Is it Hunting or Harvesting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
    You're one of them special fellas that hugs tree's aren't you?

His name says it all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Not sure how anyone can call showing up to a ranch and getting in a blind that a guide points you to and shooting a deer that guide has patterned, while inside a high fence, "hunting".

I'm all for different hunting strategies and management, but thousands of years worth of hunters would laugh at the idea that that's hunting. It's shooting a moving target, not hunting.

Comment

I hunt around Rocksprings. We have a ton of Whitetail and axis. We HUNT for trophy animals and culls, but harvest doe to keep the numbers in check. Shooting doe, isn't anything more than being a good shot. Finding a pattern on trophy animals and putting yourself in the right spot to get a shot, is hunting. I enjoy both and have hunted high fence ranches also. I've noticed the even smaller high fenced places with native deer are harder to hunt, but when you bring in pen raised deer.....not so much. I hunted 640 acres high fenced outside of Rocksprings a while back. The only critters brought in were Oryx and big/ear tagged whitetail. We could drive around on the ranger all day, and the only critters we'd see were Oryx and tagged whitetail. Everything native would haul azz before you ever seen them. Hunted there 3 times, 9 days before I shot my Axis buck. Seen axis everytime I sat at a blind, but the big ones wouldn't come to the feed stations. Found my buck feeding on a hillside, late one afternoon.

Comment

I actually think the word of harvesting came from the national beef council if my memory is correct. You don't kill them at the packing plant but harvest them for human consumption. I may be wrong.

Comment

And then there are people like me. I rarely get to go hunting and when I do I don’t kill or harvest anything!

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
              My head hurts.
              Pretty much the conclusion that I came to.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                Really stupid & combative OP...not asking anything, opinion already formed by a self proclaimed superior sportsman with more chiming in.
                Appreciate the kind words, sir.

Comment

This is how I see it. Hunting is Hunting

You kill an animal.
                  Harvest is what you do to crops.

That being said, I developed a hunting and land management program for hunters and landowners and I use the word Harvest. So call me a hypocrite, but in today's PC world I went with that phrase for my business. Hopefully hunters will not boycott me over that, but to each their own. Website launches in a week and I hope to be an approved paid advertiser on here.

thehuntersight.com

Comment

Originally posted by NoFence View Post
                    Not sure how anyone can call showing up to a ranch and getting in a blind that a guide points you to and shooting a deer that guide has patterned, while inside a high fence, "hunting".

I'm all for different hunting strategies and management, but thousands of years worth of hunters would laugh at the idea that that's hunting. It's shooting a moving target, not hunting.
                    Take note - I'm about to defend HF this one time

People show up at my ranch, I drive them to a blind, tell them what time the deer will come out, point to the deer that I have patterned and it's near a feeder. I'm low fence. So are they not hunting?

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
                      But if you have a good “fawn crop” wouldn’t you harvest them later...

I don’t say harvest. I kill, but for some reason TPWL says i still have fill out a harvest log...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      Well your saying it wrong because technically it is "fawn recruitment" .

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                        Hunting is everything leading up to harvesting/killing.

You can hunt without harvesting and you can harvest without hunting.
                        I like this and agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                          Oh Really?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          Simmah down, y'all. Just a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by youngbuck1 View Post
                            Any y’all catch anything today?
                            Lol, that’s what my wife asks every time I go out.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                              I’ve never used the term harvesting in association with any type of hunting. I’ve always figured guys use that term to be more sophisticated than they really are, or to try not to offend any snowflakes.

Skinny
                              pretty much!
                              Originally posted by youngbuck1 View Post
                              Any y’all catch anything today?
                              That drives me up the wall...……..lol!
                              Originally posted by Outlaw_6 View Post
                              The correct term is “hunting”.

“Harvesting” was started as to not offend the non-hunters.

To be honest, I don’t have a problem with other people using “harvest” if it keeps the non-hunters from turning into anti-hunters. If all the non-hunters ever turn into anti-hunters there no longer will be hunters.
                              FACTS...………..well said sir!!!
                              Originally posted by Radar View Post
                              Probably dont matter anymore, supposedly hunting is on the decline. The news media, game warden shows and peta have done a good job of providing the general public a view of a "hunter".
                              The State Of Hunter Recruitment And R3
                              November 6, 2018 SCI 1 Comment

