No announcement yet.

Official Lake Whintney and Aquilla 2016-2017 hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was doing a little research today for an escalation contact for the Lake Lavon park issue, and ran across the below. Looking at raising the Aquilla level with a bunch of appropriated $ to redo some of the access facilities:

"Aquilla- The recommended plan is to increase the top of conservation pool by 4.5 feet. Based on the USACE critical period yield simulations, the estimated increase in yield with this reallocation is 2,463 AF per year. Three scales of reallocation were evaluated, none of which provide sufficient supply to fully meet the projected need as a standalone project. Based on an incremental cost analysis, the 4.5-foot pool raise was determined to maximize the yield at the lowest marginal cost."

Comment

Link-

FORT WORTH, Texas – Fort Worth District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers representatives announced today the Draft Reallocation Report with Integrated Environmental Assessment and Draft Finding of No

Comment

A guy that hunts in my area talked to a engineer during the season and that's what he said, they were talking about raising the level.

Comment

If ACE raised the normal level up 4.5 feet, I think a good bit of A2, and A1, would be lost. A6 (a lot of Hackberry Park) and a good bit of A8 would be lost also. I guess the Cleburne water supply is not adequate for that growing region. Hence the pipe line to refill Lake Pat. Much like Richland Chambers is doing with Benbrook, where Lake Benbrook supplies a lot of the city of Ft. Worth with immediate water needs.
          Course it is only one of 3 levels studied. The other two being 2.5 feet and 6.5 feet. At 6.5 feet, I don't think Aquilla would have much of a flood plane left before spilling over onto private property. That is, unless there were some eminent domain to take place to create such a flood plane.

The other option, building a pipe line to tie into the Aquilla/Cleburne supply line, wouldn't be a bad idea. Water could be pumped to either Aquilla or Lake Pat Cleburne from Lake Whitney. If Cleburne floods, the water from Cleburne would just run back down the Nolan River to Lake Whitney to be stored for future use. In the long run, that would be even cheaper to store or meet water supply needs. Plus create a few jobs for the area/region.

Raising the Aquilla lake level would be the cheapest route. But only a temporary fix to long term needs. If this happens, there will be some hunting ground for some lost also, if that matters to anyone. I do see the bigger picture outside of hunting. And understand the Water supply needs for the state of Texas. So if that is what they do, that is what they do. It might make the crappie and blue cat fishing better though. And maybe a bit more room for/and better duck hunting for a little while.

Comment

It would probably make more room for the fishing, and maybe put the numerous stumps lower than your lower unit. Except now you can't see the stump fields, so those that don't know- go running on plane.

Comment

Absolutely Razorback. Some of the stump fields, like the one east of the Hackbury Creek Park boat ramp, would be under far enough that you wouldn't have to worry about them any more at +4.5 feet. And a lot would be lost at 2.5 feet too. But with flooding, new ones will emerge as well in the newly flooded areas where timber now stands. And I do agree with the fishing part too. Hence my reference to the crappie and bluecats .
              On Aquilla Creek basin sub surface the lake (west side), south of the bridge going toward the lake, and north of Turkey Island, would be easier going some what. But as tall as some of the stick-ups are, there would be newly created sub surface hazards in the newly created deeper water as well. North of the bridge how ever, would be much easier going for sure, till you got to the back where the creek feeds the current level of the lake. I'm sure there would be some drift deposits in the area. But being loose debris, they would eventually erode for the most part.

Comment

Yep TG, old hazards would be gone, and new hazards would be unseen. The unbeknownst would run through them on pad, not knowing what was underneath. And I'll admit, I was one of those several years ago.

Comment

TG, 2017-2018 thread? This one is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                    I think everyone went on vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                      You must be getting antsy for the season to start . Only dead cause nobody has been posting . I do try to, ...most of the time.

The new thread has always been started in August, the day of or after the Cleburne pre season Get-2-gether. A person has been selected for the new thread. And lurks here on a regular basis. And occasionally post as well.

With that being said, I'll be hosting the 11th Annual Cleburne Get-2-Gether August 5th 2017 at:
                      The West End Grill
                      1629 W. Henderson St.
                      Cleburne, Texas

That is the same place as last year. I should be there around noonish, although that could change to a later time in the afternoon or evening. I'll start a formal thread in The Campfire. And also post a link here to the thread.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!
                      Last edited by Texas Grown; 07-26-2017, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                        You must be getting antsy for the season to start . Only dead cause nobody has been posting . I do try to, ...most of the time.

The new thread has always been started in August, the day of or after the Cleburne pre season Get-2-gether. A person has been selected for the new thread. And lurks here on a regular basis. And occasionally post as well.

With that being said, I'll be hosting the 11th Annual Cleburne Get-2-Gether August 5th 2017 at:
                        The West End Grill
                        1629 W. Henderson St.
                        Cleburne, Texas

That is the same place as last year. I should be there around noonish, although that could change to a later time in the afternoon or evening. I'll start a formal thread in The Campfire. And also post a link here to the thread.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!
                        I'm in!

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
                          I'm in!
                          Me too. Or is that "me two?"

Comment

Click the green link >>-----> for: The 11th Annual Cleburne Pre-Season Get-2-Gether.

Comment

Page 35, this page, could possibly be the last page of this thread. With tomorrow's Get-2-Gether, a new thread for 2017-2018 will be started. Get in here and post while you can.

W lake is currently sitting at 2.75 feet below normal.

A lake is currently sitting at .28 feet above normal.

Comment

The end is only the beginning...

Comment

Working...
                                X