No announcement yet.

Hilltop Lakes 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well after another 2 hours of hard work the feeder is up and running with 300lbs of corn. My perch will be about 10 feet above where the camera was for this pic. I will probably do some more thinning each trip because I'm only using a very small portion of my lot.

Thanks to Scott Key for helping me haul corn and Scott Barnett for hooking me up with tags and key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good deal! You are ready to go now

Life is too short, live it to its fullest!

~Michael

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
        Well after another 2 hours of hard work the feeder is up and running with 300lbs of corn. My perch will be about 10 feet above where the camera was for this pic. I will probably do some more thinning each trip because I'm only using a very small portion of my lot.

Thanks to Scott Key for helping me haul corn and Scott Barnett for hooking me up with tags and key.

Looks a lot like my lot.... THICK!

Congrats on getting setup. Another stop on the corn route added at the Hill.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
          Looks a lot like my lot.... THICK!

Congrats on getting setup. Another stop on the corn route added at the Hill.
          Yeah, it's thick for people but no problem for hogs I'm sure. I do wonder about deer however. Next step is finding the owners of the adjoining lots, in particular the one behind me. Ideally I'd like to buy that one so I can cut a path from that road all the way through to mine. Heck, if I can't buy it maybe the owner will at least give me permission to do the clearing. Can't imagine why anyone would say no to that.

Comment

What are you guys using for stands? Initally I was just planning to go buy a 15' ladder stand but I'm kind of tempted to build myself a platform with some redneck steps. I have two oaks very strait and tall about 5' apart. I could envision something spanning between them.

Comment

15' stand for me. 12 yards from feeder. Spent $50.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                What are you guys using for stands? Initally I was just planning to go buy a 15' ladder stand but I'm kind of tempted to build myself a platform with some redneck steps. I have two oaks very strait and tall about 5' apart. I could envision something spanning between them.

A condo

~Michael

Comment

I have a tree stand and a couple of tripods but I'm planning on building a nice 6x6 box blind this summer

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

If anyone needs one, I have an extra 17' (?) single I'll make a great deal on.

~Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                      If anyone needs one, I have an extra 17' (?) single I'll make a great deal on.

~Michael

That's me. I will msg you.

Comment

Well, lesson learned. I lost the wing nuts that I needed to attach my varmit cage when I set the feeder up. Instead of driving to town to try and find some replacements, I just took the chance on running without it for a couple of weeks. Dang corn thieves got me. My feeder unit was hanging by one ear. They actually spun the other two nuts completely off so the thing was dangling. I'd say there was over 200lbs of corn in a pile under the feeder.

Wife was with me and after I got the timer/motor bolted back on and the varmit cage bolted on and wrenched down super tight, we used an old soft side cooler and scooped up the majority of the corn. I ended up with a half full barrel still a whole bunch on the ground.

I guess on the bright side, there is deer and hog droppings on the ground as well as obvious trails leading in so I know they have been there. That pile of corn could not have been on the ground very long.

Comment

Ouch... that hurts. Get working on making a coon skin cap

Comment

When are you planning on going up next TexaRican? I can always put the stand in the connex box with your name/hunter number on it?

~Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                              When are you planning on going up next TexaRican? I can always put the stand in the connex box with your name/hunter number on it?

~Michael
                              Thanks Brazos. My next visit will be at the July meeting.

Comment

I just scanned my most recent Hilltop for sale list for another TBHer. Figured since I have it in pdf might as well offer it up here too. It's dated 5-2-16. PM me an email if you want it.

Comment

Working...
                                X