No announcement yet.

Those who gave up lease to hunt their own land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owning is so much better. I could care less what class deer is there.

Comment

I went from a lease where each hunter had about 500 acres each to hunt to my own 20 acres. I enjoyed hunting my own place much more since I was able to spend more on feeding the deer more than just corn. I went from having 120" hill country deer to killing mid 130" deer every year. Sadly I sold that place and moved to another place and I am starting all over.

Comment

I bought my own place of 230 acres about 5 yrs ago now in Goliad County. I live on it so I get to hunt it when I want to now. I hunt every chance I get and actually get to spend more time improving the place than hunting it. The amount and quality of deer has increased every year I have owned it which makes it even more enjoyable. I have also had a Mule Deer lease in West Texas for the last 10 yrs now. It is fun but still not the same as owning my own place.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBowhunter11 View Post
          I have never leased, we have some family land about 100 acres. Never killed any giants but we have hogs and deer and I save 2000+ a year. I always look into leases and when it comes time to bite the bullet I just can't do it. I'm a penny pincher though. I enjoy just having somewhere to go and have some fun and watch some wildlife
          Exactly...Me too

Did kill an upper 130's and 150+ tho in 9 years. SO I will take it

Comment

My only regret is now that I have kids, and my oldest will be ready in the next year or two. Going from the Brady area where you would see 15-50 deer + turkey + quail every sit vs. how I grew up in east Texas just hoping to see something a season. I like the challenge and don't miss the expense and headaches but like everyone, I want to see my kids have opportunity at success

Comment

I leased 1400 acres near Ballinger for 18 years, then bought a 217 acre place in Rusk Co. about six years ago. Bigger deer on my East Texas place, but lots less of them. No turkeys, no quail, no doves. I had all that at Ballinger, plus more deer than we could shoot. In fact, we had trouble killing twenty does a year, which was our target number. Some years we made it, most years killed 16/18 before we all had freezers stuffed. I had to invite folks down to kill a few does just to get to that number as there were only four of us hunting on it. No lease drama, as I paid all the lease and nobody hunted except those invited. The individuals changed very little through the 18 years I leased it.

The regrets: Just two. I really miss the spring turkey hunting and I miss the fact that I could bowhunt there easier than here. More deer, and more consistent. Oh, and no frickin hogs ! Had cows though, and they're almost as bad, except for the rooting. One thing I don't miss is the 5.5/6 hour drive on a Friday night just to hunt a day and a piece, then the same drive back home. All in all, I'm glad I bought my place, because I can do whatever I want on it, as opposed to leasing.

Comment

When we moved here I really hoped hope to buy something with enough acres to hunt but I needed to be within commuting distance of the airport (DFW) for my job so we just couldn't seem to make that happen. I would still love to buy some land for hunting vs leasing but not sure if it's in the budget anytime soon. I hunted only 50 acres in Ohio and we killed deer every year, granted we never took any monster bucks. But I don't need thousands of acres to enjoy myself with my bow chasing critters.

Comment

recently purchased my own place.. it's much smaller than my lease, (lease was 1600 acres... my place is 100 acres) but I hope to never pay for a lease again.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter_Man View Post
                    recently purchased my own place.. it's much smaller than my lease, (lease was 1600 acres... my place is 100 acres) but I hope to never pay for a lease again.
                    This..

Comment

I had a friend who let me hunt "for free" for several years and I was happy to help with work around there for him etc. He decided due to a couple lost bow shot deer that he would no longer allow bow hunting, so I bought a tiny little 10 acre place and couldn't be happier.

Comment

Have up lease hunting in 2002 and bought my property in 2003 and have never looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll miss the lease. Love the hill country. And at my age I question if it were worth it but I don't have to deal with any unreasonable or reactionary issues now. But the hunting won't be as good.

Comment

My wife and I bought a place 4 years ago and have no regrets. Not very big but it's river bottom and goes to the river so it's like an oasis for game. We have more axis than whitetail now, as well as pigs and turkey.

Comment

Bought my own place 16 years ago n never looked back

Comment

I own. Have never been on a lease. If I had the money to both lease a big property and own a small one, I don't think that is the route I'd go. My preference would be owning a small property of my own for Texas game and then spending a few grand extra each year on DIY western game hunts.

Comment

Working...
                                X