Spicy Low-Country Shrimp and Grits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special thanks goes out to Cajun Blake for helping me secure a bag of Louisiana's finest groceries and spices. Having the right ingredients always helps make a recipe great. Hope everyone gets to try this one as it is one of our family's favorite dishes - if you like it a little spice in your life....

Ingredients

Grits:

4 cups milk
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon course ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 cup stone-ground yellow grits
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/2 tablespoon pepper sauce
    4 ounces grated Cheddar

Shrimp:

1 1/2 pounds (21 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    6 oz diced andouille sausage
    2 teaspoons diced garlic
    1/4 cup butter
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 small chopped piquillo peppers
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/2 c cream to finish
    1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, basil)
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Sliced scallions

Directions

Grits: Bring milk, salt, pepper, and butter to a boil. Stir in grits, pepper flakes, and pepper sauce over low heat. When consistency is ready, in about 45 to 50 minutes add cheese and stir.

Shrimp: Toss shrimp in Cajun seasoning and set aside. In a saute pan, over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the sausage and render for 3 minutes or until crispy. Add garlic, stir for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and butter and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cayenne pepper, piquillo peppers, and pepper flakes. Add cream, and fresh herbs and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to finish. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Plate grits in a shallow bowls with shrimp mixture over the top. Garnish with scallions and serve.

sounds good!

Comment

my ears must be burning Mr Tom

i planned on making blackened garlic shrimp with tasso cheese grits this weekend but never got around to it

pic to make everyone's mouth water

Comment

Let's eat

Comment

Was a regular meal at my house growing up. Sure miss those days

Comment

campb

Originally posted by old shrimper View Post
            Was a regular meal at my house growing up. Sure miss those days
            Where can i get Yellow grits,help please.

Comment

Made this tonight, and it is freakin awesome. I could not find regular yellow grits, so I used instant. It was still great. I have never liked grits, but this will be a regular at my house from now on.

Comment

My absolute favorite meal ! If y'all ever make up to Fort Worth go by Buttons and order the Shrimpz and Gritz... If I could choose it would be my last meal.

Comment

Originally posted by CampB View Post
                  Where can i get Yellow grits,help please.
                  PM sent ..... Yellow grits include the whole kernel, while white grits use hulled kernels

Comment

Glad you enjoyed it MH1 and I could pass it on.

To those who have not tried, it's addicting

TD

Originally posted by mharris1 View Post
                    Made this tonight, and it is freakin awesome. I could not find regular yellow grits, so I used instant. It was still great. I have never liked grits, but this will be a regular at my house from now on.

Comment

Going shopping NOW! On the menu for tonight............ I'll post pics, might have to modify some ingredience.

Looks awesome.

Comment

Just finished cooking/eating this.

Absolutly AWESOME!

I have no idea what that pepper is soooo i substituted jap. for that, and used reg. sausage. Everyone loved it! I'll post pics later

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                          Just finished cooking/eating this.

Absolutly AWESOME!

I have no idea what that pepper is soooo i substituted jap. for that, and used reg. sausage. Everyone loved it! I'll post pics later
                          Andouille sausage is one of the wonders of the Louisiana cuisine heritage and is worth the effort to find it. To me it has the same effect as saffron in a dish. Find it if you can and use it in your next batch. Worth the google search or ask your local specialty food store.

Comment

Made this last night. Could not find the piquillo peppers. It was plenty spicy and flavorful without them, My friends and family thought this was an outstanding recipe. I will be making this again; although it is very rich, so it will be for special occassions. My wife just returned from New Orleans and heated up some of the left overs. Her words "that is as good as anything I ate in New Orleans".

Kudos to TD2000 for providing this recipe.

Comment

Pics
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X