DH30's Homemade Ground Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike,
    I don't have any magic way to do the roof carpet. You are correct....getting a square flat piece of carpet to fit a dome is tricky. The best that I can describe what I do is to lay it over the top, ensure that the "pleats" created by placing a flat item over a domed shape are as even as possible and then use zip ties to bunch up the "pleats" as best as possible.

Flink knapper,
    I don't really have any good pictures of the finished blind. The only decent pics I have are of my setups in San Angelo and they are brushed in so well that you cannot even see the blind.

Comment

I think I am going to try my hand at making one of these, and if it turns out well possibly more. Thanks for the instructions

Comment

How Much To Make The Whole Thing?

Comment

I want to say that my last one cost about $80.

Comment

thanks for the pics, does it hold up well in the weather? Thats the only thing im worried about.

Comment

They hold up VERY well in weather. I have had one out for several years and it's still in great shape.

Comment

They will last for years and years in the elements. I had one out in Uvalde several years then moved it in one piece to S.Tx. and it worked great.

Comment

We have five of these set out. Have been set up for around three years. Cost is about $80.00. Here are some inside and outside pics.
                  van7.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tony_chacheres_creole_seaso.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	23828238

van1.jpg

van3.jpg

Comment

Very Creative.. I like the idea. might have to try it.

Comment

Where is a good place to go to find the carpet and what are materials will work that are easily accessible other than carpet?

Comment

Has anyone tried putting shoot through netting on one yet?

Comment

These things are great and last a LONG time. I'm going on year 3 for one of mine and it looks like I put it up yesterday. I went a step further and lined the whole thing in a thick landscaping plastic. The good is that it virtually eliminates scent. The bad is the thing is a sweatlodge in October. For the money (less than $100), these things beat a pop up every day of the week if you don't need to move them around very often. We have others that are wrapped in burlap and that seems to work just as well as carpet, but the burlap will leak a bit in a bad rain.

Comment

AgHntr10,
                            I had shoot thru windows on one of mine. I built a frame from 1X2s and stretched and stapled shoot thru mesh onto the frame. I then bent a couple of metal brackets so I could hang the frames on the cattle panel.

Comment

I get my carpet at Home Depot. It comes in rolls that are 5x8. It takes three rolls. It comes in two "weights". The more expensive one, (by a couple of dollars), is thicker and blocks out the light better. Two for the walls and one for the roof. I use a piece of heavy carpet for the door. We also drive two t-posts in to anchor the sides of the door. I found that if you roll the cattle panel into a circle after you put the carpet on, it sets up a lot easier. In my pictures above, the blind has netting over the window. I just zip-tie the netting to the cattle panel.

Comment

Oh sorry, I didn't even notice the netting in the pictures above. If nothing happens I am going to try to set one up this weekend and I will have some pictures up next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X