Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever had your debit card hacked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JBizkit View Post
    Man. This is insane. I knew it happened but not to this extent.

So what is the deal with the skimmer? Is there a way to tell if it's on the machine? Is this most likely how it happened? Like i said the guys at work keep saying it's because I don't have an iPhone anymore but i dont know how true that is.
    It ain't you phone brand or model. Doesn't make a bit of difference.

Comment

Yrs it sucked they had my pin and everythi g

Comment

Go with a bank that sends an automatic text to your cell phone every time it is used. Might cost a few dollars a month but well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
          Chase called me about 5 years ago and asked, did you just purchase as airline ticket at London Hearthrow airport for $945?

Nope.

They canceled my account immediately (naturally) and sent me a new card about three days later. I got a temporary card from the local branch a few minutes after I got the call.

One other time about a year ago, I caught the hack about 15 minutes after it happened. I had put a check in my account online and was looking to see if it cleared and noticed a charge for a couple of hundred dollars that I didn’t make.

Then I signed up for automatic notifications so any time my card is used or any other transaction on my account, I get a text message.

Our chase cards do this for every transaction over $5, plus I check regularly on the app. Even this isn’t fool proof as we have still been hit but chase catches them quick and shuts it down. Amex sends emails that are linked to phone.

Comment

Have you ever had your debit card hacked?

I got off the plane in Anchorage Alaska and tried to buy a beer at the airport. Somebody had hacked my debit card and spent $5,000 off the coast of Italy. I looked up the places they went and they were not slumming it. I had to go to a bank in anchorage and get it resolved before flying into the bush for 10 days. Great way to start a hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, using paypal and they got hacked.

Comment

Originally posted by DWA View Post
                Yrs it sucked they had my pin and everythi g
                I don't know how it happened, but apparently my bank seems to think they actually made a duplicate of my card. They were using it at retail stores in the Houston area. Went to the Willowbrook mall shopping, then the movies. A bar and grill called the Hut in Houston, a sandwich shop called the Wrap, and several transactions at QMart in Houston. It just blows my mind........

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                Go with a bank that sends an automatic text to your cell phone every time it is used. Might cost a few dollars a month but well worth it.
                I'll definitely have to look into this. Would be well worth it no matter what it cost. I bank with Prosperity and they have been really helpful both times. Apparently they have been seeing this more and more lately. They found a skimmer on the ATM machine at the Valero in New Waverly! Seriously?! New Waverly!!!!! We only have 1 stop light!!!!!!!

Comment

got mine once, figured they lifted info when I used it once, even though rarely use it.
                  then found out they got my brothers the same week (maybe even same day). both of us use the same credit union, but live in different cities. only thing that would make sense was the numbers getting lifted from the credit union.

Comment

Everytime mine gets hacked they see my balance and feel sorry for me. A few of them even deposit a little so I don't go under.

Comment

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post
                      Everytime mine gets hacked they see my balance and feel sorry for me. A few of them even deposit a little so I don't go under.
                      Lmao! That's hilarious!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post

Man I hate to laugh but that's funny!

Thank you. I needed that right now......

Comment

Fooled by random... This is a random thing but the only thing you can link it to is the phone. I've had this happen to me a hand full of times and every time its linked back to the processing centers that our bank uses.
                          We are fortunate that our bank is quick about putting the money back in our account while the details are worked out.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Comment

Somebody bought $100 worth of gas with mine in Michigan a couple of months ago. Bank put it back in my account within a couple of days. Just a pain being without a debit card for a week waiting on a new one after that one was cancelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been hoping someone would hack my wife's card. I'd bet a dollar to a donut that they'd spend less than she does.

Comment

I guess no one reads.... the type of phone doesn't matter. Your co-workers are full of it.

If it happened to both you and your wife recently there is probably a skimmer somewhere you both shop/make purchases.

Comment

Working...
                                X