6.5 Grendel Upper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
    I will. But my brother who also is waiting on his wont. What ammo is that with?
    Hornady Black 123gr ELD-M

The Berger that mike posted did not agree with my rifle.

Comment

This is for the Berger 130 Hybrid and works in my rifles for the 129gr LRAB, Use standard caution of start below and workup in your rifles as we are all responsible for our own actions

I am not running Leverevolution but know quite a few are . I tried CFE 223 in Lapua brass in my boltaction first and got in the low 20s ES don't remember SD for those loads in the boltaction, got to 30.9 with CCI 400 primer and one round had a little sticky bolt lift at 30.9 on a 103 degree day. 30.6 grains of CFE223 gas been safe in my and others Boltactions and gassers. but work up to it in your rifle if at all.

In the Howa Mini with its longer action there are guys getting more out of it since hey an seat to 2.3 inches or a little more with that bullet.
      Last edited by kmon; 12-13-2017, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Can we hear some reviews on complete uppers? Grendelhunter and Bear Creek Arsenal look to be in my price range, but I would like to hear input from TBH’ers that have shot these before I order.

Comment

Originally posted by Forester View Post
          Can we hear some reviews on complete uppers? Grendelhunter and Bear Creek Arsenal look to be in my price range, but I would like to hear input from TBH’ers that have shot these before I order.
          No experience with those two personally but see better reviews on the Grendelhunter than BCA on the Grendel forum. Radical is another lower price lower but it gets mixed reviews. I think on the budget uppers it can be hit or miss, sometimes the miss ones can be improved with a little work like bedding the barrel to the receiver with blue Loctite.

Comment

Originally posted by Forester View Post
            Can we hear some reviews on complete uppers?
            I couldn't be happier with the performance of the LaRue.

Comment

Bear Creek Arsenal is what I bought. Shot it last weekend very accurate; very happy for the price $299 plus tax. SS 18" barrel complete upper

Comment

I havnt gotten to set down a shoot a proper group with my Grendel Hunter upper yet. After I got it sighted in I handed it to a friend of mine and she shot a little over an inch on 3. That was off a table and a corn sack. Everything else about it has been more than satisfactory though. I'm confident it will shoot under an inch off a bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats sounds like you got a good one, from what I have read there are mixed reviews on the BCA uppers some very good and a couple not so much. Welcome to the Grendel world it is a fun little cartridge that does a lot more than what its size might indicate.

If you reload there are a couple of handbooks for it at http://www.ar15buildbox.com/ the second one is geared more towards hunting.

Comment

6.5 Grendel Upper

Anyone reload the 143 gr Hornady ELD-X? How does it perform on hogs and whitetail?

I’ve used that in my .260 Rem but only killed a coyote with it. And don’t really remember what the damage looked like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post
                      Anyone reload the 143 gr Hornady ELD-X? How does it perform on hogs and whitetail?

I’ve used that in my .260 Rem but only killed a coyote with it. And don’t really remember what the damage looked like it.

It would be a poor performer in the Grendel. It’s too long and will eat up too much powder capacity. You would be lucky to get 2300fps out of it and that leaves very little room before you fall below the expansion threshold.

Hopefully Hornady will release a 120-130 class ELDX for the Grendel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        It would be a poor performer in the Grendel. It’s too long and will eat up too much powder capacity. You would be lucky to get 2300fps out of it and that leaves very little room before you fall below the expansion threshold.

Or a 110gr.

I really feel the 110 would be the sweet spot in the Grendel.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

Hornady black with the 123 ELDM has worked great for me

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                            Congrats sounds like you got a good one, from what I have read there are mixed reviews on the BCA uppers some very good and a couple not so much. Welcome to the Grendel world it is a fun little cartridge that does a lot more than what its size might indicate.

If you reload there are a couple of handbooks for it at http://www.ar15buildbox.com/ the second one is geared more towards hunting.
                            Yea for the price it was great. After sighting it in, 3 shot group was about .85" to .95 using a pocket tape at 100 meters. I was surprised to say the least. I was using Hornady Black 123 gr. I haven't even shot any other loads through it or bought dies to reload.

I think it will be a great deer and hog gun out of the ar-15 platform. Recoil was very light also.

Comment

I have a Grendel hunter upper, with 18" barrel, I bought in August. Sub moa, two deer, three hogs, one fox all drt. 123 gr Hornady sst. Very happy with the function and feel of this upper.

Comment

Working...
                              X