Goat/Sheep Feed vs. Deer Protein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goat/Sheep Feed vs. Deer Protein

I have read several articles and done a little research and found that most deer protein contains approx 16% protein. Most Sheep and Goat feed contains at least 16% and up to 20% protein. Not a big deal. However...

The advantage is the price. Sheep/Goat feed can be HALF as much as the deer protein. Also, most "deer" or "wildlife" protein is remnant feed not passing certain criteria for livestock, and is marketed and sold under the label of deer and wildlife feed. So it appears that we are buying a second rate product for twice the price????

I'm thinking about using sheep/goat feed (20% protein) at our lease this year. Same or better quality and can afford more at a cheaper price than usual.

Does anyone currently use sheep/goat feed instead of deer protein??

holdin - contact Cary Zipp at the feed mill over in Gorman where they make Red Chain Feeds. He is the nutrionist at the mill. They price out deer protein probably just as cheap as goat/sheep feed (approx $7 to $7.50 for 50lbs). He can also answer your questions regarding comparison.

Comment

There is a difference (in minerals) used in Deer Protein than for Sheep/Goat.....

Comment

I tried that route a few years ago and they would clean it up in Liberty Hill at my dads place. Tried it out at lake georgetown and they would not touch it.

Comment

adios!

Comment

I feed cattle feed to deer. A 50# sack of mixed grain goes for about $3.50. It is 16% protein. It contains a mix of rolled corn, milo, cottonseed meal, hulls, and pellets, molasses, and a few other ingredients I am sure. We buy it by the ton. The deer go nuts over it.

Comment

cattle feed? Interesting. Ill be heading out this next weekend, loading up with protein to start the summer!

Ill be doing some more research before then, just curious if anyone was trying other forms of protein.

Thanks!

Comment

hogdude - what kind of feed are you buying for $3.50 per 50lbs and where ? I cant buy whole oats for that price.

Comment

yes where are you buying cattle feed that is 16% protein for that cost?

Comment

From what I understand sheep feed does not have copper in it, I have heard this can cause problems for deer. I am no expert but something for you too look into.

Comment

Originally posted by Lung Shooter View Post
                      From what I understand sheep feed does not have copper in it, I have heard this can cause problems for deer. I am no expert but something for you too look into.
                      Exactly, sheep have alot lower copper requirement than deer. Feeding sheep feed to deer can potentially lead to a copper deficiency. Remember the protein % is not the only thing that comes into play for deer. The micro and macro minerals found in true deer feed aren't found in sheep/cattle feed. These minerals are very important and are used for everything from anter growth to immune, respiratory, and circulatory system maintenance.

Comment

good points but still protein for $4 or less cant be beat. Would be curious to hear back from the guy who uses it with the results he sees?

Comment

Re: Goat/Sheep Feed vs. Deer Protein

I don't know of any protein that can be bought for less than $4 per bag. Sweet feed is around $5.75 to $7.00 per bag; however, sweet feed is not protein. Red chain deer protein runs about $7.50 and that is about as cheap as I have seen deer protein.

Comment

Have fed 20% sheep/goat pellets for the last couple years in the hill country, deer hammer it. In comparing labels side by side with 20% deer pellets from the same mill the goat pellets had a slightly higher fat content and about half the vitamin A content, only detectable difference from the labels. The goat/sheep pellets were larger diameter than the deer pellets but the deer chewed them up just the same.

Just my opinion and am sure many will disagree, but if my deer were in a pen and eating nothing but protein I could be concerned about differences in trace minerals but am feeding free range deer and the pellets are only part of their diet.

Am also interested in where to get 16% cattle feed for $3.50/bag as I will feed it in a heartbeat if I can get it for that. The sheep/goat pellets I have been buying run about $1.50 per bag cheaper than the deer pellets, around $7/bag.

Comment

I think we still need to keep in mind this is supplimental wildlife feed. I dont think changing the deers' suplimental feed diet (reducing copper/mineral content) would have an adverse affect on their digestion or health.

They are still wild animals who are not exclusively feeding from deer feeders. Before automatic deer feeders came about, the deer didnt have copper deficiencies, right???

It sounds like right now the best option is either this cattle feed (if we can clarify the cost and location) or the Red Label protein.

Comment

Working...
                              X