Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those who gave up lease to hunt their own land

Any regrets?

I would like to hear others experience in how they feel after making the decision to get off their lease or deciding to keep both.

I am talking small parcel ownership compared to leasing larger tracts although any experiences are appreciated.

I have never leased, we have some family land about 100 acres. Never killed any giants but we have hogs and deer and I save 2000+ a year. I always look into leases and when it comes time to bite the bullet I just can't do it. I'm a penny pincher though. I enjoy just having somewhere to go and have some fun and watch some wildlife

Comment

We bought our 1st place about 4 years ago. We had got tired of lease drama /problems. I have to say it is Great having our own place. We originally looked at the Aspermont area to buy. We love the country out there. After sitting down and really thinking it out we knew it would be tough to go as much as we wanted. We average at least 2 trips a month to our place. We love getting out there. Anyways I have kinda been looking for a place to lease or get on in the Aspermont area to see if it is all we want. We have decided that when we retire we are going to buy out there if we like it.I will never be without my own place unless something happens and we can't have it. It is so nice to go to the ranch and not have to worry about what is going to happen next. After dealing with landowners telling us one thing and doing the opposite or dealing with the leases than run with 2 sets of rules or rules changes after getting on it is heaven to own your own hunting land. Good Luck on your decision.
      Last edited by DUKFVR; 03-20-2017, 09:05 AM.

Comment

I own land but if I wasn't so busy I'd get on a lease if I could find a decently priced one. I like seeing game too much at my place to shoot them too much.

Comment

My father and I hunt on a large track of land in South Texas. We have leased this property for 20+ years and have historically shot some solid 150 - 160 class deer. All low fence.

We now have our own property to hunt which is considerably smaller. It is very tempting to give up our lease. The small track of land has the potential to produce very large deer and is a game rich environment (Deer, tons of hogs, turkeys). Last season we shot our biggest deer ever with a bow... Mid 160s deer.

My conclusion: Hunt both and enjoy both if you can afford it. I will continue to stay on my lease because of the price that we pay for the quality of deer we shoot. One day if we loose our lease, I will still be able to hunt because of our own land. If size does not matter for the deer you hunt and money is tight give up the lease and enjoy the hunt on your own land. Nothing is more satisfying than hunting on your own property where you make the rules.

Comment

I just bought my own place. I was tired of leasing after being on two separate leases for only 1 season each. I saw 1 deer on one place and 2 deer on the other all season long. I think I am really going to like owning my own place. I can hunt with my buddies and we all get along great and have a great time vs being subjected to all the lease personalities that you end up with when you lease a spot.

Comment

I have been "lightly" looking for a place to purchase however the max I could afford would be around 200 acres.
              I wonder how it would be going from 1,000 to 5,000 acre leases to 200?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave W View Post
                I have been "lightly" looking for a place to purchase however the max I could afford would be around 200 acres.
                I wonder how it would be going from 1,000 to 5,000 acre leases to 200?
                The last 2 leases I was on were 3000 - 4000 ac. We have 230 acres. Doesn't bother me at all.
                Most leases say you have to hunt your own blind anyways. For me piece of mind is well worth it. For some it won't work downsizing. The thing is you have to look at the other benefits of owning too.

Comment

Live on 114 acres and set to close on the neighbors 85 acres here in the next 2 wks. Love hunting our own land. Saves money for one but there is something special about watching your deer grow and taking a mature buck off your own place. Really nice to come home from work and being only a 5 minute walk away from the blind.

The only hard part is not thinking about the to do list around the house being so close. When you have a lease it's a different environment and to some well worth the money. I'd rather invest the fuel cost, food and equipment into my own place.

Comment

My land is 4 hours and 6.5 hours away respectively in deep east Texas. I will stick with my hill country lease as I know I will see critters.

Comment

I live on 13 acres and gave up a 300 acre place I was leasing. Couldn't see spending $1500 a year for deer no better quality than I see off my own back porch!

Looking for a hill country place just to get away and have numbers and let the kids have numbers to shoot a few doe or see an exotic every once in a while. Other than that I have never regretted getting off the lease.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                        We bought our 1st place about 4 years ago. We had got tired of lease drama /problems. I have to say it is Great having our own place. We originally looked at the Aspermont area to buy. We love the country out there. After sitting down and really thinking it out we knew it would be tough to go as much as we wanted. We average at least 2 trips a month to our place. We love getting out there. Anyways I have kinda been looking for a place to lease or get on in the Aspermont area to see if it is all we want. We have decided that when we retire we are going to buy out there if we like it.I will never be without my own place unless something happens and we can't have it. It is so nice to go to the ranch and not have to worry about what is going to happen next. After dealing with landowners telling us one thing and doing the opposite or dealing with the leases than run with 2 sets of rules or rules changes after getting on it is heaven to own your own hunting land. Good Luck on your decision.
                        Well it is a GREAT 230 acre place!

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                        I own land but if I wasn't so busy I'd get on a lease if I could find a decently priced one. I like seeing game too much at my place to shoot them too much.
                        Yours is a great place too! And I'm like that on my lease...I'd rather watch others shoot. I like growing them.

Comment

Owning, IMO, is so much more rewarding, regardless the size. No worries about getting booted off. Hunt when you want, work when you want, cost so much less in long run. Think of it as an investment and your tax bill is your lease cost. Puts it in a different light. Agree about factoring in the other benefits.

Comment

I have a good piece of hunting land, but I have an inexpensive lease with no drama and a wide variety of south Texas critters. Like others have said,
                            I would rather watch my bucks all year rather than kill them. So the family and I hunt seriously on a lease and just shoot hogs & coyotes at the farm.
                            Yes, I am blessed and have few other vices now.

Comment

Up until last year I had hunted family land in east Texas. It's low key and its family, so it's nice. We can do whatever we want when we want to do it. The freedom is outstanding. However, I got tired of neighbors killing deer year round and pretty much acting ugly. So I got on a lease for the first time that is located out in the hill country. It's been a great experience. I landed with a fantastic group people and that makes it all well worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X