had a good feeling dad's buck would show up.

Sure enough, minutes later, the buck came strolling in. He immediately went to a fresh scrape we were hunting over and freshened it up. Then he worked his way in for a bite and gave my dad a perfect shot opportunity. Dad made a great slightly quartering away shot. The buck ran off spraying good blood and we were pretty sure we heard him crash and die just out of sight. I don't think my dad even knew what happened for a moment, and then it all started to sink in. We could hardly wait to go get him. After an easy track of about 50 yards and a big hug, my dad put his hands on his "Buck of a Lifetime".

I couldn't be more happy and proud for my dad. It was a long time coming for a well deserved giant. Dad eclipsed his previous best of 128" with this amazing buck scoring 174 2/8! You did it Dad! I can't thank Eric enough for allowing us to hunt such an awesome buck. A gesture not easily repaid, I just hope he understands how much it means to both of us. Thanks EZ!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181103_203158_resize.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	25163218

Name:	20181103_203213_crop2.jpg
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	25163217

Name:	20181103_203050_resize.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	25163219

Name:	20181103_203238_crop.jpg
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	25163220

Name:	123_11.jpg
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	25163221

Name:	20181104_002712_resize.jpg
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	25163222

Supercool! Congrats to your pops

Comment

Great job. Congrats to everyone involved.

-john

Comment

Awesome write up and hunt!

Congrats to your pops.

Comment

That's awesome. Way to go.

I recognize that Trophy Cooler! Very cool invention.

Comment

Wow... Good for you guys! One can sense your pride/relief/elation in your write-up. Congrats to you and your dad.

Comment

Character is not in short supply here! Congrats Mr. Osburn and Jeff!

Makes me think about my dad and of all the great bucks he was able to take over his lifetime. However, he never killed a 10 point. Something I always wanted to put him on. Didn't get the chance.
              Last edited by Chad_E; 11-05-2018, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Fantastic. Congrats!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Awesome buck, Congratulations!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Well done Glen!

Comment

Congrats to your father for getting his buck. Congratulations on having friends to share their ranch and most of all for you being able to spend these special times with your dad.

Comment

Buck of a lifetime for sure. Huge congrats to your dad !!!!!

Comment

Too cool! Congrats to him!

Comment

Awesome deer! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X