No announcement yet.

Legal question: Is it legal to shoot your bow within the city limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check the city to see if there is a law against shooting a projectile. That's how they usually include archery equipment in the law.

Comment

I do it beside my house,stand on sidewalk for 18 yards,in street for 20 and middle of street for 25,standing on sidewalk across street(school sidewalk) for 30! Never had any problem...yet!

Comment

Originally posted by RLoving1 View Post
        I do it beside my house,stand on sidewalk for 18 yards,in street for 20 and middle of street for 25,standing on sidewalk across street(school sidewalk) for 30! Never had any problem...yet!
        I do something similar to this. In the driveway for 20-30. In the street for 40. I live in a neighborhood smack-dab in the middle of Houston and thought I might have some issues with the people on either side of me. They were really cool about it surprisingly. Nobody seems to care as long as they can tell that you know what you are doing.

Comment

I live in Saginaw, just north of Ft. Worth and it is not legal here. I looked it up in the city ordinances and they specifically put in Archery equipment as well as BB guns, so it is a no go here.

Comment

Originally posted by thebowhunters View Post
            I'm in Williamson co., city of Austin, so I called the Sheriffs office and he was not completely sure so he asked his supper and called me back that it was ok to discharge a bow but you are 100% responsible for the projectile.
            I think if you are inside the Austin city limits APD would have jurisdiction, even if you are also in Williamson Co.

Comment

no one cares in porter, montgomery county. i shoot it my own yard.

Comment

It would be found in the city ordinace. Not the penal code. If it states you cannot discharge a weapon you can not shoot your bow. If it says firearm you are ok. Unless they get a complaint.

Comment

Just keep it discrete and there shouldn't be a problem. Gives you a new reason to make your bow as quiet as possible

Comment

Where are you looking? If your local Po-Po said, "no, no" I would probably not give them the opportunity. It only took one dumb archer in my town to have an ordinance written and passed through city council about 2 years ago. A neighbor behind him asked stated, "I don't mind you shooting, just please don't do it when my kids are in the back yard." Which the so called archer promptly replied, "my backyard, I can do whatever I want!"

Comment

Even if you find the law is ambiguous, and the police don't really care, I'd be concerned about what the neighbors think. I do shoot at 15 yds. in my backyard with a really solid backstop and 8-ft. fencing. I never shoot when I can hear people in their backyard in the direction I shoot. No problems for two years now.

But if the backyard neighbor ever expressed concern, I think I'd like to show her my set-up, and have her watch me shoot before doing anything else (roughly 12,000 arrows so far, never having missed the cardboard, much less the butt). But if she were still adamant, I'd likely stop. No point in inviting a lawsuit or having neighborhood discord.

Comment

Each city is different. Even if you discover that it is allowed try to be discreet about it. What your neighbor doesn't know doesn't hurt him. I shoot in my backyard but honestly would be a little nervous if I found out that my neighbor was doing it. It's kinda like driving a little fast or in poor road conditions. It's a lot easier to be comfortable with it when you are the one behind the wheel. Make sure you have a good backstop such as a storage shed or something else large and solid.

Comment

[ATTACH]152246[/ATTACH]

Comment

stay inside my privacy fence. Can get out to 30 and 40 if I shoot at an angle. Haven't had a problem but don't know if it is illegal.

Comment

both my neighbors are hunters. no problem here. i make sure no kids are out though. and i shoot at an angle so if i miss its not goin in their yard. i have a drainage ditch behind me with no houses.

Comment

Thanks guys for the great input on this question.

I have got a good wooden fence in the backyard and will look into a better backstop situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X