State inspection/license tags all in one. 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
    So I have been wondering,how many motorcycle cops will be reassigned?

I still do not understand the reasoning of making the change

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
      So I have been wondering,how many motorcycle cops will be reassigned?

I still do not understand the reasoning of making the change

None, it's Texas. Nobody registers their trailer and everybody makes a wide right turn.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
        Maybe I have the wrong information but we briefly discussed this in the new laws section of our training. I thought that there is no coinciding with the inspection and the registration. There is only the requirement that your vehicle did get inspected before you can pay for your tags. In effect, it is no different than your vehicle insurance. You might have bought a policy in June and got your registration expired in November. To pay for your new registration/tags, you have to show that your vehicle does have insurance. I think the new inspection works the same way. If your vehicle was inspected in June and it is good for a year and renewed your car registration in November, you will have proof that your vehicle is currently under inspection (having been done in June and good for a year). It is not like you have to go to an inspection station and then drive to the courthouse to get your tags.

Once a vehicle is inspected, that information is supposed to go into the state vehicle registration so that if an officer runs your tags, it will show both the registration expiration date and the inspection expiration date which may be different. There would be no need to pro-rate it. Also since the cost of the inspection is added to the registration each year, when inspected at a station you will only pay the part that is currently for the inspection station. Your out of pocket at the actual inspection will be less as the rest will be added to your tags.

On the other hand, I might have been nodding of a bit during that exciting part of the class and misunderstood what was said.

I know the question on your test was something about the registration and inspection being combined and the answer was "true".
        This makes sense to me. I plan out keeping the inspection receipt with me in the truck.

Comment

Counties with large metros have to pass emissions testing. That's the 14.50 vs 35.00. And going to neighboring counties doesn't usually help. Have to inspect your vehicle in the county it's registered in.

Comment

I got away with an outdated inspection for 18 months till I finally got pulled over last January. The cop was actually impressed LOL

This is going to make it harder to get away with. Nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
              I got away with an outdated inspection for 18 months till I finally got pulled over last January. The cop was actually impressed LOL

This is going to make it harder to get away with. Nuts.
              But not for 11 months and 29 days. Unless you have two vehicles and not register one for 6 months....

Having two vehicles you can cut costs by parking one for a while, then signing their form stating it hasn't been driven.
              Last edited by Thumper; 03-30-2014, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                Maybe I have the wrong information but we briefly discussed this in the new laws section of our training. I thought that there is no coinciding with the inspection and the registration. There is only the requirement that your vehicle did get inspected before you can pay for your tags. In effect, it is no different than your vehicle insurance. You might have bought a policy in June and got your registration expired in November. To pay for your new registration/tags, you have to show that your vehicle does have insurance. I think the new inspection works the same way. If your vehicle was inspected in June and it is good for a year and renewed your car registration in November, you will have proof that your vehicle is currently under inspection (having been done in June and good for a year). It is not like you have to go to an inspection station and then drive to the courthouse to get your tags.

Once a vehicle is inspected, that information is supposed to go into the state vehicle registration so that if an officer runs your tags, it will show both the registration expiration date and the inspection expiration date which may be different. There would be no need to pro-rate it. Also since the cost of the inspection is added to the registration each year, when inspected at a station you will only pay the part that is currently for the inspection station. Your out of pocket at the actual inspection will be less as the rest will be added to your tags.

On the other hand, I might have been nodding of a bit during that exciting part of the class and misunderstood what was said.

I know the question on your test was something about the registration and inspection being combined and the answer was "true".
                But if the data is entered into the computer at the time of inspection why would you have to show proof of inspection at time of registration renewal? The data should already be in the computer.

Comment

That's how Indiana (near Chicago) was when we lived up there...really wasn't a big deal. I don't think the inspections are good for anything anyway...waste of time just to get the revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by mchildress View Post
                    I always get mine the next week after it expired. Its like every 12 years I get a free one.

That would be if you waited 1 month after it expires. Or if you waited 52 years you would get a free one.

Comment

Originally posted by mrddye View Post
                      Counties with large metros have to pass emissions testing. That's the 14.50 vs 35.00. And going to neighboring counties doesn't usually help. Have to inspect your vehicle in the county it's registered in.
                      Yep.

Also, the county range for emmissions testing is getting larger.

Take Houston for example. When emmissions was first passed, it was Harris County only. Now emmissions testing is required in all surrounding counties; i.e. galveston, brazoria, ft bend, etc. As far as I know, diesels are still exempt and pay $14.50. Everyone else pays $45.

I hate it too. If your check engine light is on for any type of emmission related deal, the testing computer will auto default you to fail regardless of what is actually comming out of your tail pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Shurshot View Post
                        That would be if you waited 1 month after it expires. Or if you waited 52 years you would get a free one.
                        If you get an inspection on the day after it expires, they put on the next month on the new inspection.
                        Example, your inspection expires at the end of January.
                        You get an inspection on February 1.
                        Your new inspection sticker will now expire at the end of February the following year.
                        The next year, you get an inspection on March 1. They will put on a sticker that expires at the end of March next year.
                        Keep doing that over and over and you get the point. Cops will usually not ticket you up to 10 days expired, at least in my area.
                        Next time you're in a parking lot, notice the dates on the registration and inspection stickers. I bet you won't find many that match.

In reality though, it'll take 12 years to save only $14.50 by doing it in this method.
                        It feels like you are "sticking it to the man", but in reality it's a lot of effort to save a little bit of money.

Comment

Originally posted by denowt View Post
                          If you get an inspection on the day after it expires, they put on the next month on the new inspection.

Example, your inspection expires at the end of January.

You get an inspection on February 1.

Your new inspection sticker will now expire at the end of February the following year.

The next year, you get an inspection on March 1. They will put on a sticker that expires at the end of March next year.

Keep doing that over and over and you get the point. Cops will usually not ticket you up to 10 days expired, at least in my area.

Next time you're in a parking lot, notice the dates on the registration and inspection stickers. I bet you won't find many that match.

In reality though, it'll take 12 years to save only $14.50 by doing it in this method.

It feels like you are "sticking it to the man", but in reality it's a lot of effort to save a little bit of money.

I knew that didn't sound right. I'm still hungover.

Comment

Originally posted by Shurshot View Post
                            I knew that didn't sound right. I'm still hungover.

Comment

Texas needs to do away with the inspection all together.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
                                Yep.

Also, the county range for emmissions testing is getting larger.

Take Houston for example. When emmissions was first passed, it was Harris County only. Now emmissions testing is required in all surrounding counties; i.e. galveston, brazoria, ft bend, etc. As far as I know, diesels are still exempt and pay $14.50. Everyone else pays $45.

I hate it too. If your check engine light is on for any type of emmission related deal, the testing computer will auto default you to fail regardless of what is actually comming out of your tail pipe.
                                Not in Waller County......yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X