No announcement yet.

Chaparral WMA - Archery - Jan 2nd - 5th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hunted it for the crossbow hunt about 5 years ago. Great place to see a lot of nice deer, but much easier with a rifle!!! We shot a couple does, missed a couple more, and shot one javelina. I held out for that trophy buck and while I saw a few of them, never could get them to stand still long enough for a shot. In mid-Dec they were cruising and running every time they got to a sendero. Never found the bucks to be interested in the corn either. The javis vacuum it up as soon as you put it down tho. There is a really good map of all the compartments out there on the web, just use search engine and it will come right up. The staff has always been great and it is a fantastic place to experience South Texas.

Comment

Congrats, sir. I hunted there last year (bow). I did not kill a deer but it was an awesome hunt and an outstanding opportunity nonetheless. I did kill my first and last javelina though! Anyway, make sure to bring a pop up blind or two and brush it in really well. Do not waste your time bringing a tower blind because there are not any trees taller than 10'. Good luck, I am sure you will have a blast!

Comment

Quick question as I have never hunted here. Once you are assigned / pick a compartment, do you just drive there in your vehicle? I am assuming the roads are well maintained...

Comment

Originally posted by kgrutzmacher View Post
          Quick question as I have never hunted here. Once you are assigned / pick a compartment, do you just drive there in your vehicle? I am assuming the roads are well maintained...
          They lead you out and show you the compartment at the start of the hunt and then you are on your own after that. Will give you a good topo type map with the compartment outline.

Roads are very good. Only a few spots that can get sloppy if it rains to much. I've hunted there several times and have never had any issues in a 2WD truck.

Comment

Good roads everywhere around the WMA. You should have no problem getting to/from compartments. That said, if you intend to drive around on the two-tracks within the larger compartments like Blocker, Ano Nuevo, Baldy, or Mare then you may find them muddy or washed out after rains. The Dept. personnel will give you their office number and come get you out, if you do something dumb!!!

If you can swing it, a trip down to quail hunt is some of the best pre-hunt scouting you can do on the WMA.

Comment

Good luck to all who were drawn. I look forward to following along.

Comment

For those that have hunted Chap recently - I assume the assign multiple hunters to a compartment. How do they determine boundaries as to where each can setup tripods? I know I can just wait until closer to the hunt to inquire but the recent aerial survey photos have me pumped!

Just hope all the gun hunters don't take all the big one out before I get there in January!

Comment

They try not to mix parties, but if they do I would imagine they would take a compartment split it in half by a sendero or imaginary line.

Comment

For those that have hunted Chap recently - I assume the assign multiple hunters to a compartment. How do they determine boundaries as to where each can setup tripods? I know I can just wait until closer to the hunt to inquire but the recent aerial survey photos have me pumped!

Just hope all the gun hunters don't take all the big one out before I get there in January!
                    Unlike some other WMAs, they try not to mix hunters in compartments. At least in the past, they have given a separate compartment to each hunt party. Basically, it will only be you (and your hunt party) in the assigned compartment.

If you are alone or a smaller party, they may break a larger compartment in 2 BUT they will define each section and you will stay in your assigned part of the compartment and the other hunter/group will stay in their assigned part. Not that I'm antisocial but the defined boundaries help avoid issues in my mind.

Hunted a WMA a few years ago and "shared" a compartment with another hunter. We talked via phone before each hunt period but that guy just never seemed happy with where he was at so we were never sure exactly where he was. He said he was a "still/stalk hunter" and liked to move around. And this was a gun hunt...... I couldn't wear enough orange gear on that hunt.

Comment

Do we use our own deer tags from our license on this hunt or does the Chap issue a tag if you harvest a deer?

Comment

When I went I was a solo Hunter and had my own compartment. If you applied with others y'all will share the compartment

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                          Do we use our own deer tags from our license on this hunt or does the Chap issue a tag if you harvest a deer?
                          You use their tags.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                            When I went I was a solo Hunter and had my own compartment. If you applied with others y'all will share the compartment
                            Were you on an ARCHERY or GUN hunt solo? I'd guess you were in Baldy or Mare if you were by yourself.

What was your outcome? Any success?

Comment

Hunted javi there a few years ago, staff are great, my wife and I hunted the north jay pasture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                                Were you on an ARCHERY or GUN hunt solo? I'd guess you were in Baldy or Mare if you were by yourself.

What was your outcome? Any success?
                                Have hunted their solo and they actually split one of the larger compartments (South Jay) into sections to accomodate solo hunters. They did it that way because they needed an increased harvest on that side of the property.

Comment

Working...
                                X