Can antlers be stained?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can antlers be stained?

I have a sorry of antlers that are 16 years old and I’d like trim stain them for my wedding. Is Ethan an option? Can they be stained to look more natural since they are pretty much white now.

If they can be stained, anyone have advice on how to do it and color to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	24539545I use old English furniture polish, it's a dark brown. Works great I will try and post pics. Taxedermy supply stores also have differant colors of stain. You can even use coffee. I found this bull dead last year and both sides were like the weird side. And a few coats of old English stained the good side to what you see.
    Last edited by critter69; 05-16-2018, 05:15 PM.

Comment

I’ve used again & even used motor oil...no issues

Comment

If you want it to look natural, order a stain kit from taxidermy supply, it'll have several different colors. You can fade it out on the tips, darken in on the burrs, lighter on the tips. I do reproduction antler work and you start with a white base, its amazing how real and natural you can make them.

Comment

I made a paste with instant coffee and it came out looking totally natural
          I used Folgers instant coffee

Comment

Use Old English Scratch cover for dark woods. Works great and you can apply 1 or 2 coats and make them as dark as you want.

Comment

I’ve used fresh coffee grinds. Rubbed on with my hands let dry and then brushed off the dried grinds. Works good.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate he advice. Will try old English or coffee. How do you make the coffee mixture or do you rub it on dry?

Comment

Rub/scrub them down real good with used coffee grounds. This is a old school technique that works pretty dang good.. Cheap, safe and easy.. Let them dry and repeat if you want them darker..

If the are cracked up the process to restore them becomes a lot more involved..

Comment

I’m glad you asked this question because I’ve got a tub of sheds to stain for my wedding decorations.

Comment

Early American or prevential minwax works good. Once it dries you can lighten the tips and give it some contrast with fine steel wool

Comment

I have used just old fashion wood stain before with pretty good results.

-john

Comment

Use coffee grounds they work great. Be sure and get them wet before using and then rub all across the horns and let set for a little while. If not dark enough use a second coat and it will continue to darken up, this looks more natural than any stain I've found so far.

Comment

Potassium permagnate or however its spelled it’s a purple powder you get from taxidermy supply. You add paint thinner and rub it on with a cotton ball. It looks purple but in about 2 minutes it’s oxidizes and is the most real color I’ve seen out of all the other treatments. Just use steel wool to fade where needed

Comment

Yeah the potassium permanganate works best for the natural look and is available online and at stores that sell koi fish pond supplies - it's cheap and it's an oxidizer so wear gloves or you'll have brown hands for a few days! You can apply more coats for a darker brown. Just mix with a small amount of water and coat with rag. Plus it seals the horn and when buffed goes to a nice shine - even when hand buffed with a polishing rag

Comment

Working...
                              X