No announcement yet.

Those who gave up lease to hunt their own land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought my own place 13 years ago. I went from having two spots in South Texas and hunting about 1,000 acres down to 330 acres that I bought. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. I was tired of messing with landowners and their ever changing rules.

Comment

I was a member of a well ran club in Trinity County. In fact I was the prez for a period (or whatever the position was called). We were early into really starting to manage, great guys, good deer etc, 3,600 acres, etc. However I wanted my own place where what I put into it would have equity. I bought 150 acres down the way from the club (Polk County) about 10 years ago. After two season of juggling I reluctantly gave up my club membership. I still go down and visit and even have taken a doe or two as a guest. There has been ups and downs with my land. I doubt I will ever shoot a deer on my place like they are shooting down at the club, but at the end of the day for me there is more to it than antlers. I believe I have never made a better decision.

Comment

I have to add this....when you buy your land, you have to be able to know when to switch from "working on my land" mode to "enjoying my land" mode. It's been difficult for me, mainly because I enjoy working on the land. During the first several years I was horrible at it....couldn't sit in a deer stand without thinking about all the stuff that I wanted or needed to do. I have gotten better at knowing when to work and when to enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
          I have to add this....when you buy your land, you have to be able to know when to switch from "working on my land" mode to "enjoying my land" mode. It's been difficult for me, mainly because I enjoy working on the land. During the first several years I was horrible at it....couldn't sit in a deer stand without thinking about all the stuff that I wanted or needed to do. I have gotten better at knowing when to work and when to enjoy.
          Yep. I still have problems with that 30 years later, because I enjoy the feeling of a completed project. But I still take time to hog hunt every day. And stop to watch the deer and other wildlife.

Comment

Very well said man!

During Oct-Christmas hardly any work is done for me. Hunting mode

Comment

This is SO TRUE! My wife is always saying slow down & enjoy the place. I get my mind set on doing something & can't let it go. I have gotten a little better at it & realized I can't do it all in a weekend. It is so satisfying to see the place come together though.

Comment

My last place was almost 10k acres and I only had 4 deer on camera in six months! This was my tipping point that led me to buy my own place! It is 360 acres and I don't regret a thing!

Comment

I will vote this up too!

Comment

I've got 2600ac to myself and I'd still get on a lease if it was exactly what I wanted for the right price.

Comment

I'll throw in my two cents.

We have 120 acres of family land. Pigs...few deer. Enough to take a doe every year....probably a buck every other. Saves money for sure. Mom lives there, so not like coming. Good living conditions! Lol

The bad thing is that I don't have several buddies to meet there....cook together....tell lies around the campfire. There's also no real excitement about seeing that big monster step out. It's more just hunting for the table. Those kind of things are what I miss about the lease.

Comment

My dad owns some land 1 hour from our deer lease. It's the best of both worlds, especially since our lease is MLDP 3. We hunt the lease in October, dad's place in November, then back at the lease December through January. By that point the regulars at the lease have educated the big bucks to their presence so they've moved into the quiet areas where dad and I hunt and are much more relaxed, easier to kill.

We've both thought about giving up the lease but it's just too good to pass up.

Comment

I tend to spend time and money on a place. And I don't have enough of either to do both. But if I did I would.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm 46 and hunted 1200 acres just east of Bronte every since I was 5. My granddad was lease manager, it was distant family land. When he died 5 years ago, I took my inheritance and bought 55 acres in NE Tx...couldn't be happier. Not as many deer, but I spend lots of time out there with my parents and kids. My dads pretty old, but he's more active at the property...he even commented how he feels better at the property. My parents watch my son while I hunt, he's now 5. I started taking him when he was 1. Even my 10 year old princess daughter digs the woods.

I can't live in the woods, gotta live in the metromess for work...but I get out there every chance I get. Wish my wife liked it more, but she lets me go several times a month. At the end of the month, I'm having 10 high school buddies out for a 28 year high school reunion. Try doing that at a lease.

I'm fortunate. Even tho it's only 55 acres, I feel like a king out there.

Comment

nice thread. nothing like coming and going as you please, and inviting only those you want to be around. leases are only as good as the people on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X