Grendel success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grendel success

Me and my brother were invited to go deer killing.
    This was far from hunting but very fun. I killed 2 doe, and a spike with my 18" grendel; it did no less damage than my brothers 270.
    I took 2 broadside and one almost frontal down into the heart.
    I was using Hornady black, and I must say the damage was perfect ; all bullets exited so I'm not certain of weight retention.
    This maybe the best whitetail cartridge I've ever played with.

Congratulations on the deer. I would be careful using that ammo( you obviously made great shots) but those bullets are not designed for big game. From what I know they are match ammo and probably won't expand properly. If the shot is not perfect it could lead to a lost deer. I'm not trying to get up in your business. I just looked at there web sight and found the info.

Comment

Congrats, I went on a shooting spree this last weekend my self. I shot a badger, and 2 turkeys with my grendel. Did they deer you shot run or did they drop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

1 made it maybe 25 yards.
        The bullet opened well and made a mess every time.
        The bullets are built like the sst
        Attached Files

Comment

Grendel success

So just to confirm you were using eld match bullet? What sized deer? Hill Country or South Texas?

Evidently there is a big debate on using this ammo/bullet on medium game and up. Lots of long range shooters have used the A-Max for years with good results. The ELD-M is supposedly the replacement.
          Last edited by KC Huntin; 11-08-2017, 07:54 AM.

Comment

That’s good to know I’m shooting the hornady black ammo as well

Comment

The little 6.5 Grendel. is a good little round. I plan on putting one together someday. Got some pieces, but no barrel yet. I was going to build a 6.5 Grendel, then got talked into doing a 270 AR. That is a very nice little round, but not a great choice for a AR-15. Maybe a AR-10. I may replace the 270 AR barrel with a 6.5 Grendel barrel, not sure at this point.

Sounds like the little round worked very well for you, that's good to know. I have read a lot about it, I have liked what I have read so far. I am definitely going to build one some day, just not sure, if I am going to pull the 270 AR barrel off or build another gun.

Comment

I have gotten to the point that unless I am going long range (300 RUM) or unless my dad takes it all I hunt with is the Grendel.

Comment

It's basically a lead hollow point with a plastic tip and thin jacket.
                  Expansion is not an issue, weight retention maybe.
                  I would not shoot into a shoulder but it's great on rib shots
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have used 178gr Amax bullets since they came out with them in my 308. I've killed lots of deer and large hogs through the shoulder they preformed perfectly. I also worked up a load for a friend who has taken 2 elk with his 308 and these bullets. the amax was a very good bullet & I expect the ELD to be even better.

Comment

Shot this dude last year at 175 yards with Hornady SST. He wouldn't stop walking. Put it in the boilermaker. He fell immediately.

Comment

I use Amax no issues. So does a buddy. No issues with the eldm as well. Now with that said if I’m shooting something bigger than whitetail then maybe step it up. But I watched a guy on tv go to Africa with a 162amax on tv and had no issues. And I had a 130gr SST splash on me. I don’t believe bulletin selection in Texas really matters.

Comment

I like it too! Didn't know they quit making the Amax bullets. I still have 3 boxes of 123gr. The ELD replaces the Amax?

Comment

The ELD-X and ELD-M are designed for different things.

"Another downside of using match bullets for hunting is high-velocity (close range impacts tend to make match bullets fragment on impact and not reach penetration depths needed for humane kills on game."

The page you are looking for could not be located. We're sorry, but it appears the page you have requested is no longer available. Please check the URL and try again....
                            Last edited by 35remington; 11-09-2017, 12:21 PM.

Comment

I have taken multiple deer with my Grendel. Love it. But I also shoot for shoulders

Comment

Working...
                              X