Rifle build questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rifle build questions

I am going to start piecing together everything for a new rifle build. I was planning on using a remington 700 long action from an existing rifle I have.

I am planning on going with that action, lilja barrel, and the below stock from manners. I am just going to use a factory contour barrel.

What are realistic gains from a custom action? Am I going to regret staying with a remington action?

Barrel Contour Data Types of Contours: | Straight Tapers l Palma Contours l Rimfire Contours l Octagon Special Straight Tapers l Factory Contours l 15″ Long XP-100 Type l AR-Type Barrels For our special contour policy – Click Here Contoured Barrels: Lilja Contour Number A B C D E F Approx. Weight at “F” Length in... View Article

Last edited by kyle1974; 12-07-2017, 10:47 PM.

With the custom action you will have generally a smoother bolt cycle with less slop that is already blueprinted reducing gunsmithing cost. If i were building one mow it would have a Curtis or Borden action

Comment

The custom action will hold its value substantially vs a trued 700...no doubt they also work the bolt slicker so to speak along with the groovy vibe brought to the table. Still, I don't think I've ever had to take a follow up shot on my 700 280ai in over 20yrs so working the gun on a big game gun doesn't mean much for what has been a single shot really. A 700 can be every bit as accurate as a custom by the right smith, so you just have to balance $$$ available to spend on the build vs the $$$ you may want to recover later. I guess my 700 280 might be worth $1k to the right person if I put it on the market and have more in it even as old as it is, but would not sell for double.

Having said that, my next rig will be a custom action / non 700 varmint build of sorts to appreciate working the gun for that application & better long term value if i ever decide to do such.

Comment

Kyle I had an old Remmy action that I used, had it trued, and put a Lilja 3groove barrel on it. It shoots lights out! I have no regret. I sent it to Cajun Blake and he had his smith in Independence, La do all the work, chamber, crown, cut, glass and pillar bed it, and I put on the trigger, as I didn't see paying a smith to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
          The custom action will hold its value substantially vs a trued 700...no doubt they also work the bolt slicker so to speak along with the groovy vibe brought to the table. Still, I don't think I've ever had to take a follow up shot on my 700 280ai in over 20yrs so working the gun on a big game gun doesn't mean much for what has been a single shot really. A 700 can be every bit as accurate as a custom by the right smith, so you just have to balance $$$ available to spend on the build vs the $$$ you may want to recover later. I guess my 700 280 might be worth $1k to the right person if I put it on the market and have more in it even as old as it is, but would not sell for double.

Having said that, my next rig will be a custom action / non 700 varmint build of sorts to appreciate working the gun for that application & better long term value if i ever decide to do such.
          I don't THINK I'll sell it... but that's a good point. Look at GAP rifles. they go used for almost new pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
            I don't THINK I'll sell it... but that's a good point. Look at GAP rifles. they go used for almost new pricing.
            Yup. I would go ahead and spend the extra $900 to $1300 on a custom action. I have a great 700 done by Tip Burns that is as smooth as most customs, but it still says 700 on it!

Comment

Rifle build questions

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
              Yup. I would go ahead and spend the extra $900 to $1300 on a custom action. I have a great 700 done by Tip Burns that is as smooth as most customs, but it still says 700 on it!

Actually it’s probably cheaper. I’d be burning a perfectly good rifle to use that action. I could probably sell the gun easy for 400 bucks and put that towards an action.

And yes.. I’m being a little snobby and want a fluted bolt. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X