Pawn Shop Find 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pawn Shop Find 2.0

'Picked up another old single shot 22 today. I might have a problem... or new hobby.

This one isn't quite as old as the last one, and didnt really need fixing, but it looked UGLY to me as the current finish had bumps and bubbles. I intended to stain it fairly dark, but after I got it stripped, I realized I didnt have any chemically appropriate stain, so she will remain a dirty blonde.

Meet "Blondie", a OF Mossberg and Sons model 320KA. She came topped with an age appropriate little 4x32, and a quick positive function test proved she was worthy of a little makeover.

Sanded progressively down to 400, and have one coat on for the night of Tru Oil with extra linseed cut in.

The barreled action is in fantastic shape, though a wierd design and a pain to fully break down for deep cleaning.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nice!

Comment

Well, there is nothing wrong with a blonde stock. It really looks good.
      However, if you want to stain a "hardwood" stock to a darker brown, such as a chestnut brown, you should use aquafortis rather than a commercial water or oil stain.
      Aquafortis is an acid (I think nitric with iron filings in it). It works very good on maple, birch, or most of the other hardwoods that end up as gunstocks.
      To use aquafortis, you remove the finish to bare wood, apply the solution (remember that it is an acid). It will likely start turning the color green. Then you heat it over the stove, paying attention to the color. Stop the heat when it reaches the desired color.
      After cooling, neutralize the acid. I think I used to use a baking soda and water solution.
      Then finish sand and apply you desired finish.
      I have turned some really bland looking hardwood stocks into some real good looking pieces using aquafortis. I also used it on some nice maple and walnut stocks on muzzleloaders.

Comment

There are some you tube videos that show you how to do it. I also saw where you can make your own by dissolving 0 steel wool in white vinegar.

Comment

I shouldn't have opened this thread...I found myself once already this past week at a Pawn shop...

Comment

'Had to move the drying area indoors, because the garage was getting too dusty with people opening it all day.

The color is a little splotchy. I guess I didnt get it properly stripped. Oh well. That is the idea of these. Small little projects to dabble and learn.

Comment

I am really enjoying watching your process and learning along with you. Thanks for sharing. I have a 1960's Remington 700 that I got from my dad that needs a good overhaul but I havent ever been brave enough to break it down and re-do it. I may give it a shot after the season.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                I am really enjoying watching your process and learning along with you. Thanks for sharing. I have a 1960's Remington 700 that I got from my dad that needs a good overhaul but I havent ever been brave enough to break it down and re-do it. I may give it a shot after the season.
                If it doesn't have any checkering or carving, its pretty easy. The hardest part for me is the patience to wait between coats. I actually enjoy all the hand sanding and prep.

The first one I did was a 70's 10/22 that I had spray painted as a kid. Got it sanded down beautifully, and then used the air compressor to blow all the little fine saw dust out of the pores. Would have turned out even prettier if I hadnt done that. Tru Oil is pretty forgiving and easy to work with.

Comment

Grrr...

The splotches weren't magically going away on their own, no matter how hard I crossed my fingers. I was also struggling to accept the light color. When I asked my wife what she thought of the color, she said "it looks like a kid's gun, but a really pretty kids gun".

That was the camel that broke the back's straw. [emoji6]

Here we go again. How long would you guess it takes to hand sand off 8ish coats of Tru Oil? Nope, it takes longer than that!

Comment

I hate it when stuff like that happens. Least you can get a "re-do".

Comment

I guess I'll have to rename her from "Blondie" to "The Frustrating One".

Its still splotchy, but I got the color where I like it, and was able to blend out the harsh lines of the color variance after a lot of rubbing.

Starting the oil finish now

Comment

I gave up on fighting the blotches, and rattle-canned the darn thing with the sandy textured stuff.

It isn't collectable. It isn't valuable. Though, I still had a hard time pressing the button on the spray primer can.

Going to let it sit for a few days before cranking that take-down screw. I did mock it up after the paint was hard enough to handle, to see if I needed to remove the sand texture out of the barrel channel. I did...

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Awesome. Try a wood conditioner before staining the next one (if you go with a stain).

Comment

These have turned out pretty sweet. My brother often browses the pawns looking for guns that are beat up. He buys and refinishes the stocks and then sales them.

Comment

Working...
                              X