No announcement yet.

What is a good sized 8 pt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An average 8 in Texas is probably 110 to 120 but for me a big 8 is 145plus. Our ranch usually produces 2 or 3 a year over 150.

Comment

Here's one that was shot off of our place several years ago that went 131, for Kimble Co I consider this a big 8
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        I like that...

I wish more hunters would take that to heart.....there is more to deer hunting than a scoring system that rewards symmetry over gross.
        X2

I am probably one of the most competitive people on Earth and want to playing any game where score is being kept, but the scoring system of deer has helped ruin deer hunting. I love to compete but when hunting the competition should be between YOU and the ANIMAL. Not between you and your buddy.

Comment

135 top
          144 3/8 bottom (I know. He's a mainframe 8 though)

Both killed in Mcmullen County
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ACCURACYINC; 10-11-2017, 11:02 AM. Reason: ...

Comment

All depends

150+ personally is a big 8

A dream buck is a straight 160"+ eight

Comment

To me a good 8 is 120 or so.

Comment

Any 8 that makes you immediately grab your weapon of choice is a big 8. If you have to sit there and think about it, you are going to be disappointed when you walk up on him. This is what I always tell anyone Im guiding. It pertains to all bucks not just 8 points. The answer to your question is a individual as it gets. For me, I had a goal of a 150" 8 point. After many years of passing 140+ 8pts and letting others shoot them, I finally realized it probably wasnt going to happen in the area I was in. I finally took one that was 145" and change and I couldnt be happier with him regardless of the score. I was very foolish for passing on some of those others because of their score. The deer in my avatar is a mainframe 8 pt. His 8 pt frame was 153, so I guess in a way I did manage to get one over 150"

Comment

Hillcountry 130" 8 is a big 8. South Texas 140

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                    Any 8 that makes you immediately grab your weapon of choice is a big 8. If you have to sit there and think about it, you are going to be disappointed when you walk up on him. This is what I always tell anyone Im guiding. It pertains to all bucks not just 8 points. The answer to your question is a individual as it gets. For me, I had a goal of a 150" 8 point. After many years of passing 140+ 8pts and letting others shoot them, I finally realized it probably wasnt going to happen in the area I was in. I finally took one that was 145" and change and I couldnt be happier with him regardless of the score. I was very foolish for passing on some of those others because of their score. The deer in my avatar is a mainframe 8 pt. His 8 pt frame was 153, so I guess in a way I did manage to get one over 150"
                    What did he score with all the goodies??

Comment

Well I was gonna post my trophy 8.

I'll just say he was at least 5 and I had countless encounters with him over the span of about 4 years.

As mentioned a trophy is what you make ut

Comment

Originally posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
                        135 top
                        144 3/8 bottom (I know. He's a mainframe 8 though)

Both killed in Mcmullen County
                        Did you post the right pics? Are you sure? Lol.

130" 8 is a much better deer than a lot realize. 150+ 8 is a giant. It depends on the area. I'd smoke a 130 8 on our mason ranch. I wouldn't give it a second look up north.

Comment

120-125" is where I start considering it a big 8 where we hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            Did you post the right pics? Are you sure? Lol.

130" 8 is a much better deer than a lot realize. 150+ 8 is a giant. It depends on the area. I'd smoke a 130 8 on our mason ranch. I wouldn't give it a second look up north.
                            I'm pretty sure we were looking at the "inches" side of the tape??? .. yes. All of our deer have to be scored. We're all reasonably good scorers. Pre-morning whiskey anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by Bradical BH View Post
                              To each is thier own. 140" is the standard as far as I'm concerned for a big 8
                              this

Comment

iTS RELATIVE TO WHERE YOU HUNT AND THE OPPERTUNITIES YOU HAVE HAD TO KILL BIG DEER. IVE NEVER BEEN ON A PLACE THAT HAS HUGE DEER SO I SHOOT THE ONE THAT GETS ME EXCITED WHEN HE COMES OUT. THIS IS MY SONS 1ST YEAR TO HUNT BY HIMSELF AND THATS WHAT I TELL HIM.

Comment

Working...
                                X