Rate This

Many have heard of the North American Conservation Model and how well it has worked in preserving and increasing many species of wild game in North America. But did you know that 80 percent of the dollars that go into wildlife conservation in North America comes from various taxes on the sale of hunting, shooting and fishing related items? Individually a shooter provides more conservation dollars than does an average hunter, and individually a hunter provides more conservation dollars then does an average fisherman. With respect to overall economic effect on a community, an average hunter stimulates substantially more economic effect than does an average shooter or fisherman. Knowing that, it is easy to see when hunter numbers decline, the loss to both wildlife conservation and community economic benefit is devastating.
                              You have heard that hunter numbers in the US are rapidly declining—that is a fact. The latest (2016) USFWS Report just released reported hunter numbers are down to approximately 11.5 million as of 2016, which is about 5.6 percent of the U.S. population, with new hunter recruitment at about 3.5 percent. Further, there are legitimate estimates that in 2018 hunter numbers in the U.S. are closer to 10 million hunters, and that any further decrease will make the extended viability of hunting as we know it very questionable.
                              You don’t have to be a mathematical genius to realize that old hunters are dying off at a much faster rate than new hunters are being recruited. This is a recipe for total disaster for wildlife conservation and hunting unless hunter recruitment and participation are substantially increased immediately. This is where the R3 initiative comes into play.
                              R3 stands for “recruit, retain and reactivate” and is a national initiative by most of the state DNR departments, the USFWS, numerous conservation groups (NGO’s like SCI, PF, NWTF and many more) and other private industry retailers, wholesalers and manufacturers (Hornady, Bass Pro, Cabelas and more) to rapidly increase hunter, shooter, fishing, trapping, boating and other related outdoor participation in the U.S. so as to remedy and alleviate the devastating trend as set forth above. I attended the first annual National R3 Symposium along with most of the leaders of all the groups set forth.
                              Most of the speakers said the same thing — that in order for the R3 Initiative to be effective in remedying the devastating trends in recruitment and retention in hunter and other related outdoor participation, and thereby in turn to continue to allow the North American Conservation Model to work as originally intended, the following things must be done with the ultimate goal to increase the participation in these outdoor activities and make them self-sustaining and viable once more.
                              A radical change must take place such that the R3 initiative must become the PRIMARY mission of all related governmental, non-governmental conservation and wildlife groups, as well as all those in the related private industries.
                              These three groups must be responsible for educating everyone in their groups, as well as the groups they service and sell to such as hunters, shooters, fishermen, etc., regarding the extent and devastating impact of declining participation trends; introduce and educate these groups about R3; and substantially implement the R3 movement in such a way as to increase participation to the extent necessary to materially change the existing negative trends.
                              There are many strategies, techniques and tactics to increase hunter participation. Here are a few:
                              Reallocate dollars to the implementation of R3 and make R3 a priority.
                              Determine our target market in addition to youth—millennial, Gen Z, women, minorities, inactive gun owners (50 million), scholastic clay and MARKET to them with the realization eight out of 10 U.S. citizens live in urban areas.
                              Develop evaluation tools to help insure dollars invested do in fact increase participation.
                              The three groups must work together and develop strategic long- and short-term partnerships with each other to better and more efficiently facilitate increased participation.
                              After much discussion at our board meetings, the Iowa SCI Board unanimously voted to make R3 a priority by adding the following additional goal under our Mission Statement:
                              “Promoting greater hunter participation in Iowa, the U.S. and internationally, as well as promoting and educating the public about the R3 initiative in all aspects of our Chapter’s activities.”
                              The Iowa SCI Board is also working to partner with other groups to help promote R3, including potentially partnering with the Scholastic Clay Target Program (SCTP) in creating a grant program for new scholastic clay target teams in Iowa to help in their initial start-up. We are also developing a process to evaluate potential grants/donations so as to increase our chances of success in all programs where we are contributing dollars. Finally, by this and other future articles, events, programs and contributions, we hope to educate our members as well as the general public in all aspects of R3 and its importance to the continuity of hunting.– Dennis Schemmel, Board Member, SCI Iowa Chapter
                              Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                              Originally posted by Rat View Post
                              Hunting lexicon and jargon is an interesting conversation, with the right person.

It is very interesting to see how the words have changed over the years and for what reasons.

Jumping the string is a good phrase that we all know and use, but not that long ago it was simply called ducking or reacting. Yet, now we all use jumping the string; when in fact, the deer doesn't "jump" at all! We all know what we all mean and it has become part of the jargon.

Words like harvest instead of kill or take have taken root because of the broad awareness that social media has brought upon hunting. It's more socially respectable to say "harvest" instead of "kill" and we have moved from "take" to "harvest" in the last few years. Strictly speaking, they are all correct, but it's interesting to see why we the word enters our jargon; it speaks to the state of hunting, in general, in that we are becoming more socially aware of those that may not be part of our "group".

Even within a group there are social standards that are always in flux. Not that long ago being on a high fence ranch was a bit of a status symbol in that you had made the big time and would be afforded a higher than average opportunity at large deer. We have seen that diminish somewhat in recent years with the high fence/low fence debate. It doesn't make it right or wrong, just interesting. Other things include compound vs. trad vs. self bows and fixed blade vs. mechanical.

change is the only constant, and it's interesting to watch...

Comment

Hunting is used by hunters who kill, shoot, drill, whack, stack, zip, smoke or run an area through.

Harvest is used by mamby pamby metrosexuals for whatever reason they dream up in their heads to coverup doing the above.

Comment

Working...
                                X