2018/19 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trophyhunter01 View Post
    The bucks don't have food on their mind they are off running and does are scared to come in. I think it is on but makes it harder to hunt.

I agree with your statement about the bucks starting to run or 'prepping'. From just by looking through my camera last Thursday, the last picture I had bucks hanging together was 9/21/18. I've only had two pictures of bigger bucks on my camera from that date till 10/4/18 besides a spike. Other than that I'm covered in does at all times day and night.

Comment

Originally posted by dataxman View Post
      My pics are showing swollen necks and there aren’t any bachelor groups left. Scrapes and licking branches hit hard, anyone tried rattling yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m gonna try some rattling and grunting this weekend in the DC. Figure it can’t hurt

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
        I’m gonna try some rattling and grunting this weekend in the DC. Figure it can’t hurt

Be sure you got your orange on!!! Don't want nobody gettin' off a few "sound shots"...

Comment

Originally posted by dataxman View Post
          My pics are showing swollen necks and there aren’t any bachelor groups left. Scrapes and licking branches hit hard, anyone tried rattling yet?

These two bucks are still running together. I have pics from August till present of them together. You see one on camera, you see the other. I had them in front of me at the feeder on the 2nd but the big guy wouldn't offer me a decent shot.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            Be sure you got your orange on!!! Don't want nobody gettin' off a few "sound shots"...

Haha well I’ll be up a tree but hopefully nobody even gets near me!🤣 I bow hunted opening weekend out there and there was traffic but it wasn’t near as bad as opening rifle

Comment

Originally posted by Katch66 View Post
              These two bucks are still running together. I have pics from August till present of them together. You see one on camera, you see the other. I had them in front of me at the feeder on the 2nd but the big guy wouldn't offer me a decent shot.

Forest horses

Comment

Originally posted by Katch66 View Post
                It would be hard for me to not shoot the "smaller one"

Comment

I am running 2 feeders on 37 acres in Harrison County. All I put out is corn. Lots of leases surround me. I just feed corn because it is cheaper than all the other stuff on the market. Will corn work for hunters in my situation or do I need a little something extra? I know a lot of people use corn and deer get smart after being shot at over corn. Is there anything cheap a person can do to have a little more attraction for the deer? Thanks for any advice.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                    I am running 2 feeders on 37 acres in Harrison County. All I put out is corn. Lots of leases surround me. I just feed corn because it is cheaper than all the other stuff on the market. Will corn work for hunters in my situation or do I need a little something extra? I know a lot of people use corn and deer get smart after being shot at over corn. Is there anything cheap a person can do to have a little more attraction for the deer? Thanks for any advice.
                    Rice Bran seems to be the trick for my deer in my area. They'll eat the corn but will stay over the pile of rice bran I would put out next to the feeder as well. I've had bucks fighting right above the Rice Bran for two years now. Normally cost around 10-12$ for a 50lb bag. If I'm up there for a couple of days I would normally just dump about 1/4 of the bag per day depending on how hard they're hitting it. Also, I just bought some 'Bait Corn' just last week and put some of that out and see what kind of action I get with the camera. Won't know the outcome of it till next Friday morning. Cost of it was $8.49 for a 40lb bag.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexas88 View Post
                      Rice Bran seems to be the trick for my deer in my area. They'll eat the corn but will stay over the pile of rice bran I would put out next to the feeder as well. I've had bucks fighting right above the Rice Bran for two years now. Normally cost around 10-12$ for a 50lb bag. If I'm up there for a couple of days I would normally just dump about 1/4 of the bag per day depending on how hard they're hitting it. Also, I just bought some 'Bait Corn' just last week and put some of that out and see what kind of action I get with the camera. Won't know the outcome of it till next Friday morning. Cost of it was $8.49 for a 40lb bag.
                      What is "bait corn"?

Comment

Army worms ate all 9 acres of buck forage oats. Man this is the first time in 25 years.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexas88 View Post
                          Mildew seems to be a problem for me. Once it starts to mildew they won't come near it. How do you avoid that?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post

I’d try some throw and grow. Leave your areas alone as much as possible until you’re ready to hunt. Check cameras when you in to hunt

Comment

pour a little vanilla in your corn feeder when you put the corn in... works pretty good for me...

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                                What is "bait corn"?
                                Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
                                Mildew seems to be a problem for me. Once it starts to mildew they won't come near it. How do you avoid that?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah this year was my first time hearing about the 'Bait Corn' as well and was told its been around a while HA. Look it up, The Bait Corn Company. They have a variety of flavors such as persimmon, vanilla, peanut butter, red apple, green apple, and white acorn. Was told to use it as your HAND CORN so I bought some at a feed store that's in route going to my lease last week and put some out to see what happens. I bought the persimmon and it smelt really sweet. Made me wanna grab a handful myself HA.

Over the years of me pouring it out during late July thru mid September they would literally knock out a 50lb bag within a week. Now closer to October they wont hit it as hard but yet still come to it at times before they start on the corn. That's when I dump just a little out at a time. When its heavy rains it does make a mess and hardens up but I learned my lesson closer to hunting season not to dump out as much to keep it from getting ruined before they clean it out. There is such a thing as the 'Rice Bran Bag' which is kind of setup like a Pipe feeder which I will buy soon so that I can dump a whole bag during the season and not worry about the dew or weather itself if comes to pouring rain.

Comment

Working...
                                X