Different draw lengths different bows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does a draw length for an individual cross for every bow? Meaning is proper draw length fitment universal once determined?

Originally posted by bcj jones View Post
    Does a draw length for an individual cross for every bow? Meaning is proper draw length fitment universal once determined?

Not really.... Some bows like Elites run pretty true to their specified draw length, other bows like many in the Mathews line up tend to run a little long. Case in point I shoot 28” mods on my e35 and when I had my Switchback I ran a 27.5” cam on it. With the 27.5” cam the bow measured out to almost 28” on the draw board so it allowed my anchor to remain the same. With a little research you can find out the measured draw length tendencies of most Bow’s out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you mean: does every company have the same “28” draw length”..... he!! No.

In the chase for speed everything is exaggerated to the limits and beyond. In the good ol days I believe AMO held everyone to a standard of -/+ 1/4”..... now. 1/2+ is not uncommon from factory (that’s a free 5 FPS to most that don’t check)

For example: I know LOTS of 28” shooters of other bows that shoot 27 1/2” in a Mathews. And all seem to be 1/4” long min.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
        Not really.... Some bows like Elites run pretty true to their specified draw length, other bows like many in the Mathews line up tend to run a little long. Case in point I shoot 28” mods on my e35 and when I had my Switchback I ran a 27.5” cam on it. With the 27.5” cam the bow measured out to almost 28” on the draw board so it allowed my anchor to remain the same. With a little research you can find out the measured draw length tendencies of most Bow’s out there.

Weird.....Just the opposite for me. I measure as a 29" on my 2011 Pulse and my new Traverse was a 28.5".

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        For example: I know LOTS of 28” shooters of other bows that shoot 27 1/2” in a Mathews.

I was 1/2" shorter on a Mathews as well.

Comment

Those that were a 1/2 “ shorter in the Mathews were all probably single cam bows ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
            Those that were a 1/2 “ shorter in the Mathews were all probably single cam bows ?

No.....Mathews Traverse is my new one ....original was a Drenalin.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              Weird.....Just the opposite for me. I measure as a 29" on my 2011 Pulse and my new Traverse was a 28.5".

A lot of it depends on how much preload you have on the bow at brace. Bows coming in heavy can certainly run out a little bit. My Outback, z7x and Switchback all ran a little long with the bow hitting 1-2#’s over peak weight and the cam in the proper staring rotation. A lot of those Kevin Strother designed bows usually came in a little hot which could lengthen the draw length if the string isn’t taken up accordingly.

Comment

That would be a starting point, get yourself measured. Once you purchase the bow, the authorized dealers are more than happy to swap out the right size cam attachment for your "actual comfortable size" for free.

Comment

I’m thinking both of these guys are saying the same thing. If you have a 29” dL, and the elite fits you with a 29” dL mod, the dL on that bow is right. If you have to shoot a 28.5 dL mod on the Mathews to fit your 29” dL, the Mathews is 1/2” long.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                    I’m thinking both of these guys are saying the same thing. If you have a 29” dL, and the elite fits you with a 29” dL mod, the dL on that bow is right. If you have to shoot a 28.5 dL mod on the Mathews to fit your 29” dL, the Mathews is 1/2” long.

Seems backwards but if that's how you techies say it, I'll roll with it.

Problem is....deciding which one is right?.. Is the Elite short or the Mathews long. I started with a Mathews at 28.5, moved to Elite at 29 and back to Mathews at 28.5. In that sequence the Elite would be short..

Comment

Problem is....deciding which one is right?.. Is the Elite short or the Mathews long. I started with a Mathews at 28.5, moved to Elite at 29 and back to Mathews at 28.5. In that sequence the Elite would be short..
                      I don't think the Elite is "short". When set-up properly most Elites hit right at the published draw length of the module on a draw board, true measured draw length. I shoot 28" mods on my 35 but when I had my Switchback it would actually measure closer to 28" true draw length on the board even though the cam was a 27.5". Long or Short is strictly based on the published draw length against an actual measurement at full draw. How the bow fits you is another topic all together.

Does that make sense?

Comment

The one that is right, is the one that matches your measured DL. If you measured and comfortable DL is 29, but you have to shoot a 28.5 in a particular bow to aquire your comfortable 29” DL, then that bow is probably pulling 1/2” long. Not uncommon. Some manufacturers use a draw board to measure DL, and with cable stops, as soon as they touch, that’s where they take the measurement, but, drawn by hand, it is usually longer.

Comment

So I shoot a 28" Mathews, with a loop, which comes to 28.5"which means my draw is actually 29" ?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                            So I shoot a 28" Mathews, with a loop, which comes to 28.5"which means my draw is actually 29" ?
                            No, the D-loop is not part of the draw length of the bow.
                            Total Draw length can be broken down into three parts:
                            1) Draw length of the bow (measured draw length)
                            2) D-loop length
                            3) Release length
                            Both 2 and 3 are related to anchor point and not measured draw length, but are a part of total (or over all) draw length.

If you have a your bow set at the manufacturer's draw length of 28" and you draw it on a draw board and it measures 28.5" it is a long draw bow. IOW, it is drawing 1/2" longer than what the module says it should be drawing.

People get twisted up about this, but it really doesn't matter to the shooter; if the draw length fits it doesn't matter what "setting" it is on.

It does matter before you buy though. If you know a bow company runs long, like Mathews, then you know to get the Module that is shorter so it will end up where you need it.

Draw length will not change for an adult (for the most part) once the correct draw length is found. Regardless of what the "Setting" is, the measured draw length is what you need to use to set up the bow.

Comment

Good info. Thanx

Comment

Working...
                              X