No brow tine bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No brow tine bucks

Have several bucks on our place that are 4 pointer with no brow tines. Most of them are 2.5 with only a couple being 3.5. Would you let the 2.5 ones walk to see if they get better or cull them out? I definitely feel that we need to cull out the 3.5 ones. By that age, they should have brow tines.

Shoot

Comment

Sounds like you got a freaky daddy out there that needs cullin too

Comment

It seems to me you have a problem. I would start taking all of them if they are not showing any brows by 2.5.

Comment

We shoot them for no brow tines

Comment

Here is a link you might want to look at.

Comment

Cull.

Comment

If they are not 3yr old or older deer they dont need to be shot no matter what they look like and even then you are Not going to get rid of that trait in your deer herd if it is a strong trait. Hood news is that brow tines count the least towards a bucks score in most cases so it is not that big of a deal if you have several out there that have none

Comment

Not by any means saying what we do is the gospel but we don't cull anything until 3.5. We started this about 7 years ago because we needed to get our buck numbers up. We were shooting all spikes and anything "inferior" prior. Our doe to buck ratio was about 5:1. The biggest deer we had killed on the place was 164 inches. Since we started not culling until 3.5 our ratio has leveled to about 2.5:1 and our consistent quality has gone through the roof with deer around the 170 mark every year. We are low fenced BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by BDR View Post
                    Not by any means saying what we do is the gospel but we don't cull anything until 3.5. We started this about 7 years ago because we needed to get our buck numbers up. We were shooting all spikes and anything "inferior" prior. Our doe to buck ratio was about 5:1. The biggest deer we had killed on the place was 164 inches. Since we started not culling until 3.5 our ratio has leveled to about 2.5:1 and our consistent quality has gone through the roof with deer around the 170 mark every year. We are low fenced BTW.
                    I wish more people saw it this way.

A baby freak with a crap rack is still just a baby.

I'd rather cull a 3.5 yo for a meat buck than a 1.5-2.5 yo that carries a lot less grindable body mass than his younger brethren.

Comment

2.5 no brows we shoot, everyone has there on opinion.

Comment

Your hunting place would be amazing if you and neighbors only killed 6.5 year old bucks or older, regardless of what was on their head.

Want meat? Shoot a doe.

Comment

Do you have an abundance of bucks? If so, taking them out wont hurt if they are the bottom of their age class, rack wise. If you have a lopsided doe to buck ratio then you need to leave them alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                            Your hunting place would be amazing if you and neighbors only killed 6.5 year old bucks or older, regardless of what was on their head.

Want meat? Shoot a doe.
                            This ^^^

Comment

No brow tine bucks

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                              Do you have an abundance of bucks? If so, taking them out wont hurt if they are the bottom of their age class, rack wise. If you have a lopsided doe to buck ratio then you need to leave them alone.

Agreed. I passed this buck but I think he broke his brows but even if he didn't I would rather shot him next year to see if he puts on more mass and length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X