• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
    I love to eat bass!
    Dang. Why do I post right after you?

Comment

Bass in an Ice Chest! Ohhh I cringed a little..

Comment

I once dunked a 10 pounder in a turkey fryer�� It was delicious��

Comment

Originally posted by crowmagnum View Post
          I once dunked a 10 pounder in a turkey fryer�� It was delicious��
          pics or it didn't happen

Comment

Originally posted by Bigcoyote View Post
            Help me out here guys. I’m new to tx fishing. Are y’all talking about fishing on private property vs public waters? When I look up txpwd Rey’s I see a 14” 5-fish limit on black bass. That doesn’t seem to be what’s in the cooler. Just curious. Heading to a private pond this weekend.
            Pretty sure it's a public vs private waters thing. Statewide limit of combination of largemouth, smallmouth, Guadalupe and spotted bass is 5 with minimum of 14" on public waters. Limits and I believe size doesn't apply on private water.

I ate my first bass in probably 30 years the other day. Decided to keep one with all the crappie we were catching. I'm a bass eater now! I'll be stocking the freezer this summer with largemouth. I caught so many last summer that I threw back because they've always been a fun sport thing for me. After a lengthy discussion with someone at work that said they eat almost as good as crappie, I decided to try one again. I admit I felt a little sad keeping the one I kept, but at the end of the day it is better for the small lake to cull the 10-15" fish and give the bigger bass more to eat. We caught plenty in the 4-8# range last summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
              Pretty sure it's a public vs private waters thing. Statewide limit of combination of largemouth, smallmouth, Guadalupe and spotted bass is 5 with minimum of 14" on public waters. Limits and I believe size doesn't apply on private water.

I ate my first bass in probably 30 years the other day. Decided to keep one with all the crappie we were catching. I'm a bass eater now! I'll be stocking the freezer this summer with largemouth. I caught so many last summer that I threw back because they've always been a fun sport thing for me. After a lengthy discussion with someone at work that said they eat almost as good as crappie, I decided to try one again. I admit I felt a little sad keeping the one I kept, but at the end of the day it is better for the small lake to cull the 10-15" fish and give the bigger bass more to eat. We caught plenty in the 4-8# range last summer.

Agree totally. Bass are excellent...equal to crappie IMO. We pan blackened those in the cooler with some lemon butter cream sauce....mercy.

Yep statewide bag/length limits only apply to public fisheries. We kept 96 bass that day and have taken out 213 bass in the last month. Still have more to go but its alot of fun doing it! The bad part is that there are alot of 1/2" bass fry already swimming around...so we will have to continue to pound these fish in the future years.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post

Agree totally. Bass are excellent...equal to crappie IMO. We pan blackened those in the cooler with some lemon butter cream sauce....mercy.

Yep statewide bag/length limits only apply to public fisheries. We kept 96 bass that day and have taken out 213 bass in the last month. Still have more to go but its alot of fun doing it! The bad part is that there are alot of 1/2" bass fry already swimming around...so we will have to continue to pound these fish in the future years.
                Curious to try other cooking methods with them. Bass filet will hold together better than crappie for things like blackened, pan frying, etc...right?

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
                  Curious to try other cooking methods with them. Bass filet will hold together better than crappie for things like blackened, pan frying, etc...right?
                  They hold up good enough but not like a redfish by any means. We cut the filets in half from the start and that helps with alot of the flaking off.

Comment

I hit a pond the other day that needs a good culling. The fish we caught were either 10-13 inches or 4 lbs +. I caught 35-40 dinks from 6:00 till dark. Gonna talk to the guy who owns it and may be frying ups some bass just like this in the near future.

Comment

There's bound to be a few guys wearing some ridiculous looking jerseys staring at the green screen ready to faint right about now.

Comment

Originally posted by asu-indian View Post
                        Dang. Why do I post right after you?
                        Pete and rePete!

Comment

I've got a friendly neighbor that allows my family to fish his 2 acre lake. There are large numbers of bass. I normally catch several 3-6lb fish in a single afternoon but the last two trips have given way to alot of hungry little buck bass. They just finished spawning here and their tails show the signs of bedded fish but are healing up nicely. The shear numbers of blowups from small fish and the actual number of 10-15" fish we caught were alarming for just a few hour trip. There is a healthy supply of panfish present to feed the big bass. I like to take my son out and nail the bigger bluegill and hybrid perch. I have caught some pushing 8-10 inches long. There are some bigger catfish in there as well.

Its not doomsday yet, but its getting time to thin the herd a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                            I just had some crappie last weekend and I agree with you, I love eating Bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Good deal y’all keep eating those bass .
                            Throw them nasty crappie back in the water for me !!!

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post

Well leave a few for us!

Comment

All you guys that need culling done...

I can run a Texas-rigged worm almost as good as I can run a fillet knife. Just saying.

Comment

Working...
                                X