No announcement yet.

38 acre land management advice/help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know the exact place that you bought. I looked at it last fall. During the time it took to get the land assessed by the NRCS for building a lake, I got distracted out of state with my daughter's drama and it was sold (I guess to you) when I got back to it.
    The land to the north of you is part of the APH hunting system, but there are some weird seasons in it, like it is closed during November, which will be good for you.
    It has a lot of marketable timber on it and a lot of good white and red oaks.
    My plan was to do a selective thinning of the timber and open it up a lot. Then use the proceeds from the timber cutting to build a lake parallel to the north fence line and develop the rest of the property to attract and support a variety of small game, which will also pull animals from the conservation land to the north of you.
    The NRCS did a soil test and said that the soil was as good as it gets in Anderson County for building a lake.
    You would have to build the dam wide enough to drive across because that NE corner would be cut off when the lake filled up.
    I have a consulting forester in Palestine that I use for my places. He personally selects the logging crews according to what you need done and then supervises them to make sure it is like you want it.
    I have a place about 10 miles SW of Elkhart. I told him that my primary objective for that place was for recreation and to support a variety of wildlife, with timber production secondary. He got the right crew in and did a thinning about 5 years ago and it did wonders for that place. It would do the same for yours.
    I have another place near Weches that is almost surrounded by DCNF that I am developing much the same way except that the soil won't hold water, so building a lake is out.
    Who are you using for dozer work?

Comment

bump

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
        I know the exact place that you bought. I looked at it last fall. During the time it took to get the land assessed by the NRCS for building a lake, I got distracted out of state with my daughter's drama and it was sold (I guess to you) when I got back to it.
        The land to the north of you is part of the APH hunting system, but there are some weird seasons in it, like it is closed during November, which will be good for you.
        It has a lot of marketable timber on it and a lot of good white and red oaks.
        My plan was to do a selective thinning of the timber and open it up a lot. Then use the proceeds from the timber cutting to build a lake parallel to the north fence line and develop the rest of the property to attract and support a variety of small game, which will also pull animals from the conservation land to the north of you.
        The NRCS did a soil test and said that the soil was as good as it gets in Anderson Chounty for building a lake.
        You would have to build the dam wide enough to drive across because that NE corner would be cut off when the lake filled up.
        I have a consulting forester in Palestine that I use for my places. He personally selects the logging crews according to what you need done and then supervises them to make sure it is like you want it.
        I have a place about 10 miles SW of Elkhart. I told him that my primary objective for that place was for recreation and to support a variety of wildlife, with timber production secondary. He got the right crew in and did a thinning
        about 5 years ago and it did wonders for that place. It would do the same for yours.
        I have another place near Weches that is almost surrounded by DCNF that I am developing much the same way except that the soil won't hold water, so building a lake is out.
        Who are you using for dozer work?
        our place is bout 10 minutes south of there. actually leaving there right now there are definitely some bruisers in that area

Comment

El Paisano did the NRCS draw up anything for you? I was thinking about having them come out but if you happen to have any of the data still, could you pass it on? I will give your forester a call. Hopefully I can have it thinned out just after deer season this year.

Comment

Place is looking good, Travis! Lots of potential!

Have you had a chance to set out a camera?

Comment

Looking Good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Haven't set out any cameras or feeders yet.

Comment

Spoke with a few foresters and should have a few ideas on what I can get on harvesting lumber. This brings me to my next question about ponds. I know I need more than a hole in the ground. I need a proper dam with a good angle bank and a piped overflow for the pond. The question is who would you recommend? Obviously I can't bring a best pond maker from Canada for example so preferably guys you have used or know.

Comment

Go talk to your local nrcs office.

Comment

Contacted the guy that did my watershed and soil survey to see if he suggested anyone.

Comment

I'm working with 27 ac and 18 ac that are 4wheeler ride apart near Apple Springs. Luckily already water on both. Both are pine tree farm and have had 1 thinning. Both border national forest. Good luck.

Comment

Finally an update. Between the heat and the passing of my dad I haven't been out there much so no pictures. I had a few foresters come check out the place and after much prayer and thought my wife and I decided to leave the trees be for now. The current landscape is better than a couple of extra bucks in our pockets for now, or the mess they may leave.

Second, we had some quotes for Pond given and they were out of our current price range so that is getting put off for a few years.

Third, we are acquiring almost another 6acres from the neighbor to the south. This will ensure that there is a buffer between the rental homes and our initial 38acres. We were very blessed and surprised to find out the owners wanted to sell.

Finally, my 45 foot container is being delivered next Wednesday. I'll have pictures of it when it gets there, plus updates as we build our cabin in it. Till next time.

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the update

Comment

One thing I have figured out over the past several years on my small place (currently 54ac) is to figure out where the deer want to be BEFORE placing feeders or food plots.

Pigs will come find a feeder, but around my place the deer will not go out of their way to get corn and basically did not touch a plot of peas last year.
                              Based on where I saw deer or sign I put several cameras out and then checked to see how many deer were frequenting those locations and at what interval.
                              Moved a feeder and planted a new plot and now see way more deer than in the past.
                              I know I can't grow big deer or even attempt to manage them on my small place, so I try to attract them or slow them down as they are passing through

Comment

Working...
                              X